Old VIN on a new(er) car

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I went online to transfer ownership from the guy I bought it from to me. My VIN comes up as a 1969 Chevy. All correspondence from online CA DMV online registration sites shows the OLD car and thusly my Transfer of Title fee as $860!! Normally, it’s under $50. But “The System” apparently seems tho think no registration or fees have been paid since 1969!

I contacted a company that researches records and they informed me that the DMV reuse VIN’s after 30 years for vehicles that are no longer in service. So my question is: with all DMV and AAA closed due to the Corona virus, how do I get title transferred ?

Any help or insight by those who have faced same or similar is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

07GtS197

Reaction score
That doesn’t make sense, looking up a vin decoder from that year your vin wouldn’t even be close. Either the system is messed up big time or theres something fishy going on. Does the vin on the dash match the one on the sticker in the door jamb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greg94

Reaction score
Also vin from 1969 is only 11 digits After 1981 they moved to 17.

Corrected 13 to 11 digits.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Are you sure they are all closed? I would have thought the DMV would remain open since it was in the automotive area and deemed necessary ot keep the cars rolling. Looking at mine they are not doing road tests but everything else seems to be open.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Here in Kentucky all of that is handled by the courts and county offices which have been closed. I need to check and see when they are reopening though.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Are you sure they are all closed? I would have thought the DMV would remain open since it was in the automotive area and deemed necessary ot keep the cars rolling. Looking at mine they are not doing road tests but everything else seems to be open.

ttocs,
Yes, I checked online that is what defaulted me to try to transfer title online at dmv.ca.gov
And I wasn’t about to fork over $860 to some “we’ll register it for you” online service so my investigation was borne...

Werecow

Reaction score
That doesn’t make sense, looking up a vin decoder from that year your vin wouldn’t even be close. Either the system is messed up big time or theres something fishy going on. Does the vin on the dash match the one on the sticker in the door jamb?

Yeh I'm with you.. I learned my lesson on that, double check your VIN with the one in the car dash, doorjam, and anywhere else you can find it on the car... Fenders, even under the fenders on the shock towers if you have to.. if it doesn't match the paperwork, you have a more serious issues...

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Aha!! I just checked again, and as of last Friday(?) 25 CA DMV offices are open. The 2 nearest to me are Glendale and Lancaster. I’ll probably go to Lancaster because it’s more remote so hopefully less crowded.

Thanks, ttocs. You put that bug in my ear to check again

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, just tried AGAIN to transfer title online since the Appointments drop down on the Ca DMV website won’t take appointments for title transfers. They must be done online. So again I try(tried same on 4/22). I filled in all the fields, attached front and back pictures of the CA Certificate of Title, as requested plus the 3 pictures from the title research showing the car originally a 1969. Proved I’m not a robot successfully each time did this (6 times total just now) and each time after I hit “submit” I immediately get an error message which reads,”Calculations have failed. Please try to fill all from beginning “. SIX TIMES IN A ROW. Kind of hard to do your diligence transferring title if the dmv website is f*d up

Werecow

Reaction score
Agree with ttocs... The o and ∅ thing is an easy one to miss as well...

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Possibly, I guess. It asks for the last 5 of the VIN and my last 5 start with a zero. Or at least what I thought was a zero. I’ll try again tomorrow using the letter “O”.

Good thought; certainly worth a try

greg94

Reaction score
Also the letter O...not zero, but the actual “letter”, I and Q are not used in any vin after 1981 as well. I think it is a system issue with the dmv online service. Hopefully your actual title has the correct info...or you will need to apply for a corrected title as well. That usually requires an physical inspection by the state police.

Adfalenski

Reaction score
When I registered my 1975 motorcycle in NC, the vin was in the old format. The DMV added numbers(which I have no idea what they mean) to make it a current vin accepted nationally. It is possible CA does the same.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Also the letter O...not zero, but the actual “letter”, I and Q are not used in any vin after 1981 as well. I think it is a system issue with the dmv online service. Hopefully your actual title has the correct info...or you will need to apply for a corrected title as well. That usually requires an physical inspection by the state police.
Greg94,
THAT’S IT!!! The zero IS the letter “O”. I now have a Request ID# with the DMV and will await response from them. Which is a shit-ton further than I’ve gotten with them to this point

AWESOME MAN.... THANKS THANKS THANKS! I never would have thought of that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online