Painting my 04 Cobra Rims

SVTstang96

Reaction score
I have been talking to [MENTION=17027]whiplash473[/MENTION] and after seeing his rims painted have decided to ditch my plans of polishing my rims (7 hours each) and just having them painted.

After talking to a buddy who paints he told me about this.... It's a new paint from Sikkens.

So here is option a:

"Autobase Plus Special Effect Color - ArgentumAutobase Plus Argentum leafing aluminum

Autobase Plus Argentum silver is a leafing aluminum and is ready to spray basecoat with such a high metallic reflectance that is appears somewhat like bright aluminum. May be used to duplicate OEM wheel silver. Autobase Plus Argentum must be used in conjuction with a Sikkens clearcoat in order to provide protection from the environment."
I will have to try and find some pictures or have my painter get me a sample of it but for now that sounds promising....

http://www.sikkens.net/sikkenscr/US/Products/Pages/AutobasePlusSpecialEffectColor-Argentum.aspx

And here is option b:
I can have them painted a shade of metallic silver (unknown shade for now) and have them cleared with a satin clear or a clear with flattening agent. This would give an almost aluminum like effect with metallic in it to make it pop.

Here are some pictures of different metallic silvers with satin clear.

002.JPG

53ChevyDe1.jpg

images

mavisky

Reaction score
Love matte silver. I think the curves of the SN's would play well to that color.

OP
OP
SVTstang96

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Love matte silver. I think the curves of the SN's would play well to that color.

I agree, too bad my car had already been painted 2 years ago.... or I would have done it. Now that I think of it though I don't think a light silver like that would look well with my opal frost, maybe I will do a darker silver. Something like this

veloster1.jpg

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think if you go gray it'll start to blending in with tire and darken the appearance of the car. Kinda sucks the wheels into the wheel well too. Just my opinion. I like going lighter rather than darker.

OP
OP
SVTstang96

SVTstang96

Reaction score
I think if you go gray it'll start to blending in with tire and darken the appearance of the car. Kinda sucks the wheels into the wheel well too. Just my opinion. I like going lighter rather than darker.

OK here's the plan. Why don't I just have side painted lighter, and the other darker. Then we can have a vote on what looks best!

or.... I can just have him paint some scrap metal and I can hold it up and see what looks best.

OP
OP
SVTstang96

SVTstang96

Reaction score
I will be heading down to the paint shop monday to pick up a color book to test against my car. I will post 3 or 4 colors on here for input

OP
OP
SVTstang96

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Here is what I am thinking! This gives you an idea what a dark silver would look like. Ill get some pics from the paint shop on what colors I am considering.

4XVEQX7.jpg

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
Could always post a high res pic of your car and someone could chop the color on the wheels...

OP
OP
SVTstang96

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Could always post a high res pic of your car and someone could chop the color on the wheels...

Sorry no his res pics at the moment, and currently they are not in the car. This is my car in the pics that I chopped 04 cobras onto

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online