Oldie but goldie

Ronnied

Reaction score
So let me introduce myself. I am a 55 yr old auto junkie. I am in the Auto Recycling business. Recently I had a young lady calling to sell a 87 Mustang vert v8 that had been sitting in her carport since 2010. After requesting a few pics I found it was a 94 GT vert. I took a chance and made an offer (800.00), a day later I went and picked it up. Straight body, no rust, top was replaced right before the trans failed and she parked it. I took a battery pack just to make sure the engine would spin over. When i got it home, I removed the tank and cleaned, replaced fuel pump and hanger, went to the local pull a part and found a perfect sending unit, filler neck and seal. Car runs great. I now have picked up a second free car and robbed the entire black interior and in the process of swapping. New parts waiting, styling bar, adjustable coil suspension, new brakes, a fresher fuel tank, all new hoses, belt, leadlights and parklights, 01 Explorer 5.0 for the HP parts, new cam and new front suspension componets. I'm not totally new to Mustangs, had a couple fox bodies. Do have a question....I need headers..any help?

OP
OP
Ronnied

Ronnied

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. So who has the best header info for running the HP heads?

tinnocker

Reaction score
I just had BBK shorties put on my 94' and they fit well on the AFR 165 heads and at my cat back. BBK sells a lot of these headers and I would guess they are the most popular brand. Long tubes are better if you are wanting the last bit of horsepower, but I understand they are harder to install. Some Mustang models require raising one side of the engine to slip them in, I am sure others will chime in. I have read in forums that the long tubes have a different sound than the shorties also. Check with the Mustang parts stores on the internet for brands available.

OP
OP
Ronnied

Ronnied

Reaction score
Thanks Tinnocker, I looked at the BBKs, I just want to make sure they will clear the plugs with the HP heads. Also, I have some extra interior parts if anyone needs, most are the black and tan but have some grey and black panels as well.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had bbk shortys and they were good for sound/performance but it didn't take long for the chrome finish to wear off. I am currently running JBA ceramic coated shortys and they are a little beefier build and the ceramic coating as held up nicely.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Welcome, and certainly a nice deal!

When you say "HP" heads, are you referring to the four-bar GT40-P heads? If so, then yes, special headers are needed. If they're standard GT40 heads (three-bar), then any standard header will work fine.

Mine are P's, and I have MAC P-specific headers that are unfortunately no longer sold. I'm not sure what might still be available today, but know it's becoming an issue. Some people say you need 90° boots for the plug wires, but I found that 45° work well on mine, although I did add fiberglass sleeves to keep the wires off the header if/when they shift position.

Good luck with the project!

EDIT: This might be helpful... (from THIS LINK)

WHICH VEHICLES HAD GT40 HEADS?

• 1993-1995 Mustang Cobra | Part# F3ZE or F4ZE
  • 1996-Mid 1997 Ford Explorer & Mountaineer SUV | Part# F1ZE-AA
  • 1993-1995 Ford F-150 Lightning | Part# F3ZE or F4ZE
The GT40 heads can be found specifically on the 1993-1995 SVT Cobra Mustang as well as the 1993-1995 SVT Lightning. These can also be found on the 1996-Mid 1997 Ford Explorer & Mercury Mountaineer SUV.

WHICH VEHICLES HAD GT40P HEADS?

• Mid 1997+ Explorer/Mountaineer SUV Models | Part# F77E-AA

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ronnied

Ronnied

Reaction score
These are supposed to be GT40P heads, so 4 bar I would say. Still learning the interchange aspect. Thank you for the input. Now I still have to find some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Staff online

Members online