P.I. INTAKE Q'S

97gtconv.

Reaction score
I've heard of people when doing the P.I. intake swap some make a T of the other ECT. Although it seems some people don't get good readings that way.... where's the best place to put the other ECT??? What size hole, and what do i use to put the ECT in the metal crossover??

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What's the ETC you're talking about??

I had to tap a hole for my cooent temp sensior when I did mine.
are you talking about something else?

OP
OP

97gtconv.

Reaction score
nope Engine Coolant Temperature ECT did u just drill it to where u could just screw it in the metal crossoer?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I drilled and Tapped it into a flat section on the alum crossover.
I dont' know if there's other ways to do it - that was part of the instructions with my swap...
that was over 3 years ago.

You'll have to get a tap,
good luck.

S

scarface

I have the plastic PI intake. I had my local maching shop fab up my thermostat housing to hold my temp. gauge sensor. I then pu the ECU sensor in the existing hole.

I can post a pic if there is interest

Ender

Reaction score
If you have a PI intake with the aluminum crossover you should be able to drill and tap it in the same spot that it is installed on the NPI intake. If you have the all plastic one then you will have to get creative, I think most people wind up using the thermostat housing like David did.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
just drill and tap the flat spot on the right side of the coolant crossover with a 3/8 npt tap...i think the drill bit size i used was 9/16. if you have plastic then do as Scarface did and modify the Tstat housing....(i would like to see a pic)

S

scarface

I refused to tap the thermostat housing, because it was so thin. The machine shop welded a bung into the top and cleaned it up really well. I put the temp gauge in it, it is alil slow to read at first because of its location. That is the reason I didnt put the ecu sensor there.

Here a go Bob-

stathousing%20(600%20x%20400).jpg

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
good idea Scarface!

Here's a shot of the alum crossover tap. it's next to the therm.

picoolentpass.jpg

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
scarface said:
I refused to tap the thermostat housing, because it was so thin. The machine shop welded a bung into the top and cleaned it up really well. I put the temp gauge in it, it is alil slow to read at first because of its location. That is the reason I didnt put the ecu sensor there.

Here a go Bob-

stathousing%20(600%20x%20400).jpg
thats a good job...i have seen a few that were butchered....but still effective.

S

scarface

I figured I got the plastic intake for like 30 bux, and paid like 20 for that housing to be made...I couldnot afford to not to the swap. Now if it ever breaks, I will got for the whole PI swap

Ender

Reaction score
scarface said:
Now when it breaks, I will got for the whole SVO swap to try and catch up with Tony.

Fixed it for ya. :hammer:

S

scarface

Ender said:
scarface said:
Now when it breaks, I will got for the whole SVO swap to try and catch up with Tony.

Fixed it for ya. :hammer:

HAHA! Bring it buddy. I have 2 more PSI and a complete Meth injection kit ready for tune :)

Ender

Reaction score
Sweet. Ed is going to tune mine tomorrow morning. I was supposed to get it done this afternoon, but the car before me took way longer than they were expecting.

S

scarface

Ender said:
Sweet. Ed is going to tune mine tomorrow morning. I was supposed to get it done this afternoon, but the car before me took way longer than they were expecting.

YEah, I know how that is....remember how long we were there with mine..

Jeff Merriman

Reaction score
Tapping that other flat spot on the crossover seems easy enough, but would the replacement aluminum crossover from the NPI intake swap over? Isn't it already setup for both sensors?

I have a complete PI headswap setup waiting to go on in November. Just wondering if it would work.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Jeff Merriman said:
Tapping that other flat spot on the crossover seems easy enough, but would the replacement aluminum crossover from the NPI intake swap over? Isn't it already setup for both sensors?

I have a complete PI headswap setup waiting to go on in November. Just wondering if it would work.

yes the npi crossover will swap over easily....if you do need to drill the pi crossover its a 9/16 drill bit and 3/8-18 npt tap.

Nater

Reaction score
Or you can do what I did...Went to a local shop that sells fittings and found a y fitting that I could screw both sensors into and that fits in the one hole.

Jeff Merriman

Reaction score
Thanks for the info DTP and Nater. I was going to ask the T or Y fitting question next actually. Nater, are you getting acurate temp readings with this setup? If so, it actually sounds like an easy alternative.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i'm not a fan of the T/Y splitter since the sensor is not in the direct flow of the coolant like when in the crossover itself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online