P0500 Issue

Discussion in 'Drivetrain' started by MrPool, Aug 20, 2016.

1. MrPool

MrPool New Member

So guys,
    My '97 GT has been throwing several sensor codes at me within the last several months (typically one after another, and it's been bugging me for some time...)

The short of it is my O/D light recently started flashing, and apparently a P0500 code has popped up, and another check engine light along with it. I just replaced the VSS and still got no results at all. The PCM even picks up the vehicle's speed reading according to my scan tool, but the speedometer, odometer, and tripodometer don't work at all.
    Does anyone know if I might be missing some slight detail? I can't see any wires connecting to the VSS at all, so I figured switching that out would do the trick, but apparently not.

Should I be worried about a bigger issue going on within my tranny?
    Some help would be appreciated.

2. Frank.JD.Perez

Frank.JD.Perez Well-Known Member

No joke I was just looking at this as an issue. I guess if that's all working and you see the speed then maybe it's your actual speedometer gears that are bad. Have you checked it out yet?

3. MrPool

MrPool New Member

I have yet to open up the cluster to take a look at that, but there should be no reason for a CEL to illuminate itself if it were as simple as the cluster. There's some kind of error being shot at the PCM that's throwing the P0500 code, but I can't put my finger on what...This is what baffles the living hell out of me.
    Something is triggering that P0500, and I have no clue what or why.

4. Frank.JD.Perez

Time to consult the google. Or a couple Mustang geniuses...

*clear throat*

*preparing bird call*
    [MENTION=11896]ttocs[/MENTION] [MENTION=20210]lwarrior1016[/MENTION]

5. MrPool

MrPool New Member

Precisely what I've been getting at all evening...Problem is my issue is awfully specific, and most threads/answers I find are all the same general stuff...
    E.G. "change the VSS, check the cable, etc..."

6. 07GtS197

07GtS197 Well-Known Member

2 more things to check, check all the fuses and take your alternator somewhere to be tested for excessive ac ripple. The alternator causing this and all your recent issues would make sense.

7. torch318

torch318 Active Member

I 2nd alt test, vss uses ac voltage and when the alt puts out ripple ac voltage it can cause the sensor to have a speed reading even when your not moving.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

8. MrPool

MrPool New Member

So if it is indeed the alternator and that fixes my problem I should be alright then...I do have an out of commission '92 Explorer that I intend to junk anyway so I may just swap alternators and see where that gets me.

Think that might help?

9. 07GtS197

07GtS197 Well-Known Member

It wont swap over.

10. Nighttrain

Nighttrain Well-Known Member

^this....and if you are getting any back feed at all it can cause this issue. Have you done any wiring? Air conditioning, radio, if any of this was mistakenly grounded or fed(i know it doesnt sound right but if a previous owner did a butch job) through you speed sensor, shift solenoids it can cause a ripple as [MENTION=20715]07GtS197[/MENTION] stated

11. MrPool

MrPool New Member

Faulty wiring all over that thing is highly likely...It was "performance tuned" before I bought it, and I've been trying to restore as much of the stock settings as possible, apart from a few mechanical mods that I want to leave intact...
    I'll give it a go next chance I get.

12. Frank.JD.Perez

And THIS people...is why you buy cars bone stock... [MENTION=20845]1998cobrasvt[/MENTION] this is why I want a stock cobra hahah

13. Nighttrain

Nighttrain Well-Known Member

Exactly.....if not you have nightmares like [MENTION=21637]MrPool[/MENTION]. Itll take time, but i know youll get it. If you take your time itll be done right. If you need help we're here to help as much as we can bud.