Outer tie rod help!!

Stock982v

Reaction score
While I was in the process of trying to put in new control arms , I quit trying to while trying to take out the spring , started putting her back together , then I noticed my other tie rod ends aren't in the greatest , so I went to auto zone picked them up went to take the old one off and the whole thing spins, am I missing a step? Help!!

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Get a vice grip on the flat part of the outer tierod and use a wrench to loosen the nut. Its probably seized, so try some penetrating oil or use a torch and heat the nut up. Count the amount of times the tierod spins as you remove it. Basically, count each turn it takes for the tierod to be back in its original position as you're removing it. That way when you put the new one on you can turn it X amount of times and get your alignment as close as possible. You'll need an alignment anyways.

OP
OP
S

Stock982v

Reaction score
Get a vice grip on the flat part of the outer tierod and use a wrench to loosen the nut. Its probably seized, so try some penetrating oil or use a torch and heat the nut up. Count the amount of times the tierod spins as you remove it. Basically, count each turn it takes for the tierod to be back in its original position as you're removing it. That way when you put the new one on you can turn it X amount of times and get your alignment as close as possible. You'll need an alignment anyways.

The but behind it if that's what you meant is loose... The tie rod spins with the whole the

lutter94

Reaction score
Sounds like your inner tie rod is unthreading from the stearing rack. Not really a big deal, I'd just replace that one too.

Reaction score
Yay! New parts! Probably best to replace the inner and outer. Like I told you buddy it's a decent sized project. I need to replace them on my car too but I'm gonna replace the whole steering rack so kinda different story for me. Also like I said again, TAKE PICTURES. not only can we follow what you're doing but it'll help us out as well as yourself

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Frank has the right solution by replacing the whole rack. But dont do a reman from the parts store. Its a gamble of what you may get. Spend the coin on a reputable company.

lutter94

Reaction score
I just replaced tie rods without doing the rack. It was a cake walk. Just had these goofy rivets on the inboard of the inner. Ask any questions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Stock982v

Reaction score
Sounds like your inner tie rod is unthreading from the stearing rack. Not really a big deal, I'd just replace that one too.

I don't really have time to do it , or a spare car to drive to school or work today , I've tried heating it up a bit...

lutter94

Reaction score
What are you heating up? Did you pull the boot off? Is the steering rack itself spinning. Or just the tie rod inner and outer assembly

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online