ONCE I get my 4.10's, J-MOD needs to be done, right? Is that the best way?

W

Wes8398

I have a similar thread on Modular Depot, but I just wanted to get some opinions since the MD thread is kind of losing people who were contributing to it.

I would love to get my hands on some 4.10's, and I had the idea that gears were a plug-n-play kinda thing ... once they're in, you modify your speed-o gear accordingly, and you're good to go. The more I learn about this mod, the more I am realizing (being told) that you need to modify your tranny as well (mine's an auto). Is the JMOD the best way to go? Or are there other/easier/better alternatives out there? Suggestions welcome!

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

Matt94GT said:
With a 4.6 I think you get somthing called a SPEED-CAL or somthing along those lines to modify it for the new gears.
A speed cal is where you change the gear for the speed-o so it reads the correct speeds. It's not electronic like other (later) model Mustangs. It's just the gear that you change in the speed-o.
What I am asking about is internal changes in the transmission that need to be done (ie: the JMOD) and other methods to get your shift points correct. Because going from stock gears to 4.10's will cause you to hit the rev limiter at WOT without some changes in shift points. From what I'm learning on my regular forum (modular depot) these shift points are changed by using a hand held tuner like the XCAL 2 or Diablo, etc.
Unfortunately I was hoping that I could just spend the money on the gears and install and that would be it. I can't afford a tuner, or the shop time to actually USE the tuner on top of the cost of gears and install ... so it looks like gears are much further down the road then I had hoped. :(

281powered

Reaction score
i dono about an auto but with my 5 speed 4.6 when i swapped in the 3:90's i just had to get a $14 speedo gear from the loval auto shop and i was on my way. obviously a speed cal would be the better bet but i wasn't going to spend a another shit load of money after the gear swap when the speedo gear would be fine to use.

97vertstang

Reaction score
hes asking about changing the shift points in hes automatic tranny since with the 4.10s the auto will shift at higher levels. well i had 3.73s on my 97 without any other changes and the auto would shift around 5700-5900 at wide open throttle. maybe 4.10s will make it shift higher :dunno: but i never had any problems with mine. i know the 99-04 u can change the shift points with a handheld, predator or x cal 2 , but i dont think u can with a 96-98????call predator, hypertech and superchips, and ask about the options with their handheld tuners. a jmod will make the shifts hit harder, but dont know anything else from the j mod never did it.sorry i cant help much, ask the same question in the 96-98 section

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

You're exactly right 5.hoe ... I wouldn't be talking about changing shift points if it were a manual. It's a 97gt. I do remember reading a thread or 2 about handhelds not even being available for 96-98's, but I don't know if that's true. Why would you think the shift points might not be manipulatable (wow, never used that word before! spell check liked it though! lol) if there is a tuner for my car?
281 - thats because you've got a manual. Changing your shift points entails YOU shifting earlier, not the car. :ass3:

97vertstang

Reaction score
i know hypertech has a tuner for 96-98 but all they do in 96-98 is the premium tune. they can change nothing in the tranny shift points or speedometer.u might have to get a custom tune to manipulate the computer to shift at exactly the rpm u want it to.i would say get the 4.10s and see what happens ??? like i told u when i had 3.73s in my 97, i had no problems and shifted at 57-5900. try it and if u feel like it wants to rev to high ask around to see what u can do about it. in the 96-98 section theres lots of guys with 4.10s and autos. ask there :thumb:

badass98svt

Reaction score
I know SCT maxes an X cal for 96-98s, cuz I'll be buying one over the winter for my 98 4V

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

5.hoe - I'll post up a thread in the 96-98 section and see what they say. I'd rather not just get the gears and "hope for the best" because this is my DD we're talking about and also a tight budget we're dealing with. So I wanna know what I'm in store for BEFORE I get the gears, yanno?

badass - But I wonder if those do anything for tranny programming, or if they're like the one 5.hoe was talking about too.

badass98svt

Reaction score
SCT's programmer can change shift points, from what I remember. However Diablo's will not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Staff online

Members online