ON the verge of blowing my tranny

98gtpony

Reaction score
well guys my transmission is about to go out for good.. It used to slip in to second alot and now it does it in first and second. I am going to have it rebuilt but i want to put bigger and better parts in it.. What can i do to improve shifts and make it an overall strong trans.. Its an auto by the way... thanks guys :noes:

ma97gt

Reaction score
What comes int he 98's?? Its the AODE's isn't it, or the 4r70w? Either way, put good clutches in it, either Ray besteos blues or Alto reds.

I have built a few AOD's for fox-body's and use the 4r70w parts to upgrade. Sometimes I use the planetary gears set to upgrade the 1st & 2nd gear ratio. And majority of the time, I upgrade to one way clutch to the mechanical diode and use the 4r70w intermediate pressure plate and clutch set-up. I'm not sure if the AOD-E has the mechanical diode set-up already or not??? If it does that will save you some $$$.. And by using the 4r70w intermediate set-up, you go from a 3 clutch pak to a 4 clutch pak. Also get the bigger overdrive servo and a better OD band(kevlar). And couple of the most important things, is a better cooler if you are still using the factory one, and a bigger pan. That way you hold more fluid and keep it cooler!!! If you just do a stock rebuild, at-least do the pan & cooler. Heat is one of the main or, if not the main KILLER among automatic transmissions...

But it funds permit, I say get a built tranny from a good source, like Art Carr, Lentech, I.E.....

And here is a decent site to check out for parts I mentions to give you an idea... http://www.transmissioncenter.net/aode.htm

voidfinger

Reaction score
so how does the car feel when it is slipping? i got the 4r70w and it feels different, but maybe its because the fluid is in extremely bad need of changeing. +!1 on the cooler, bigger pan might be a good idea too.

OP
OP

98gtpony

Reaction score
well when i come to a stop and then go. My RPM's go really high and i go NOWHERE :rant:

voidfinger

Reaction score
ouch, mine did that a couple times when i was turning to the right, and i was turning fast and then got on it coming out the turn and then it run up high and then jerked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online