painting interior console, what went wrong?

sho89mtx

Reaction score
so I looked on youtube and found the correct interior paint that I wanted and cleaned the console, then rubbed with rubbing alcohol, then put vinyl prep on it, then added about 4-8 light coats of paint until the paint can ran out and still had these white spots that would never hold the paint. What am I doing wrong?
Here's the final product so far:
20150617_2149161_zpsppbtvlzt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You should not be using vinyl prep on the console - just the rubbing alcohol. My guess is the vinyl prep is reacting with the plastic and causing your issues.

For the console (not the arm rest - that you should use vinyl prep on - I recommend removing it from the console, the paint you use for it and the console are two different paints), you should clean it with soap and water using a mild scotchbrite pad, make sure to dry it (it MUST be dry), clean it with rubbing alcohol (be quick, don't go crazy - the goal is to remove any final wax or grease) then spray it with lacquer dye in the color that you want (NOT vinyl dye). I also *highly* recommend that you wear gloves, like the nitrile ones. You do not want to be touching your just-cleaned parts with your bare fingers, you will transfer oil back on and cause the paint to react funny.

Use these instructions (they are for a Fox, but still apply):

[video=youtube;OvyiK57uzuo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyiK57uzuo[/video]

This was me painting a tan console to white:

Before:

IMG_2099.jpg

During:

IMG_2107.jpg

And After:

IMG_3711.jpg

Also, I'm not sure what paint you used, but you should you be using lacquer dye for the plastic pieces, and vinyl dye for the vinyl pieces. I purchased my paint from Late Model Restoration.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Any sort of wax/grease or containamaints will do that.

I painted my focus' console. I used a wax remover and an adhesive spray my local paint store recommended. The adhesive allows the paint to bond better and will greatly improve durability to prevent cracking and flaking.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
is the light marks scuffs from your seat? or has the console never been put back in yet? how are you getting these marks? by rubbing with a rag or something? to me it doesn't look like the paints rubbing off as much as its just getting scuffed up. oif thats the case i'd do a couple coats of low luster clear after prep and paint. sem sells it

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
You should not be using vinyl prep on the console - just the rubbing alcohol. My guess is the vinyl prep is reacting with the plastic and causing your issues.

For the console (not the arm rest - that you should use vinyl prep on - I recommend removing it from the console, the paint you use for it and the console are two different paints), you should clean it with soap and water using a mild scotchbrite pad, make sure to dry it (it MUST be dry), clean it with rubbing alcohol (be quick, don't go crazy - the goal is to remove any final wax or grease) then spray it with lacquer dye in the color that you want (NOT vinyl dye). I also *highly* recommend that you wear gloves, like the nitrile ones. You do not want to be touching your just-cleaned parts with your bare fingers, you will transfer oil back on and cause the paint to react funny.

Use these instructions (they are for a Fox, but still apply):

[video=youtube;OvyiK57uzuo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyiK57uzuo[/video]

This was me painting a tan console to white:

Before:

IMG_2099.jpg

During:

IMG_2107.jpg

And After:

IMG_3711.jpg

Also, I'm not sure what paint you used, but you should you be using lacquer dye for the plastic pieces, and vinyl dye for the vinyl pieces. I purchased my paint from Late Model Restoration.

unfortunately I already watched that video before doing that video, but couldn't find that find of paint at autozone or didn't know the right one to get, so just hoped the vinyl and plastic interior paint I used would work. Could u please show me or tell me what can of paint and where u got for your console, it looks amazing! Also where did u buy that cover and boot with the white stictching on it, I love it and want one too?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
unfortunately I already watched that video before doing that video, but couldn't find that find of paint at autozone or didn't know the right one to get, so just hoped the vinyl and plastic interior paint I used would work. Could u please show me or tell me what can of paint and where u got for your console, it looks amazing! Also where did u buy that cover and boot with the white stictching on it, I love it and want one too?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Sure thing, dude. :)

For PLASTIC, you must use lacquer paint. LMR sells it, look through their selection of colors here: LMR Lacquer Interior Paint

For VINYL, you must use vinyl paint. LMR also sells it, look through their selection of colors here: LMR Vinyl Interior Paint

I ordered my paint from LMR. If you don't want to get it from LMR for some reason, it's a SEM product, so I assume if you know the paint code of the color LMR sells, you can buy it anywhere that sells SEM paint (I don't know if LMR has it custom mixed up for them or not).

The armrest cover, ebrake boot and shifter boot are from Redline Goods (guy's name is Mike, he's a nice guy and great to work with, he made me some custom door handle boots). The covers in the pic are black alcantara with white stitching.

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
Sure thing, dude. :)

For PLASTIC, you must use lacquer paint. LMR sells it, look through their selection of colors here: LMR Lacquer Interior Paint

For VINYL, you must use vinyl paint. LMR also sells it, look through their selection of colors here: LMR Vinyl Interior Paint

I ordered my paint from LMR. If you don't want to get it from LMR for some reason, it's a SEM product, so I assume if you know the paint code of the color LMR sells, you can buy it anywhere that sells SEM paint (I don't know if LMR has it custom mixed up for them or not).

The armrest cover, ebrake boot and shifter boot are from Redline Goods (guy's name is Mike, he's a nice guy and great to work with, he made me some custom door handle boots). The covers in the pic are black alcantara with white stitching.
thanks for all the info. The only thing is currently my car is in the shop getting my new Exedy Clutch put in and goodies and have the console sitting out and want to finish it asap before I get my car back and really don't want to wait to get that paint by online. Any store u know of that sells that type of paint, like autozone, pepboys, walmart, lowes etc? The SEM brand or something equivilent?

lutter94

Reaction score
Whats your location? Some autoparts stores may carry SEM dye. I went to Auto Body Specialties in Sioux Falls, SD. That type of store in your area would be similar...

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen some NAPA's in my area carry some SEM dye. I don't remember if AutoZone or those types carry it.

lutter94

Reaction score
There's a sherwin automotive place you could call. I just googled automotive paint and look for what pops up. Call around and ask at this point.....

A finishmaster in OKC too.....

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
There's a sherwin automotive place you could call. I just googled automotive paint and look for what pops up. Call around and ask at this point.....

A finishmaster in OKC too.....
so these house paint places carry this type of automotive paint too?

lutter94

Reaction score
[h=1]Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes[/h]416 Hudiburg Cir Ste C
Oklahoma City, OK 73108

[h=1]FinishMaster, Inc.[/h]429 NW 7th St
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes

416 Hudiburg Cir Ste C
Oklahoma City, OK 73108

FinishMaster, Inc.

429 NW 7th St
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

WOW! You are the man! You found the location better than me, when I pulled up sherwin williams, it just showed some place on 35th and classen that was housepaint place. I actually live close to that place and i'll go. They should have the right paint, correct?

also I noticed your from Iowa. My grandparents and parents are from Waterloo, Iowa u know where that is?

lutter94

Reaction score
I would call both locations first and ask. Waterloo is the other side, I'm in the nw corner and back in SoDak a lot. Lol. I know some people from that area though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online