painting interior console, what went wrong?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
looks to me that all the areas it didn't stick are the same areas that would have been exposed and easily cleaned with armorall or some other detailing spray that soaked in over the years. Go over it with scotchbright and alcohol don't be afraid of light scratches the paint will fix it.

lutter94

Reaction score
SEM Landau Black is the color you need. LMR hides it on their site, so people don't just use them for research and then buy it somewhere else cheaper.....
This is what you need, should work for most interior surfaces, vinyl, plastic, etc. It's what I used. Only problems is when the ebrake handle rubbed some off, and I handled it before it was 100% cured. Looks great otherwise. Matches well.
[h=1]SEM 15013 Landau Black Color Coat - 12 oz.[/h]

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
SEM Landau Black is the color you need. LMR hides it on their site, so people don't just use them for research and then buy it somewhere else cheaper.....
This is what you need, should work for most interior surfaces, vinyl, plastic, etc. It's what I used. Only problems is when the ebrake handle rubbed some off, and I handled it before it was 100% cured. Looks great otherwise. Matches well.
SEM 15013 Landau Black Color Coat - 12 oz.

k, well my interior is actually charcoal black they said, like a dark gray, but painted them black to be different

lutter94

Reaction score
Oh crap, sorry. Thought I looked back and saw 96. Must have seen a different sig. Sounds like there are a couple different charcoal blacks, depending on the year. I couldn't find a deadset answer about it. You converting everything to black then?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you are worried about matching the color, I would suggest getting the paint from LMR and just driving your car for a few days without the console while you wait for the paint to arrive in the mail ;) LMR has pretty quick shipping.

If you are changing the color (which I don't think you are doing since you said you were just painting the console while the car was getting worked on, my guess is to touch it up, thus keeping the same color?), then source the color you want from wherever (locally) and just use that color for everything.

lutter94

Reaction score
The LMR stuff is SEM stuff, they just don't tell you which one it is. From what I understand.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Or it's custom mixed up for them? I don't know. I have a couple cans from LMR sitting around from when I painted - when this thread came up I tried search the interwebz for SEM and then the number on the can (but NOT from the sticker that LMR slapped on). I didn't really get any hits. :dontknow:

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
I got some stuff and it worked as black, but didn't take into a accoung the ring around the shifter bezel not matching the console, so kinda looks weird to me now. What's the easiest way to remove the spray paint that I put on and just go out and buy the LMR stuff?

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
looks to me that all the areas it didn't stick are the same areas that would have been exposed and easily cleaned with armorall or some other detailing spray that soaked in over the years. Go over it with scotchbright and alcohol don't be afraid of light scratches the paint will fix it.

saw your signature pic and went to that site. That's pretty cool. Looks like car domain site that i used to have all my cars I ever owned on there. Might need to sign up for that one

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
do the scotchbright with the alcohol or what ever pretreatment you are using. after all the years of interior detailers you really need to get the top layer off that has all the residue on it. You don't want a heavy sanding mark left really just take the shine off the top layer.

Driiive is like car domain but much better even before they screwed it up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.