Opinions of Cobra IRS swap...

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I tried the search, to no avail. So I will start a new thread.

That being said, how many of you have upgraded(?) to the Cobra IRS? I have read the interview with Maximum Motorsports driver Dave Royce (I think that's his name) about his driving experience in the same exact car with a MM torque arm and panhard bar live axle and then the same car with a MM built Cobra IRS. I am pretty sold on the idea, but I am curious to see your opinions on the swap.

How many of you have done this?
What are your impressions?
Tips/advice for those interested in switching?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
SVTstang96 white95 Handz

I'm not sure who else. Its a great upgrade, I think it gets pretty expensive if you want to go beyond just the swap?

Also, someone should move this thread to the right section.

SVTstang96

Reaction score
I love it! If you keep an eye out you can get a pretty good deal on a 03-04 IRS (stronger). I paid something like $900 for mine which was complete from rotor to rotor, had derlin knuckle bushings, poly subframe bushings, bullitflow diff brace, mm tie rod ends, mm adjustable pinion angle bushings, etc. After selling your old parts you should be able to get a good amount of money back. Just keep an eye out for a good deal locally and hopefully he has the exhaust also. Those can get pretty expensive if you have to buy one new....

Some say you can use the stock driveshaft, some can not. I was able to luckily! Overall its a pretty easy swap. Bolt on some brackets, do some welding, run some new brake lines, and the rest is all bolt in. I have a link to all the brake line parts that I purchased from belmetric.com if you would like to see them.

Overall I would rate the difficulty as a 6/10, and will take anywhere from 5-10 hours to install, but well worth it!

OP
OP
D

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I cannot seem to find anything about this elusive aftermarket rear subframe that I have seen mentioned in a couple of the threads I have read. I know that the Cobra IRS had to be designed around the solid axle mounting points, but what are the shortcomings of its design? What did the new/modified cradle fix? It seems that if there was a big enough problem with the factory cradle, that one of the big boys in the Mustang suspension game would have jumped in with their version by now.

And do the Kenny Brown Racing tubular control arms still suffer the quality issues mentioned in those write-ups?

And is this the right T-fitting for the brake line?
https://www.belmetric.com/blt10x10bf475-cohline-brake-tee-p-1109.html?zenid=kegv9kolqacc50mhj1u6o9r613&cPath=17_564_1107_1108
Would any additional brake line be required if you had the OEM brake lines on a complete Cobra IRS and the proper T-fitting to split the OEM '95GT brake line?

SVTstang96

Reaction score
I cannot seem to find anything about this elusive aftermarket rear subframe that I have seen mentioned in a couple of the threads I have read. I know that the Cobra IRS had to be designed around the solid axle mounting points, but what are the shortcomings of its design? What did the new/modified cradle fix? It seems that if there was a big enough problem with the factory cradle, that one of the big boys in the Mustang suspension game would have jumped in with their version by now.

And do the Kenny Brown Racing tubular control arms still suffer the quality issues mentioned in those write-ups?

And is this the right T-fitting for the brake line?
https://www.belmetric.com/blt10x10b...9kolqacc50mhj1u6o9r613&cPath=17_564_1107_1108
Would any additional brake line be required if you had the OEM brake lines on a complete Cobra IRS and the proper T-fitting to split the OEM '95GT brake line?

Well it depends on what year mustang you are putting it into. The 99-04 you won't need anything. However the 96-98 you need a M10x1.5 Bubble Flare Tee Fitting. I also purchased 36" of pre assembled M10x1.5 brake line. I used this to run from the tee to the driver side soft line. I then took the stock brake lines that go across the SRA cut them down, flared the end, and then bent them to run from the tee to passenger side soft line. I know 94-95 are different however I have never done one. I can look into it and see what would all be needed if you wanted.

OP
OP
D

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Thanks svt, but I remember reading it in one of the build/swap threads I have found. I can find it again. I am still in research mode, no where near ready to start collecting parts. To be honest, I don't even have a SN. I am trying to get all the information/opinions/advice I can to build a case for my friend, Tyler, to do this swap to his 95GT.

Handz

Reaction score
Simply put, The IRS Swap was one of the best mods, if not the best mod I have ever done. Cost be about $1500 to do the entire swap.

The swap is not easy. People say its easy, but its not. You need to have EVERY LITTLE PART before you install.... and there is ALOT of little parts. You need to fab brakes lines and re-bend stock lines. You need to weld the IRS to the frame or drill holes in the trunk. You need you do alot of things to get it right.

That being said, I attempted it and was successful. Car drives so nice now that it's mindblowing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online