Painting interior plastics

delling3

Reaction score
Just picked up a used center console for my '96. It is the wrong color, so I need to paint it. Appears that SEM paints seem to be preferred for this. Looking at them, they are recommending the use of an adhesion promoter prior to color coat. They have two types depending on plastic type. I am guessing that the consoles on our cars are ABS plastic, but would like to confirm. Can someone confirm? What worked for you?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just used it on an air bag. I started off by washing it with just regular dishwashing soap and a scotchbright pad and then I used a wax/grease remover I had for painting. You could probably get by with just alcohol but the dash is pretty close to abs if you want to buy the can. The most important part is just to get it clean and get all the old dash cleaners/shine off before you start spraying.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I started like Scott with Dawn and then used the Sem prep spray. Worked very well.

BJ98Cobra

Reaction score
What I understand for the prep spray is that it works real good for soft vinyl. For the hard plastics I used denatured alcohol for the last step, just be sure not to use to much and make sure it's dry before you paint. Use light coats 5 -7 minutes apart until you get the desired results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online