overheating...?

mike97gt

Reaction score
so i have a 97 gt.. bought it in february and havent really driven it in hot weather.
now just the other day it got to 30 degrees celcius and the temperature got to the L in [NORMAL].
i've checked it out and couldnt really figure it out myself.
i'm thinking either the water pump (which isnt making any noise but could be the problem), the thermostat being shot, or the relay for the rad fan not working properly.
anyone have any input/advice? or had any similar problems?

any help is appreciated. thanx!

98vortech

Reaction score
how would you flush it without takin it somewhere? just take all the hoses loose and run water through it in the driveway?? :dunno:

OP
OP
M

mike97gt

Reaction score
i drained it, ran water thru the system, drained the water.. and then filled it with coolant.. hasnt changed anything. would a flush/back-flush be worthwhile after that?

and if my thermostat was shot would it possibly stay half closed or w/e and make the car run hotter?

S

scarface

mike97gt said:
i drained it, ran water thru the system, drained the water.. and then filled it with coolant.. hasnt changed anything. would a flush/back-flush be worthwhile after that?

and if my thermostat was shot would it possibly stay half closed or w/e and make the car run hotter?
you did a good flush then. Try the cheapest things first. Thermostat should be checked next.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yes good advice, start with the cheapest thing...your Tstat could stick and not do its job...The cooling systems are marginal on these cars and yours is the "updated" version over mine but still not great. I've noticed over the years that the more i add the more i smack myself for not getting a Fluidyne Radiator years ago. I just bought one and holding it up and looking at it makes the stock one look like a oil cooler...I'm also going with a better flowing water pump from Stewart Components because i want my car to run cool and last another 12 years :)

S

scarface

DropTopPony said:
yes good advice, start with the cheapest thing...your Tstat could stick and not do its job...The cooling systems are marginal on these cars and yours is the "updated" version over mine but still not great. I've noticed over the years that the more i add the more i smack myself for not getting a Fluidyne Radiator years ago. I just bought one and holding it up and looking at it makes the stock one look like a oil cooler...I'm also going with a better flowing water pump from Stewart Components because i want my car to run cool and last another 12 years :)
you just want to put antique tags on it...lol :)

powerfreak

Reaction score
First thing I'd do it check to make sure the fan is coming on. If yes, than flush out the radiator and change the T-stat. If that doesn't help, than you have bigger problems like a waterpump.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
scarface said:
DropTopPony said:

i will as soon as i can...save alot on insurance :dancing6:

S

scarface

DropTopPony said:
scarface said:
DropTopPony said:

i will as soon as i can...save alot on insurance :dancing6:
yep, and no inspections here in Va with those tags :)

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
none here either, they just check the mileage and make sure you are under the like 5k a year allowance...i haven't driven it 5k in the last 5 years.

OP
OP
M

mike97gt

Reaction score
well i'm heading to ford today to grab a new thermostat. hopefully that works out.
dont feel like replacing the waterpump. always makes a mess. haha

does ford sell cool running t-stats? or would i have to find one aftermarket?

S

scarface

mike97gt said:
well i'm heading to ford today to grab a new thermostat. hopefully that works out.
dont feel like replacing the waterpump. always makes a mess. haha

does ford sell cool running t-stats? or would i have to find one aftermarket?
I got a 180 from my local parts store...like 2 bux. worked great on my supercharged car for years.

OP
OP
M

mike97gt

Reaction score
thermostat didnt change anything.. although i did notice a slight difference between the new one and the old one.

i think my heater core/blower motor is making noise.. as if like a bearing or something is shot.
so that may be the problem and not letting coolant flow as good as it should be.
anyone ever replace theirs? how difficult is it and how long does it usually take?

stanger2125

Reaction score
I use a MR. Gasket 180 degrees therm. Works great. Make sure the fan work at the right time also.

OP
OP
M

mike97gt

Reaction score
yea the fans working fine, also the thermostat is working properly. i noticed the temp drop down abit when it opened. but maybe i'll drill a bypass hole in the top of it just to make sure.

and i was thinking back today... when i did my flush i only got like 7 litres out of it. so i'm thinking its clogged somewhere or else a LOT of trapped air in the lines.
any good products out there i can flush with to clean it out at all?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online