Overheating

v6mustang

Reaction score
Ok so i went out for a drive earlier and when i get on the gas around 2500 rpm my temp gauge starts to rise. When i get back off the gas and shift to a higher gear it starts to cool back down. What could cause this? Im thinking its a bad thermostat because when im driving the temp gauge is fluctuating?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Your temp gauge starts to rise immediately with you stepping on the gas?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's pretty instantaneous. If you are just sitting there idling, does the temp gradually rise? I've never know the needle to rise so quickly like that with the gas pedal. The coolant is topped up, yes? When you get off the gas, does the needle immediately go back down?

If everything looks okay, the only thing I can think of are these two things:
  • The thermostat is stuck closed, not allowing coolant to circulate through the engine. So you keep heating up the cooleant in the engine. But I would expect there to be something of a delay between stepping on the gas pedal and the needle going up/down
  • As weird as it might sound, if the needle stays exactly with your gas pedal, then I think there's an electrical issue - and the needle is following your RPMs and not the gas pedal. If you the car in neutral, and step on the gas pedal, does the needle go up like what you have been describing?

OP
OP
V

v6mustang

Reaction score
Fixed the issue i had a leak in the lower rad hose. It lost coolant and started to overheat. Put on a new hose topped off the fluids and it is running fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online