OVERSPRAY

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, the guys that work at our shop are Idiots.
they were spraying some equipment outside, in the wind, and the overspray got on 11 cars parked at the building next to our shop.

So, after a little visit with the manager, after he called the cops, I have 11 cars to clean overspary off.
the guy was actually really nice, I mean i"d be bent if someone got overspray on my car.
The ppl there are a little weary of having "some guy" (thats me) clean they're cars.
I insured them that I know what I'm doing, and have some good detailing stuff....
So the manager says, ok, why don't you do my car first, they my people will see how it turns out.
OK, I say, no problem....

walk outside, Black 06 BMW...
Pretty car.

I'm Ok with this, If I can clean up black paint, the rest is EZ.
So, this afternoon, took his car over to our shop, out of the sun,
washed it,
dryed it.
Clay bar'd it using sprya and wipe as lube.
whiped it down again,
polished with PB's polish, and the PC.

That took about 2/3 of the overspray off.
some if it may have been on there since last year since our guys paint alot,
and they said it's happened before. He had to go somewhere so needed his car back.

What's left I cant even feel
I ordered the ss2 and ss3 polishes from PB's...

SO, I need some advice.
How do I get the really stubborn, tiny specs off?

Please give me your recommendations, I've got a sweet BMW to do, and 10 other cars.
(one is a huge jacked up F350 with a shell....)
on the bright side, I get to detail on the clock, and I should really break in my PorterCable... :D

What else can I use? any certain pads or products that work good? I'd like to know, thanks!

ALITL8

Reaction score
personally, i wouldnt give them more than they pay you for. overspray can be a PITA if its not removed immediately. i'd do the best you can with the products you have on hand and call it good. if you just have to, you might try a medium cut compound to remove the older stuff but im not going to guarantee anything. of course if you use a medium compound you need to follow with mild, then a polish and wax. im a 3M man myself so you know what im going to tell you... 3M compounds all the way!!!

also do you own and know how to operate a high speed buffer?

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, a porter cable... mentioned that in this thread, and others... :hammer:

It's been on there for a week, and there might be older stuff, pretty dry.
For the stuff that doesn't come off, how bout laquer thiner, sparingly of course, then polish and wax.

Also, would a certain pad be good, I have terry and a few wool ones'

thanks

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
medium cut, 3M

Whats the name on the bottle?
Will a terry pad work for the application?

ALITL8

Reaction score
isnt your PC an orbital? some 3Mâ„¢ Perfect-Itâ„¢ II followed by a good polish and wax should do the trick. your terry bonnets should work fine for what youre trying to do also.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
OK, thanks Robert.

Aaah, you said high speed, yes the PC i have is an orbital.
stop trying to impress me with your fancy terminology... lol.

will that do the trick?

ALITL8

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
OK, thanks Robert.

Aaah, you said high speed, yes the PC i have is an orbital.
stop trying to impress me with your fancy terminology... lol.

will that do the trick?

it should do the trick, i cant guarantee anything without seeing the cars and testing a spot or two. there are lots of different ways to go about getting rid of overspray, ranging from a simple clay bar to color sanding... it just depends on the condition.

to be honest, if its fresh, im not sure why your clay bar didnt pull it :dunno:

also, when using the clay bar you dont need that spray and wipe crap. just mix up a bucket of soapy water and basically wash the car with the clay... you know working it like youre supposed to. keep a sponge handy to keep you work area lubed and washed up, rinse often ;)

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks man, I'll do that.

I might call you Mr. Meeyagi

ALITL8

Reaction score
you can call me out of town in a couple of days. im going down to Texoma to help an old boss install some septic systems, build a deck and do some striper fishing ;D

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
you can call me out of town in a couple of days. im going down to Texoma to help an old boss install some septic systems, build a deck and do some striper fishing ;D

sounds like work, have a good trip, Meeyagi Samma.

d_punch

Reaction score
i just happen to check out detialcity.org forums for the first time. and there was a similar thread about over spray. and someone suggested use plastic razor, then followed by buffing with ( i can't remember what was suggested to follow with) some help i am. jesus i need a drink :hammer:

ALITL8

Reaction score
d_punch said:
i just happen to check out detialcity.org forums for the first time. and there was a similar thread about over spray. and someone suggested use plastic razor, then followed by buffing with ( i can't remember what was suggested to follow with) some help i am. jesus i need a drink :hammer:

for fresh overspray nothing works better than a clay bar. if its had a chance to cure, its pretty much there unless you get on it with an aggressive compound and some friction (high speed polisher). Dalamars PC should handle it with the medium cut compound and some elbow grease. good luck and let me know how it goes Jeff!

wytstang

Reaction score
Best advice I can give you is not to use the ssr3 and a pc. The pc can handle ssr2.5 but 3 is to aggressive for it to generate enough heat to break down the polish (you would need a rotary for optimal result). You might end up making it worse, you said said you ordered ssr2 start with that and the least aggressive pad you have (applying moderate pressure to the pc). If the imperfection doesn't get removed then go to a more aggressive pad not product. But like mentioned before the clay should of got it, don't forget black is unforgiving it will show your mistakes so be carefull.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Alitl8, I'll take some pics.

Thanks Wytstang, I didn't know that about the SSR3.
I specifically says overspray in that description, oh well, It will add to my collection.

I got 2 bars of blue magic Clay, supposed to be really good clay.
I'll let you guys know how it goes.
I figure about 1/2 day per car, that's a full weeks of work....

Oh, and the guys at our shop are still Idiots!

Going to a local car show this morning, everyone have a good weekend.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That blue magic CLAY is awsome. I tried the Meguires clay I had and it wouldn't take it all off the first car.

Saved me time too...

Okay, So i've done bout 1 car every day this week.... Alitl8, you're shoulders must be like freekin rocks if you do this all day.
Here's the process,
get the car
wash it
clay bar every inch of it
wash again
dry
Buff it with the PB polish/sealer
wipe off
apply Natty's
wipe off
clean windows,
wipe off dash.

take back and show owner.

So far everyone's been very happy with it.
One lady said it has never looked that good sence they got it.
they all like it, and 2 other ppl said I should do detailing on the side.

so that made me feel good.

Here's the OVERSPRAY
tan paint specs all over.
onwindow.jpg

Trailblazer
trailb1.jpg

trailb2.jpg
a

Mazda whatever
mazda2.jpg

mazda1.jpg

also did a black jeep, and blue PT, pics on my phone...
More pics to come, I got 8 more cars to do :dancing6:

wytstang

Reaction score
The Blazer looks damn good, great job man this is giving you pratice for your pimp mobil.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
So where do we get the blue magic clay from, and whats the part number on the box it came in? (I wanna see if I can get it through keystone)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.