Opinions for long tube headers on 97 Cobra convertable.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm considering getting some long tube headers for My car and I welcome your opinions.

The car is just a fun driver, only engine mods are SLP catless X pipe, magnaflow catback and JLT cold air intake, stock K member.

No immediate plans for a supercharger But maybe an Eaton swap or Procharger some day. I plan to keep the EGR stuff since there is really no need to delete it.

I have H&R Super sport springs which are about a 2" drop. Tubes and collectors need to not hang below the X brace.

I would love to do Kooks or ARH but don't want to spend that much.

Brands I'm considering are Bassani, BBK, Mac and anything else in the $5-700.00 price range. Ceramic coated preferred.

Opinions please.

Thanks!

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Given how low you are I'd consider mid lengths like the Bassanis. That's what I have/had and I was happy with them. Can you pick up a set of SLP headers and use them with your current mid pipe or is it a one piece mid pipe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

PinkieT

Reaction score
Long tubes will hit the factory convertible-only bracing under the front end, I'm told. Shortys should fit fine, don't know about mid-length. The bracing is a bolt-on, IIRC, but it would allow the unibody to flex more, not a good thing in a car with no roof already. Your choice, man.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't bother with shorties. From my research they're not with much gains. Would a good set of subframe connectors make up for that brace missing?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Save the money and hard work for a power adder. Problem solved!!! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Like what the others stated about force feeding. Headers really dont improve power considering money spent and the shear head drama needed to install them. Best to save for the power adder.

Now if your main focus was max horsepower naturally aspirated, then yes by all means fit them into the funds!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What’s the purpose of the car and it’s overall goals? If you plan on turning a droptop into a 1,000hp dragster then yes, you need all the help it can get.

But if your looking for 400-500hp then the longtubes won’t get you there as fast as a supercharger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. I asked the question because this section has been dead for quite a while. I don't post much but I look in to see what's going on most days.

I Know I won't see much in terms of performance from adding headers but I don't really care. I'm an old guy and most of my cars in the past have had them so I just want them mostly because of the sound.

I had shorties on my 98 GT and don't see much point. They don't even look good...

I don't have subframe connectors yet but soon. I'm thinking Stifflers Matrix, I had MM connectors on the GT and loved them. I will be keeping the X brace. This car would suck without it.

Forced induction isn't in the plan for now, maybe someday. As far as the work required to install the headers, I don't mind dropping the K member. I have had it out of the car a few times. I had to replace my oil pan gasket right after I installed the suspension.

Goal for the car is to have a fun cruiser that looks and sounds good is somewhat fast and reliable.

I had pretty much already decided to get the Bassani mid length headers. My X pipe is the SLP with removeable cats, I had it on my GT for a long time. The cats started making noise when I put it on the Cobra so I deleted them. Sounds much better without them.

I have MIL eliminators so no codes. We have emissions every 2 years so I will need some cats in 2 years to pass inspection.

So on to the next question. Stage 8 bolts? Studs? What are you guys using?

All of my suspension is new and clean and my K member has indexing hole so I can get it lined up easily. I have a tranny jack that I clamp the K member to and can remove and install it by my self.

PinkieT

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't bother with shorties. From my research they're not with much gains. Would a good set of subframe connectors make up for that brace missing?

I'll have to crawl under the car tomorrow and check, but I think it helps triangulate the front end, kind of like the strut tower brace except from the bottom of the car and not the top. If you are adding power, a set of subframe connectors is a good idea anyway.

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I'll have to crawl under the car tomorrow and check, but I think it helps triangulate the front end, kind of like the strut tower brace except from the bottom of the car and not the top. If you are adding power, a set of subframe connectors is a good idea anyway.
The X brace helps stiffen the K member where it connects to the unibody.

Subframe connectors help connect the front and rear of the car. Ideally you want both.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PinkieT

Reaction score
:)
The X brace helps stiffen the K member where it connects to the unibody.

Subframe connectors help connect the front and rear of the car. Ideally you want both.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks for clearing that up! Now I don't have to get my creaky old body on my back on concrete :D

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. I asked the question because this section has been dead for quite a while. I don't post much but I look in to see what's going on most days.

I Know I won't see much in terms of performance from adding headers but I don't really care. I'm an old guy and most of my cars in the past have had them so I just want them mostly because of the sound.

I had shorties on my 98 GT and don't see much point. They don't even look good...

I don't have subframe connectors yet but soon. I'm thinking Stifflers Matrix, I had MM connectors on the GT and loved them. I will be keeping the X brace. This car would suck without it.

Forced induction isn't in the plan for now, maybe someday. As far as the work required to install the headers, I don't mind dropping the K member. I have had it out of the car a few times. I had to replace my oil pan gasket right after I installed the suspension.

Goal for the car is to have a fun cruiser that looks and sounds good is somewhat fast and reliable.

I had pretty much already decided to get the Bassani mid length headers. My X pipe is the SLP with removeable cats, I had it on my GT for a long time. The cats started making noise when I put it on the Cobra so I deleted them. Sounds much better without them.

I have MIL eliminators so no codes. We have emissions every 2 years so I will need some cats in 2 years to pass inspection.

So on to the next question. Stage 8 bolts? Studs? What are you guys using?

All of my suspension is new and clean and my K member has indexing hole so I can get it lined up easily. I have a tranny jack that I clamp the K member to and can remove and install it by my self.

I never had a vert but I loved having the bbk long tube headers on my cobra. It was a long time ago but I remember the install was quit a pain in the ass even with the k member out. Go with the stage 8 bolts and studs and some good gaskets. Just beware if your car is low these things hang down very low.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Bassanis use a different kind of gasket. You can't use the stock gaskets. When I did mine I kept the stock studs and used orange RTV. They never leaked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online