Opinions on Nitrous

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Buddy of mine was talking to me about my plans for catching my buddy Brian now that he has a procharger. After my last thread I had planned on On3 all the way but he told me it's a total shit kit. I kinda knew that, but I was hoping the newer kits would be better. Idk. Anyways he told me he had a 100 shot on his Terminator and that he highly recommends I do some research on them and see about installing one on my car. He did tell me about the possibility of.. Well catastrophe, which is why I never wanted one in the first place. But the affordability is just insane. You can pick up a top notch kit for under a grand... I have 145k on my car tho, and it leaks oil from the front main... I just have a reeeeally bad gut feeling that even if I get that front main fixed, that with 145k on the clock that I'm gonna blow it to pieces. Especially when the tq gains I saw went from 279 NA to 456 NOS..... That's an explosion waiting to happen IMO. What do you guys think? NOS or On3?

He also said why not Terminator engine swap it, lol I reminded him I don't have that kinda money. He had warned me to just save the money and buy a Hellion.. Idk guys I'm only looking for 400whp since my lower end is bone ass stock. And a Hellion cost more than I paid for the damned car... Opinions?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Its seems like you want the most realible power for the cheapest.
I vote supercharger, but it seems like you don't want that.

I'm not a nos fan, but I can't see great things coming from a huge shot. I think you can get away with a small shot, but that won't reach your target.
Turbo or nos, you're gonna have to spend the penny or face the consequences.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
It really all comes down to budget, preference, and your expertise with installs on these engines. Are you going to be doing the install yourself? Any power adder will get you to 400rwhp no problem. Do you want 400rwhp there at the push of the pedal, or do you want it via WOT switch from nitrous? It really all just comes down to preference and budget. All guys who run nitrous will rave about why you should run that, and vice versa for those who have blowers honestly.

chris91

Reaction score
I have a buddy that swears by nitrous on his terminators and so does his buddy. As long as you do your research and put together a decent kit it'll be safe. Not some ZEX shit either. I've thought about running some on mine once I get this damned trans problem figured out. I say do it Joey!

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Keep in mind termi's running nitrous are running juice on top of a power adder so gains can't nearly be compared to his setup...just a reminder

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I'll be installing it myself. Idk I'm kinda thinking like Orange, that much power THAT fast just.. Can't be good can it? My personal preference honestly would be turbo. Because driving around town I don't have to be in boost just by touching the pedal, it's not an instant hard shot on the motor which is old and tired, and because I've always wanted one lol. I'm kicking around the idea of the nos kit because of the affordability aspect. I'm so ****ing bad at making up my mind when it comes to what power adder I want, but to be completely honest a centri is on the bottom of my list. I know a lot of people who swear by them, but I just don't see anything I like. Belt slippage, shit mileage (which is a BIG thing for me, as I daily it in the spring/summer/fall), can never NOT hear the whistle (I'm sorry but I think if I had to hear it 100% of the time the car's running I would get annoyed)... One thing I do like is the ease of installation compared to turbo, and also the fact that I don't have to lose my lovely x pipe haha but sacrifices must be made.

IDK guys I'm skeptical with my engine. My old man always told me not to do nos because it's the worst thing for an engine.. And with mine having 145k I'm really not sure lol

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I'm not a fan of NOS unless it's a pure drag car. I don't like the idea of running out of my power-adder. I second Orange 94 with the supercharger suggestion. Any reason you aren't interested? I'm not sure what makes the On3 kit so bad - I don't have a lot of experience with turbos/turbo kits on Mustangs, though I do have a lot of experience with turbos in general.

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
If you do your research, you'll be fine. Nitrous can only cause catastrophe when not set-up right. To me its 10x better than a blower because you don't have to have a built tranny, and your motor will actually last longer because it isn't under constant load. Make sure to upgrade your fuel pump and have patience to change spark plugs more often and you'll be good. For example, My dad's been running 10's in a stock fox short block for 7 years with back to back bottles and its still running in my cousins car with the same nitrous kit.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Do you have the capability of going for a drive in all different types before making your decision? Any buddies that run different setups?

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Personally I'm not a fan of NOS unless it's a pure drag car. I don't like the idea of running out of my power-adder. I second Orange 94 with the supercharger suggestion. Any reason you aren't interested? I'm not sure what makes the On3 kit so bad - I don't have a lot of experience with turbos/turbo kits on Mustangs, though I do have a lot of experience with turbos in general.

I posted up my reasons for the blower in my last paragraph haha. They just aren't for me man. Everyone has their own uses and opinions on what works for them, and honestly I just don't see enough positive things on my own personal list to get one.

On3's old kit was just a pile of shit. Plain and simple. Their newest kit, I'm still waiting on some people to get them up and running for some feedback. Others I've read up on love them. I guess the v bands still suck, and a few other odds and ends.. But overall not bad. Idk my buddy that recommended me to the nos traded in his Terminator on an 07 Z06 which is fast as FAWK.. Point being money isn't so much of an issue for him. So he's gonna tell me to save my money and invest it in the better shit. Which I totally agree the better the quality the more I should be looking to buy it, but I just can't swing another $6k for a hellion ya know?

If you do your research, you'll be fine. Nitrous can only cause catastrophe when not set-up right. To me its 10x better than a blower because you don't have to have a built tranny, and your motor will actually last longer because it isn't under constant load. Make sure to upgrade your fuel pump and have patience to change spark plugs more often and you'll be good. For example, My dad's been running 10's in a stock fox short block for 7 years with back to back bottles and its still running in my cousins car with the same nitrous kit.

That's what he was telling me. IF it's setup right, that it will be fine. I agree on the blower aspect, I'm not a fan myself... But that's why I liked turbo's. I'm mainly a highway runner man. So the highway pulls benefit best from a turbo. We had a terminator with 650hp vs a turbo 2v with a little more than that and guess what? The turbo 2v took him. Yes I know the terminator weighs more, but the point is once that boost get's built it's freight train mode. There isn't an end line on the highway lol so when the boost gets built and you start chasing back you don't have to catch him before you hit that quarter marker if that makes any sense. You go till ya catch him.

That's so totally badass tho about the 10 second fox... That's reason enough alone to want to pick up a fox and strap a bottle to it!

No matter what route I take I know fuel system is going to need to be upgraded. I just really don't want to risk flipping the switch and finding the weak spot in my motor and blowing it. Maybe I should get a compression test done on it to see if it can handle it. I'm the NINTH owner so God only knows what the previous 8 owners did in terms of overall maint... It seems normal, but a tad on the slow side honestly considering the mods it has

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Do you have the capability of going for a drive in all different types before making your decision? Any buddies that run different setups?

As of right now I've only ridden in a turbo 2v. A very powerful 2v lol. Once my buddy gets his procharger up and running in the spring I'll be able to take a ride in it, but haven't been in a nos car as of yet. One of our local guys runs a 300 shot in his Fox and he whoops a LOT of ass on the highways...

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I posted up my reasons for the blower in my last paragraph haha. They just aren't for me man. Everyone has their own uses and opinions on what works for them, and honestly I just don't see enough positive things on my own personal list to get one.

My bad, I must have missed it. I usually make a point of reading through all the posts before saying stuff, I just must have missed it. Sorry about that.

Point being money isn't so much of an issue for him. So he's gonna tell me to save my money and invest it in the better shit. Which I totally agree the better the quality the more I should be looking to buy it, but I just can't swing another $6k for a hellion ya know?

I totally hear you. I got a friend like that too. I'm like "well let me just step in my back yard and snag some bills off the money tree I got growing there."

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Pussy juice.

That your way of saying :deeplist: to it lol?

My bad, I must have missed it. I usually make a point of reading through all the posts before saying stuff, I just must have missed it. Sorry about that.

I totally hear you. I got a friend like that too. I'm like "well let me just step in my back yard and snag some bills off the money tree I got growing there."

Haha no worries bro I don't hold it against ya. And yep you get it, he's in his 30s, not sure what he does for a living, but always has reeeeally nice shit for his car. I take his opinions seriously tho because he most certainly knows what he's talking about. I just gotta weigh my options

do you have a tubular k member already?

No sir but it was on my list this year. Not sure of which brand to run tho, I'm thinking either QA1 or UPR

330CubeGt

Reaction score
In general terms so you don't sound like a car newb, call it nitrous not nos.

I have experimented with a 125 shot on my cobra but on the street it just blew the tires off. Right after I swapped it out for a blower and loved it. But the instant torque of the spray was quite snappy and I liked it.

I ran a wot switch so it would only spray when my foot was on the floor, and I also ran a window rpm switch to pick what rpm I wanted to activate the kit or deactivate. Like say you want it to hit at 3500 so its in a safe rpm. And have the cut off be around or just before your rev limiter rpm. That way if you mis a shift and your foots on the floor and it goes to bounce on the limmiter the kit will kick off.Its safe when used right, its cheaper, lighter and just as fast as other power adders.But some, most who have no experience with it like to bash it.Don't mind them...

I know a guy selling a brand new wet kit for $350 if your interested!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online