Open side scoops

SonicStang

Reaction score
My friend has a 1994 GT and his side scoops are open, means the air goes through an oval hole in the rear fender to the tire.
Mine is 96 and my scoops are fake... anybody yet cut them open?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen guys drill holes and duct the air to the rear brakes but i wouldn't do that unless i was road racing my car.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I've "thought" of doing this w/ my IRS setup but there isn't much room between the tire and the inner fender sheetmetal and is much more of a hassle than what it gets you.

badass98svt

Reaction score
It's a joke, it's more for appearance than anything. They definitely do not cool the brakes. If anything, i'd think they throw air on the tire, which would hurt performance, and in the rain would be worse as well.
94 and 95 stangs had the "functional" scoops. 96-98 did not.
Don't butcher your car up, cuz it would be worthless, unless you were to fab a hose from the duct to the center of your brake rotor.
But still rear brakes are hardly used, they don't really need to be cooled, unless you do heavy auto X.

OP
OP
S

SonicStang

Reaction score
Reason I was asking: I thought about getting the CDC side scoops, but I am afraid they fall off at high Autobahn speeds. Maybe with opened scoops the air flows through and the possibility of falling off would be smaller.

98vortech

Reaction score
i already did this.. took out the interior panels, took out the side scoops. then drilled holes in each little circle in the plastic piece. then cut a square section for the air to go through. plan on getting the 94-96 covers for the square hole.. and i also planned on getting side scoops so it did not hold back so much air..

Thomas_W

Reaction score
98vortech said:
i already did this.. took out the interior panels, took out the side scoops. then drilled holes in each little circle in the plastic piece. then cut a square section for the air to go through. plan on getting the 94-96 covers for the square hole.. and i also planned on getting side scoops so it did not hold back so much air..

post pics, as i'm interested to see how you did it. I was gonna make some CF or fiberglass ducts to direct the air to cool the rear brakes.

OP
OP
S

SonicStang

Reaction score
Thomas_W said:
98vortech said:

post pics, as i'm interested to see how you did it. I was gonna make some CF or fiberglass ducts to direct the air to cool the rear brakes.

I wanna see pics, too!!!

FASTANG

Reaction score
SonicStang said:
Reason I was asking: I thought about getting the CDC side scoops, but I am afraid they fall off at high Autobahn speeds. Maybe with opened scoops the air flows through and the possibility of falling off would be smaller.
I promise you this..... I too was worried about them flying off. Use 3M doubled sided
tape and they will be so stuck you would swear you'd rip the paint to the bare metal
before they let loose. DON'T FEAR THE SCOOP.

wht46gt

Reaction score
yeah i do some auto x mostly martin sports motor club and scca and ive gotten pics of my car with the rear brakes like almost on fire sometimes id reall like to do this simple upgrade it would help alot with the brake fade, def. need some pics of the job though

98vortech

Reaction score
ok guys here ya go..now dont mine the huge hole all you have to do is try and find the covers that come on the 94-95's and it will look good.
travispics305.jpg

travispics307.jpg

wht46gt

Reaction score
what are those things called that cover the wholes, how did you cut the wholes did you use a sawzaw or a cutting wheel

OP
OP
S

SonicStang

Reaction score
98vortech said:
ok guys here ya go..now dont mine the huge hole all you have to do is try and find the covers that come on the 94-95's and it will look good.
travispics305.jpg

travispics307.jpg

I cannot see the pics :(

98vortech

Reaction score
step by step
1. take out interior pieces to get to the scoops.
2. un-bolt them
3. take a drill bit that is the same size as the fake holes and drill them
4.cut you a hole in the finder. i used a jig saw
5.then bolt it back up and try to find some covers

wht46gt

Reaction score
do you know if theres enough room behind the wheel well to run a pipe to the back of the brakes or is there only room for just the whole

98vortech

Reaction score
depends on your tire size i have 315's so their is no way but after you do the cutting see if you can fab somethin up.

wht46gt

Reaction score
98vortech said:
depends on your tire size i have 315's so their is no way but after you do the cutting see if you can fab somethin up.
im gonna try to make somethin out of fiverglass sheating or somethin or ill just leave the whole

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online