P.a.t.s failure help needed! Anyone with this problem

Madio650

Reaction score
Okay so I have a 96 gt.. Last Sunday I came bak home parked it normal.. Was going out later tried to turn on.. Car only cranked.. (note car was low on gas soo I thought it was that since parked on a hill.. Put gas on it nd nothing battery was bought just a day ago.. :( now I tried to push start bt nothin.. Had mechanic come out to look at I and test everything but couldn't find nothing not working until I look down at my gauges and when the car cranks my THEFT light stays solid or blinks.???:(? Soo I researched nd found what to check: fuses, relays, bad connection, clean connectors.. Even got a NEW key made reprogrammed it nd nothin still car only cranks.. Now I this point I think my only option is to get it tow to the dealership for a $130.00 diagnose.. So has ANYONE had this problem nd how u fix it? I would really appreciate this.. Ooh car did have a chEck engine on bt when try to read the code it had erased due to battery dying from tryin to start it.. Thank you

2002BLGT

Reaction score
Madio650 said:
Okay so I have a 96 gt.. Last Sunday I came bak home parked it normal.. Was going out later tried to turn on.. Car only cranked.. (note car was low on gas soo I thought it was that since parked on a hill.. Put gas on it nd nothing battery was bought just a day ago.. :( now I tried to push start bt nothin.. Had mechanic come out to look at I and test everything but couldn't find nothing not working until I look down at my gauges and when the car cranks my THEFT light stays solid or blinks.???:(? Soo I researched nd found what to check: fuses, relays, bad connection, clean connectors.. Even got a NEW key made reprogrammed it nd nothin still car only cranks.. Now I this point I think my only option is to get it tow to the dealership for a $130.00 diagnose.. So has ANYONE had this problem nd how u fix it? I would really appreciate this.. Ooh car did have a chEck engine on bt when try to read the code it had erased due to battery dying from tryin to start it.. Thank you

May or may not be PATS from what you describe , could be crank sensor or other issue , sounds like diagnoses is needed but $130 is high , dealers here are $89

OP
OP
M

Madio650

Reaction score
well i mean would that make my theft light.. come up at start..

Gregor185

Reaction score
pats issue wont let your car crank and if you got a new key and just tried it you have to program it first.

Orange Stang

Reaction score
Bad pats will let the car start for a few seconds, then shut off. I know, I been there.

knightrider

Reaction score
so much misinformation in this thread. did you reprogram the key in thekey hole outside the driverside door? the solid/blinking theft light lets you know whats wrong with the p.a.t.s. inside your key is a chip, this chip once inside the ignition, lets the "halo" know its the right key. The halo then sends an ok message to the p.a.t.s module, which sends an ok message to the gauge cluster. Then the gauge cluster sends an ok message to the pcm which gives the firing order to the injectors. The only two ways i know of to bypass the p.a.t.s is to install a remote start, or to eliminate it through a computer/tuner. If you get an aftermarket alarm, it doesnt elimate the p.a.t.s, it works with it. Further more if your theft light is blinking, or solid it will let the car crank, but wont give fuel to the injectors. P.a.t.s was started in 96 and when the new edge came it, the system was further complicated, and got rid of the p.a.t.s module. Also from what i experienced, the parts in the system are not interchangeable, and has to be from the same build months.

BLCKSTNG96

Reaction score
Check your fuel pump fuse under the hood.better yet just replace it for shits bc once my car did the same shit and for whatever reason it blew the fuel pump fuse and theft light was on.the fuse had such a hairline crack I couldn't even visually see it but replaced the fuse later anyway and bam,car started up,no issues.also have u had the column plastic off or anything.I had a 96 I was replacing that piece on and broke the wire that runs around the ignition as its very thin and easy to break.I went to a junkyard and got a new one but it has to be from the same yrs,like 96-97 are the same,98 n later have a diff plug as well as look diff bc I had gotten one of those.the pats info is stored in the computer not that ring if for some reason it is that.also an Aftermarket alarm doesn't disable pats,all it does is put a broken programmed key under the dash so it gets the signal essentially acting as if its bypassing it.

DAVEYK

Reaction score
Wondering the outcome of this. Have a 96 Cobra that hasn't been started for about 5 yrs. Went to start it two weeks ago and no start. Theft light goes out with key on but blinks while cranking. Very similar to what you have wrote. Also, just now replaced the fuel pump, sensor and filter (no fuel pressure). Tried again to start and Theft light stayed out while cranking, would fire but not run. Left it for a few minutes and now back to theft light blinking while cranking.

DAVEYK

Reaction score
In fact I manually tripped the inertia switch to cut the power while changing the pump, etc. But before changing the pump, checked to see if power was in fact going to the pump and was good. Old filter was plugged real good so maybe possible that the little gas left in the line plugged the new filter again? The sock on the pump was not intact and gas in the tank horrible. Drained the tank as best as I could and gave it about 6 gal of ethonal free fuel. A little background on me-have owned my own locksmith buisiness going on 40 yrs and have been involved with the transponder keys since 1997 when I figured they are the future of auto key work. Many times people call about no start blaming it on the key when it's not as the systems out there are quite complicated. The early years of these keys are much simpler than now. My confusion is the blinking theft light while cranking and it's relation to the no start. Or am I being blind myself.

badass98svt

Reaction score
The OPs post was from 2011, he hasn't been on here since 2011. I highly doubt you will hear back from him with a resolution.

Does the theft light blink in any pattern at all? (2 blinks-pause-three blinks for example)
If you just turn the key to ON, and bit start the car, is there a pattern on the light at that time?

DAVEYK

Reaction score
Turn key on , steady light for 2 seconds then out. Continue switch to crank and steady blink, no pattern as to try and signal a code. Release key and the light is out again.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I had a similar issue and it was actually the ECU/PCM on my 98. I doubt that's your issue though.

SN95Castle

Reaction score
Turn key on , steady light for 2 seconds then out. Continue switch to crank and steady blink, no pattern as to try and signal a code. Release key and the light is out again.
Unlock your doors, pop the hood and disconnect the battery, turn your key to the on position, reconnect the battery and attempt to start the vehicle

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online