Opinions about the GT500 Cobra

jpajkos

Reaction score
Alright guys I need some serious opinion here. Me and a friend go back and forth about the shelby cobra. He works for ford own a 96 snake nice car but knocks on the shelby. He's says it doesn't size up to the new z06. This kinda irritates me. Chevy up'd the displace of there motor to a 427 7.0 liter for crying out loud and ford matched it with a super charged 330. He says it weight more. Grant it i'll give him that but how can people argue and say it doesnt match up. I mean is it just mean or am i stupid? heres what I found

C6 Z06
Record last updated 01 / 17 / 2006
Country of origin United States
Year of introduction 2005
Introduced at 2005 NAIAS
Numbers built N/A
Body design N/A
Weight 1420 kilo / 3130.6 lbs
Drivetrain
Engine LS7 90º V 8
Engine Location Front , longitudinally mounted
Displacement 7.011 liter / 427.8 cu in
Valvetrain 2 valves / cylinder, OHV
Fuel feed Fuel injection
Aspiration Naturally Aspirated
Gearbox Tremec 6 speed Manual
Drive Rear wheel drive
Performance figures
Power 500 bhp / 373 KW @ 6200 rpm
Torque 657 Nm / 485 ft lbs @ 4800 rpm
BHP/Liter 71 bhp / liter
Power to weight ratio 0.35 bhp / kg
Top Speed N/A

7 liter motor pushing 505 at the crank at 6200 RPMS Displacement is a 427 let me say that again 427. Shelby's displacement 330? Making 500 horses at 3500 rpms? Im just wondering other then the weight factor how doesn't the shelby size up? They both go for 80k they both make 500 horse's and the cobra has a smaller displacement. 427 vs 330. I just want to know your views.

Body
Construction Unitized welded steel body, aluminum hood

SHELBY GT500
Engine
Type V-8
Manufacturing location Romeo, Michigan
Configuration Iron Block and Aluminum Heads
Intake manifold Cast-aluminum with screw-type supercharger and air-to-water intercooler
Exhaust manifold Cast iron
Crankshaft Forged steel
Throttle body Dual 55 mm, electronic
Valvetrain DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Valve diameter Intake: 37.0 mm
Exhaust: 32.0 mm
Pistons Forged aluminum
Connecting rods Cracked forged steel I-beams
Ignition Coil-on-plug
Bore x stroke 3.552 x 4.165 in. / 90.22 x 105.8 mm
Displacement 330 cu. in. / 5,409 cc
Horsepower More than 450
Torque 450 lb.-ft

Drivetrain
Layout Rear-wheel drive

Transmission
Standard (Type) T-56 6-speed manual
Gear ratios
1st 2.97
2nd 1.78
3rd 1.3
4th 1.0
5th .80
6th .63
Final drive 3.31

Suspension
Front Reverse-L independent MacPherson strut, 34-mm tubular stabilizer bar
Rear Three-link solid axle with coil springs, Panhard rod, 24-mm solid stabilizer bar

Brakes
Type Four wheel power disc
Front Brembo 14-inch vented and cross-drilled disc, four-piston aluminum calipers
Rear Brembo 13-inch vented and cross-drilled disc, two-piston calipers

Wheels and Tires
P255/45R19 tires and 19 x 9.5-in machined aluminum wheels

Exterior
Wheelbase 107.1 in.
Overall length 188 in.
Overall width 73.9 in.
Overall height 55.7 in.
Track width, front/rear 61.9 in. / 62.5 in.
Ground clearance 5.71 in.

Interior
Seating capacity 4 passenger
Headroom
Front row 38.8 in.
Second Row 36.3 in.
Legroom
Front row 42.7 in.
Second row 30.3 in.
Shoulder room
Front row 55.4 in.
Second Row 45.0 in.
Hip room
Front row 53.6 in.
Second row 45.2 in.
Cargo Volume 9.7 cu. ft.

Im not at all knocking the z06. It's a damn fine machine. But Im a man of reality and reality tell me that it has no problem matching up to anything. Info please everyone.

OP
OP
J

jpajkos

Reaction score
Dude obviously you didn't understand this post. I didn't ask how much you would pay for it I asked how from a performance stand point the GT500 didn't size up to the Z06. I wouldn't pay 80k for any car but thanks for your post???

CanaryGT

Reaction score
All i have to say is if you want a chevy, go with the vette. If you want a ford .... well get the cobra. On the roadcourse and the strip, the vette beats the shelby. Sad, we know, but the thing is your kinda talking apples and oranges. I cant compare a HUGE N/A engine vs. a Forced Induction Car. They are just different. For example, I love the saleen s7. The first one was fine the way it was. However, they decided to TT (twin turbo) the ****** and now is 750hp and 750 Tq..... But its not the same car because of that.

They are both great cars, but I love them in different ways.... Well that and all I can say is that damn GT500 Looks SEXY! :khobra:

OP
OP
J

jpajkos

Reaction score
OK but as far as achieving the number my question is how doesn't the GT500 compare. Chevy has to achieve this with a 7.0 liter motor. Ford did the same thing with a s/c 330. Could you imagine what kind of numbers ford would make if they produced a mustang with a 7.0 liter motor?? DO you think the company would have a hard time putting 500 to the ground?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
You didn't say in your info there but the Cobra does weigh in at 3920 pounds ( that came off the Ford web-site so its the right weight ) and THAT is the defence maker in my opinion. Ford got all the other things right on this car, no a 330 is not a big 7.0 motor but that blower makes all the change in the world :D. It has a solid axle big wheels and a great suspension set up. The hp and tq is obviously there, its just that over coming about 800 pounds in weight is a HUGE TASK for the Cobra to accomplish. Look at it this way in terms of straight line performance use the old formula of 100 pounds = one tenth in the quarter. Do the math on that ....................yea we are talking near a damn SECOND that could be shaved off the 1/4 mile time by ford simply cutting the fat off this new Cobra. The guys at GM know how to get the job done when it comes to making a Vette KICK ASS plain and simple, ................LOW BODY WEIGHT and a damn strong motor.

WTF is so hard about Ford understanding that :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: if they would have keep the weight down on this car ( obviously they didn't learn a damn thing from the 03-04 Cobra with its HEAVY ass body that hurt its performance :mad: ) and just carried that boat anchor mentality over to this new car :-[. But in the long run look at what you get with a Z06 a car that has a HUGE / STRONG / WELL BUILT MOTOR / LIGHT BODY / SUPERB HANDLING / SWEET STYLING and a price tag to match all that MSRP starts at 68 thousand for the 06 model. That's a BIG hunk of change :eek: :eek:

Compared to the Cobra that starts at 36 and goes to just over 40k. So what would you rather have...........er spend :) The weight thing really pisses me off :rant: :rant: all they had to do was keep that down, and we would not even be talking about this :mad:

OP
OP
J

jpajkos

Reaction score
I agree 110% on the weight factor, and by some mods like taking the rear seat out anothor few things the 800 pounds can be shaved off pretty easily. Corvette is a 2 seater compaired to fords 4 seater. Not the anothor set of seats makes 800 pounds but the hardware etc for that sure does take a factor. I think if ford would have stuck kind of with a Cobra R inspired cabin racing seats, etc etc that it would have easily matched up when it came to weight. But as far as engine development I think ford matche's the Z06 with flying colors. If ford dropped a 7liter motor in a stang that motor would push a hell of alot more then 500 to the wheels IMO.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
jpajkos said:
I agree 110% on the weight factor, and by some mods like taking the rear seat out anothor few things the 800 pounds can be shaved off pretty easily. Corvette is a 2 seater compaired to fords 4 seater. Not the anothor set of seats makes 800 pounds but the hardware etc for that sure does take a factor. I think if ford would have stuck kind of with a Cobra R inspired cabin racing seats, etc etc that it would have easily matched up when it came to weight. But as far as engine development I think ford matche's the Z06 with flying colors. If ford dropped a 7liter motor in a stang that motor would push a hell of alot more then 500 to the wheels IMO.

I agree, the modular has come a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGG way in the last 10 years :dancing6:. And this new blown 5.4 proves that, its just too damn bad they could not do the one thing that is TRUELY hurting the cars full potential.

95 Sleeper

Reaction score
jpajkos said:
:rollinglaugh: and just think what would happen if Chevy put a blower on its vette...... I can not stand this argument since it is comparing apples to oranges

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
95 Sleeper said:
jpajkos said:
:rollinglaugh: and just think what would happen if Chevy put a blower on its vette...... I can not stand this argument since it is comparing apples to oranges

Thats true, but they didnt so its not in this equation. Bottom line here is the Z06 has a following of fans and guys that pay all that money to drive one, its not like they are un-beatable ;D ;D you can take a 1987 rust bucket GT and with 2 grand put a brown rusty streak down the side of that 70 thousand dollar car.

OP
OP
J

jpajkos

Reaction score
How is it compairing apples to oranges? Please bottom line is ford would match if have more power if they went with a n/a 7liter. Wouuld it be compairing apple to oranges if this was an arguement over the z06 and the viper..... NO im strickly stating that I want to know other then the weight factor how the GT500 doesn't size up to the vette.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
jpajkos said:
How is it compairing apples to oranges? Please bottom line is ford would match if have more power if they went with a n/a 7liter. Wouuld it be compairing apple to oranges if this was an arguement over the z06 and the viper..... NO im strickly stating that I want to know other then the weight factor how the GT500 doesn't size up to the vette.

I dont see anything worth noteing :dunno: Just the wow factory maybe :-\

G

GREG@SN95

jpajkos said:
they're different cars all together...

mustang has a back seat... different suspension... looks different...

the zo6 is just an engine... built for speed

Alot of people don't only look at performance numbers...

Kinda like buying a Lambo for $200,000 when a z06 is faster

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
jpajkos said:

those are valad points like I said the WOW factor because you have a Z06 8)

Even if the Cobra beside it has a blower and 150 more hp with the pulley and cpu flash ;D

G

GREG@SN95

Snakebit said:
GREG@SN95 said:
jpajkos said:

Even if the Cobra beside it has a blower and 150 more hp with the pulley and cpu flash ;D

can't swap pullies on the GT500

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
Snakebit said:
GREG@SN95 said:
jpajkos said:

whaaaa? I have not heard that :eek:

can't swap pullies on the GT500

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online