Paint chipping from behind licence plate insert thingy ....

W

Wes8398

You know how it looks like a little plate/insert type thing around where our licence plates sit? The seam that's caused by that insert has the paint flaking away just to the edge. Anyone else had this problem? There doesn't happen to be a recall on it, does there? lol Does that insert detach, so I could have the area behind it repainted?

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
Wes8398 said:
You know how it looks like a little plate/insert type thing around where our licence plates sit? The seam that's caused by that insert has the paint flaking away just to the edge. Anyone else had this problem? There doesn't happen to be a recall on it, does there? lol Does that insert detach, so I could have the area behind it repainted?

its call a old car stuff like that will happen you just have to get it re-sprayed

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

tRaV_19 said:
its call a old car
Is that the technical name for it? :hammer: I realize the obvious - my car's 10 years old and so's the paint. But I just wondered if others had seen this happen with their cars before. Also wondered about that insert being removeable, so it could be re-sprayed easier.... :dunno:

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
yes it is removeable, and mine is doing the same but you can hardly tell unless you are looking inbetween it

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

I'm sure it would be a lot less noticeable on my car, if it weren't white. And I think it's getting worse now. So I'm gonna look into having that touched up. What do you think a paint shop would charge just to re-do that edge?
Before that though - a friend from the forums is helping me install my PI cams and intake on Saturday!! :dancing6:

WyoTechMSA

Reaction score
If you do indeed pull the tag pocket you will see that it was never painted behind in the first place. On white cars it is not as obvious as others. I just repainted my whole car and there was no color or clear underneath the tag pocket. Same goes for the wingless decklid I put back on the car.

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

Yah, I kinda suspected that because it looked like mostly just overspray back there. Does that mean it'll need primer and all that too? I was hoping I could get it done pretty cheap, but if they're gonna have to prime, paint, clear, and blend, it's probably not gonna be as easy as I hoped it would. Maybe I'll get my mirrors painted at the same time......hmmmmm

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Atleast your car did not do this! It cost $865.00 to repaint the door and the 1/4 panel. The body shop called me today and told me they were done with the fix. I have to pick it up tomarrow.

100_2615-vi.jpg

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

:eek: Woah! It did that all on it's own, eh? That's brutal....

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
It had some help. I think the kids next door were useing the car for target practice with stones. I have caught them throwing stones in the ally behind my house. It is either that or the car had a disagreement with a lawnmower. It had 6 dings in the door and 1/4 panel.

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

My condolances man .... I'd strangle those little pricks :comando:

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
Atleast your car did not do this! It cost $865.00 to repaint the door and the 1/4 panel. The body shop called me today and told me they were done with the fix. I have to pick it up tomarrow.
i would break down and cry if that had happened to my car.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
uncltrvlnmatt said:
i would break down and cry if that had happened to my car.

I just about did. I was at the car wash and hit the door with the water and the paint just blew off. I was able to get it covered under my comprehensive from my insurance co. I only had a $100.00 deductable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online