Overkill for stock npi shortblock?

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Would trickflow 44's and KB 2.1L blower at 9 psi would be to much for a npi shortblock? I heard our shortblocks are really strong as long as you do not exceed the sweet spot of 450rwhp etc. I do not remember the torque figures, but can you guys enlighten me?

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Tuning is very important at that level. And more then likely just a ticking time bomb.

You can build a short block for the price of the trick flows.

The D3V

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Tuning is very important at that level. And more then likely just a ticking time bomb.

You can build a short block for the price of the trick flows.

The D3V

The goal is to have great streetable power if money isn't a issue, I do not have to have car exceed over 600hp it is basically unusable where I live.

I am toying with the idea of buying a forge rotating assembly kit in the long run but I do not feel like building the engine. My longblock as it sits is still fresh, just cracked 100k.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
450 is not a magic number per say, I have seen guys bust a piston etc at 350 rwhp and some live happy long lives at 500 rwhp. The tune and driving style play a big part in how long you can go with the stock short block.

The KB and Trick Flows are not a friendly match, I believe you have to do some grinding on the heads to get them to mate up perfectly. Some people aren't happy to grind on there new $2000 heads.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Well your right on that border of getting a new see through block haha. Personally I say do it! Record settin or motor lettin

The D3V

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
450 is not a magic number per say, I have seen guys bust a piston etc at 350 rwhp and some live happy long lives at 500 rwhp. The tune and driving style play a big part in how long you can go with the stock short block.

The KB and Trick Flows are not a friendly match, I believe you have to do some grinding on the heads to get them to mate up perfectly. Some people aren't happy to grind on there new $2000 heads.

You speak the truth man. I was doing some research and the tfs 44's are not a happy match with this blower. One, the cylinder heads puts it at 10.1 compression which is high for this blower, and secondly cylinder head modifications suck. I guess it all depends on what I want out of this car. I am the type of guy that wants to do it once, and not 3 times over. I was thinking of PI heads but i want superior flow.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Honestly if your goal is only 400-450 rwhp, I would save your money and just go with PI heads. You can save some serious coin just going with worked PI heads, off the shelf blower cams, and a small KB blower and still max out that short block

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Honestly if your goal is only 400-450 rwhp, I would save your money and just go with PI heads. You can save some serious coin just going with worked PI heads, off the shelf blower cams, and a small KB blower and still max out that short block

You read my my mind Mike, I'm thinking about going towards this goal. My driving habits are not hard, and I just want streetable power. One day I can build the engine to the moon but right now I just want something cool to drive and respectable. I like that combo.

Burninrock24

Reaction score

PI heads raise compression on npi blocks though. Granted not by a ton, but I've always heard ported npi heads if you already have an npi block if you're boosting.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
PI heads raise compression on npi blocks though. Granted not by a ton, but I've always heard ported npi heads if you already have an npi block if you're boosting.

Only if KB made a blower for the NPI intake ports. Might as well go with different style heads you know.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score

Yeah they raise it a tad, but OP is only planning on running around 9psi and honestly that's all it will take to max out the engine anyway.. He will be limited with power output anyway with stock internals so that nominal increase in compression really won't have all that much effect as long as the tune is on.

Handz

Reaction score
Stock PI motor+2.1 Kenne Bell=407RWHP/420RWTQ on my car.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Yeah they raise it a tad, but OP is only planning on running around 9psi and honestly that's all it will take to max out the engine anyway.. He will be limited with power output anyway with stock internals so that nominal increase in compression really won't have all that much effect as long as the tune is on.

Hey Mike can you school me on boosting a engine? Does intake and oil temps lead to engine failure? If I am going to be running the max limit on this engine I dont want to blow it up. Some high flow ported PI heads, Kennebell, big oil pan etc will help keep this motor long lasting until it gets rebuilt professionally? I know centri's are a little easier on the engine because it builds boost instead of it being instant. What do you think?

Stock PI motor+2.1 Kenne Bell=407RWHP/420RWTQ on my car.

Your car is inspiring hands! I love the 2.1 man.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Im still trying to get ahold of an individual that apparently installed a set of tf heads on his stock short block and is squeezing out 404rwhp on pump gas!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You could try and find a used set of ported PI's for sale. I have seen heads like mine (Fox Lake St 2's) go for @ $1200 used and they flow pretty good, not to mention Fox Lake is one of the more reputable companies in the modular biz. I paid over $2000 for mine so if you can score a set for half that and have no compatibility issues with the KB it is worth a look.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I know for a fact that a guy tuned at Blankenship with stock unported pi heads was pulling off 330rwhp n/a.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online