Orbital vs angle buffer

Tattoogod

Reaction score
whats the best to use for a newbie buffer. I'm wanting to try and buff some of the water mark and scratches out myself,i was going to have it done but i think id feel better if i can do it myself,so id like to know some brands of what some of our own people use on here and the cost if that's cool?thanks everyone

Tim

ALITL8

Reaction score
well, i use the cheapos but plan on buying a porter cable in the near future. i do not suggest a high speed polisher to anyone without some experience. the best compounds in my opinion are 3M. on your car i would start by washing it down with some dawn dishwashing liquid, that will help strip the wax. pick up some medium cut "and" some perfect it II or finesse it II 3M compound and a quality polish and wax. wash and "DRY" the car thoroughly and start buffing; (1)medium, (2)perfect it or finesse it, (3)polish and (4)wax. if the medium cut doesnt get it though it needs to be high speed buffed and possibly color sanded. color sanding and high speed buffing are jobs for a professional, i dont recommend you attempting doing that yourself. its not that hard to sand right through the clears and then there the whole buffer swirls left by a high speed polisher (swirls "can" be removed with an orbital if they arent too bad)

hope this helps and im sure other people will have their opinions too. i say find someone (detailer or body shop) that knows what theyre doing and let them do it ;)

ALITL8

Reaction score
Tattoogod said:
is the portercable a low speed angle ?

my understanding is that its a variable speed orbital... looks like an angle though.

OP
OP
T

Tattoogod

Reaction score
i like the kit i saw for 195 on ebay.but i also saw on at advance auto for 49.99 plain orbital.but no pads..i like the ones with the correct pads to use.i hate shopping for those things..i never know which ones to buy or buy the wrong ones. :dunno:

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yeah the porter cable is designed the same as a angle but its random orbit...I would deff go for it there are so many pads etc designed for the specific porter cable.

ALITL8

Reaction score
Tattoogod said:
i like the kit i saw for 195 on ebay.but i also saw on at advance auto for 49.99 plain orbital.but no pads..i like the ones with the correct pads to use.i hate shopping for those things..i never know which ones to buy or buy the wrong ones. :dunno:

on the cheapos you just use a terry cloth bonnet and count on your products to do the cutting and polishing for you. if the PC sports the foam pads (like the high speed buffers) they have different pads for different applications (can be confusing to a novice).

OP
OP
T

Tattoogod

Reaction score
you can consider me being a noob novice lol. ya know Ive used an orbital buffer before but like 12 years ago.and it seemed like it was just as much shine as hand buffing it..hell i don't know..it would at least keep my arms feeling like jello the next day lol.and speed up the polishing .plus you look cool outside with a buffer. lol people think you know what your doing lol j/k .ill prolly go with an orbital and try some 3m and clearcote products.from what Ive read here you can go wrong with either.

ALITL8

Reaction score
Tattoogod said:
you can consider me being a noob novice lol. ya know Ive used an orbital buffer before but like 12 years ago.and it seemed like it was just as much shine as hand buffing it..hell i don't know..it would at least keep my arms feeling like jello the next day lol.and speed up the polishing .plus you look cool outside with a buffer. lol people think you know what your doing lol j/k .ill prolly go with an orbital and try some 3m and clearcote products.from what Ive read here you can go wrong with either.

sounds like a good combo to me :thumb: the buffer lays the wax down more even and doesnt work you "as hard". just be sure to remove compounds, polishes and waxes with microfibers. go to Sam's and pick up a bag of them. when we remove products it takes 2 towels per step, one for removing the hazed coat and one for polishing it out... i hate swirls!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online