Paint Help!!

AdamP

Reaction score
Hey all I'm prepping my car now for paint. I'm going back and forth on how I should have this done. I want the sonic blue but when I look up images of mustangs that color there are so many different looks. I want mine to look rich and glossy not muted. I attached pics to explain what I mean. Any help would be much appreciated!bZAPIy7.jpg sonic blue , is it sonic.jpg

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Don’t sweat it. It all largely depends on the condition of the car’s paint and the lighting in the pictures.

Go for it!

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Doesn’t Sonic Blue have kind of a purplely pearl tint to it? I remember that paint also being incredibly expensive! I wanted to paint my Triumph GT6 that color, but the paint was worth more than the car!!! Ended up settling with Aurora Blue, which was Mazda’s version. It was only a few hundred dollars cheaper.

Addicted

Reaction score
AdamP, your seeing different shades of the sun on the car, 2 cars 1 kinda. Sonic blue does have a purple tint in the direct sun, but blue everywhere else. My father had a sonic blue cobra, and someone bumbed into the driver side fender, but it also damaged the door skin and the exterior window A-pillar trim. Cost was almost $3K with Ford parts, but paint was $700-800 just for those pieces, way back in '04. You can't asked for a better color IMO, I also love black, and Brandywine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AdamP

AdamP

Reaction score
Thanks for the imput!!! I'm really trying to put my mind at ease before I take the leap ya know! Oh and brandywine is probably one of the best colors out there absolutely gorgeous. I had a ranger (which I miss terribly) that was sonic blue actually and the color looked great with wax for a few days. Then it would mute out.user135987_pic82593_1462974457.jpg

Addicted

Reaction score
I love those years of rangers! I would love to find a short bed 2wd with a bad engine so I can put a 5.4L in one, but run an automatic in it. Look how dark the 03 looks in these pics, I said 2 n 1, but more like 3 or 4 to 1.15885070827302553751474666729192.jpg

OP
OP
AdamP

AdamP

Reaction score
Now that would be a fun project! Me and my buddies did a 88 ranger with 302 supercahared auto on the floor dana straights and 13" lift. What a project. BTW that cobra is pretty!

OP
OP
AdamP

AdamP

Reaction score
Yes the orange fox is min . That's a complete rebuild car picked it up 500 bucks running with a blown AOD tranny. Frame rails are toast20190626_194023.jpg

Addicted

Reaction score
13" LIFT! Jeez, monster truck. That's awesome though. Dad doesn't have the cobra anymore, just some pics I have. Out of all my cars, miss my '87 fox the most. It was victory red GT hatch, cobra rear bumper w/out the letters, and weld draglights. Boy did she move for just 320rwhp.

OP
OP
AdamP

AdamP

Reaction score
Yea thats a nice car. I hate getting rid of things and regretting it. Me and my cousin did a 98 probe gt converted to rwd with a 302. Surprisingly not as hard as it looked!

OP
OP
AdamP

AdamP

Reaction score
its ok to get an idea on what color online but you really need to get a paint chip in the natural light to get a real idea of what it will look like.
Yea your right. I know what color I'm looking for but seem to be horrible at looking at paint chips. I even screw up paint colors for my house looking at chips lol.

Addicted

Reaction score
Yea thats a nice car. I hate getting rid of things and regretting it. Me and my cousin did a 98 probe gt converted to rwd with a 302. Surprisingly not as hard as it looked!
Supposedly the 94-98 mustang and probe was crafted after each other. Theres some information about this online, it very interesting read if you like the from scratch beginnings, but maybe I'm a nerd:D

OP
OP
AdamP

AdamP

Reaction score
I wish we knew that when we started lol. We did this in like 03 when smart phones were no where what they are today. We kind of just wung it lol. Hell we were still in high school lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea your right. I know what color I'm looking for but seem to be horrible at looking at paint chips. I even screw up paint colors for my house looking at chips lol.
I guess I need to ask, is this something your painting yourself? If not then take a trip to the local paint shop and see what they have or use and be sure to take it outside to make any final decisions. You would be amazed how a different light source can throw a color off.

OP
OP
AdamP

AdamP

Reaction score
Yea that's a good plan. I never sprayed a car and dont trust myself to do so lol

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Supposedly the 94-98 mustang and probe was crafted after each other. Theres some information about this online, it very interesting read if you like the from scratch beginnings, but maybe I'm a nerd:D

The 1st gen was supposed to replace the mustang all together. If you remember how pissed off everyone was about ford calling an EV crossover a mustang, imagine if it had replaced it! A front wheel drive 4 cylinder import. The 94 mustang is the result of the public’s reaction to the probe. It still looks a bit like an import, but that was the idea. They wanted to attract both die hard fans, and people that might have considered an import instead. The 2nd gen probe does look a bit like an evolution of that. ...if the SN95 concept had mated with a celiac of that time period.

I wish we knew that when we started lol. We did this in like 03 when smart phones were no where what they are today. We kind of just wung it lol. Hell we were still in high school lol

I remember getting my first digital camera in the Xmas of 02. Used the daylight out of it in 2003. In the mid 00s, when they became easier to lug around in a purse, they started putting cameras in phones. I thought that was stupid. Why would anyone need that? Maybe if you were in a car wreck or something and needed to take on the scene pictures I guess. The quality was poor, so lugging a separate camera was still the better option. Separate flashlight too. I like watching all the people taking video in their flip phones in Tokyo Drift. They focused on on that as if that was such a big deal to do. ...I mean, it’s night time. How good of a video was it really? I think I got a SLVR back in 06, because I could listen to my mp3s without having to lug around an iPod. I believe that may have been my first camera phone. If not, then a Nokia. The year before.

I guess I need to ask, is this something your painting yourself? If not then take a trip to the local paint shop and see what they have or use and be sure to take it outside to make any final decisions. You would be amazed how a different light source can throw a color off.

if only you could time travel back to a time when you could find these cars in the wild, or even at any random car show. They are gorgeous on the street!

Yea that's a good plan. I never sprayed a car and dont trust myself to do so lol

Here’s where it gets expensive: You pretty much need more paint than you think. We ended up using 2 quarts for my Triumph (and it really needed a full gallon. You want enough to not have any dry spots. You also want a very thick clear. You’re worried about muted/dull areas. It will look like satin/flat if you don’t have enough and then wet sand after. I’ve attached pics of Mazda’s Aurora Blue, which is a cheaper version of Sonic Blue.

Attachments

• 59B4BA37-75B1-4F0D-B477-ACEE3C31E6EE.jpeg
    59B4BA37-75B1-4F0D-B477-ACEE3C31E6EE.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 821BC7D0-25F9-4518-B6CA-DABAD554B5A4.jpeg
    821BC7D0-25F9-4518-B6CA-DABAD554B5A4.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 8
  • 6B1B281C-91CF-4755-9EF7-939154F402B1.jpeg
    6B1B281C-91CF-4755-9EF7-939154F402B1.jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 8
  • 31B33550-2320-4E31-8CF7-32238D3D0567.jpeg
    31B33550-2320-4E31-8CF7-32238D3D0567.jpeg