OVERDRIVE OFF

gary spielberg

Reaction score
I HAVE A 95 ' GT 5.0 STOCK AUTO TRANS WITH 373 REAR . WHAT HAPPENDS TO THE TRANS WHEN YOU PRESS THE O/D OFF BUTTON.

WHEN I DO THIS THE TRANS STAYS IN GEAR AND DOSN'T SHIFT INTO ANY OTHER GEAR. SHOULD THAT HAPPEN??

THANKS

GARY

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
If youre not running in overdrive at the time of pressing the button, then it wont change gears. Were you on the freeway when you hit the button or putting around on a side road?

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely the car wasn't in overdrive then. Give it a shot on the freeway or on a main road where youre going atleast 40-45...

OP
OP
G

gary spielberg

Reaction score
I WAS AT A STOP LIGHT AND TOOK THE OVERDRIVE OFF . SHOULD I BE GOING THRU THE GEARS WHEN I DO THIS

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, you should be driving steady at speed. Make sure that the car has shifted into overdrive. You will be at your lowest cruising rpm at that point. When you hit the button, it will shift into 4th gear, and you will see the rpms jump up if its working properly. Basically all the overdrive button does is turn off 5th gear, so if youre riding around in 3rd or 4th gear or at a stoplight, you wont notice anything if you hit the button.

JKady

Reaction score
No, you should be driving steady at speed. Make sure that the car has shifted into overdrive. You will be at your lowest cruising rpm at that point. When you hit the button, it will shift into 4th gear, and you will see the rpms jump up if its working properly. Basically all the overdrive button does is turn off 5th gear, so if youre riding around in 3rd or 4th gear or at a stoplight, you wont notice anything if you hit the button.
The autos are 4 speed, so it turns off 4th gear and will put the trans in 3rd.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For local driving you should have the od off most of the time. The only time my OD is ON is when I am getting on the highway and not going to step on it.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think the thread title here is going to be my new catch phrase. As I approach an off-ramp, with my foot buried into the gas pedal up until the last minute, then heel-toe down to 2nd, engine screaming at 4000 rpms, mash on the brakes at my imaginary 1 cone (because who hits the brakes at 3 cones or 2 cones??), then trail brake to the apex with the tires just beginning to chirp a little and then roll on to the throttle, climbing through the gears, with all the other cars around me looking at me like I am insane, I shall be yelling that whole time. With the windows down. OVVVVVEEERRRRRRRRDRRRRIIIIIVEEEEEEEE OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF! Legendary.

JKady

Reaction score
For local driving you should have the od off most of the time. The only time my OD is ON is when I am getting on the highway and not going to step on it.
There is no reason to turn it off unless you for some reason want it off (Not even sure why there's even a button for it in a Mustang since you're not towing/hauling). If you're not going fast enough to be in overdrive the car doesn't shift into overdrive. All it does is save you gas by bringing the revs down.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There is no reason to turn it off unless you for some reason want it off (Not even sure why there's even a button for it in a Mustang since you're not towing/hauling). If you're not going fast enough to be in overdrive the car doesn't shift into overdrive. All it does is save you gas by bringing the revs down.

Its more for saving the trans when an unexpected WOT blast comes up. Hitting OD at WOT is not a good thing.

JKady

Reaction score
Its more for saving the trans when an unexpected WOT blast comes up. Hitting OD at WOT is not a good thing.
What leads you to believe that? You're going pretty damn fast by the time you hit OD at wide open throttle if everything is working as it should.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
known problem with 4r70w trans every good builder I have met has advised to turn OD off.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm. Typically, as folks have stated here, OD is just one more gear, with a ratio that makes the driveshaft spin faster than the engine, thus putting the engine in a lower rev-range, saving fuel and decreasing torque.

For around town driving, you can probably leave OD off as you might not ever reach this gear (like driving in 5th gear on a manual on local roads - you probably won't do it, maybe 4th at the most). There is no harm in leaving it on, assuming you are going to floor the car everywhere you go. If you are going to floor the car, and actually get to a point where you will continue to shift (like on a drag strip), you will want to leave OD off, as it is NOT a performance gear.

If you are cruising on the highway, by all means use OD - that's the point of it. If you are going to step on it to pass a car, you should be able to leave OD on, the car will just down shift.

Pressing the OD button doesn't necessarily mean something will happen right away. As stated, if you are cruising on the highway at like 70mph, and you push the button to turn it off, the car will act like you just downshifted a gear. That is all. If you are cruising on local roads in like 3rd at 30 mph or whatever, and you turn off OD, nothing will happen as you were not in the overdriven gear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online