Old gas?

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I have a buddy with a very similar situation. When he dyno'd his supercharged DOHC 5.4L F150, every aspect was spot on, but power wasnt like it should be. He would go home, scratch his head, replace fuel pump. Go back to dyno...same. Go home, replace, dyno, home replace, dyno. Even upgraded to a bigger crank pulley with same hp results....finally he tore down the engine with failed investigation. No clue what the culprit was. He suspected blown gaskets as well. Gaskets were perfect. Nothing on his end was the problem. The problem caught his eye and was totally unsuspecting. He corrected the problem and now the power is better than he figured at the first of it. The dyno graph keeps pulling to 5500rpm till the s/c belt breaks. Im supposed to be machining him out a 10rib setup when he decides he wants it.
Her is a pic of his truck

d98168159a84b82985268a1951921e35.jpg

do you know what his issue was?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yes I do. The lash adjusters. They wouldnt allow the valves to completely seat. Almost! But barely had the valves cracked, even after the heads sat around for a few months without cams installed with all the valve spring pressure. This is how he noticed it. All by chance he seen a crack of light through the seat. He beat himself up cause he re-used the stock 80kmile lashers.

Ive beat a dead horse about these stupid lash adjusters can kill power. How oil weight and oil changes are so important. This is essentially important if youve had any valve seat work done. The modular valve train is by far the most finicky ive encountered.

Im not stating this is your problem, but hey.....its info.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I do. The lash adjusters. They wouldnt allow the valves to completely seat. Almost! But barely had the valves cracked, even after the heads sat around for a few months without cams installed with all the valve spring pressure. This is how he noticed it. All by chance he seen a crack of light through the seat. He beat himself up cause he re-used the stock 80kmile lashers.

Ive beat a dead horse about these stupid lash adjusters can kill power. How oil weight and oil changes are so important. This is essentially important if youve had any valve seat work done. The modular valve train is by far the most finicky ive encountered.

Im not stating this is your problem, but hey.....its info.

I can't even remember if there is another option for lash adjusters for us. I know we can use the Ford GT followers but I think the LA's are 4V specific. Hmmmmmm

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Solid lashers. Im a firm believer in solid! Especially anything over stock power. To much voodoo BS....lock'em out. Although my buddy had goodluck just swapping in new ones.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
You know whats interesting...my car seems to have a pretty loud tick once the car is shut down, and it does sound like a lash adjuster is bleeding down. I wonder if I could have something going on with an adjuster. When I built this motor, I just bought new OEM ones and had them installed in the MMR PI heads. I really like these MHS TFS head/cam package, as they also come with Ford GT followers/rockers

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Valve seat work greatly affects the lash adjuster geometry. The lash adjusters are not ronco set it and forget it like most think. Their is an allowable variance, but getting to far from that chances problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online