Painting Rear Valence?

TheBoss

Reaction score
On my car right now I decided that it would be a better idea to put a peice of vinyl instead of paint. Well its all peeling off and looks like shit, so does anyone have step by step instructions and a list of products i need to purchase to do this... I dont want to fubar my bumper up

Thanks

ryclef331

Reaction score
get your self some sand paper....300 should be all you need really. Sand off everything that is peeling and get it all smooth. Wetsand it if you'd like for a better final product (just a spray bottle with soapy water is all you need). Get it ALL smooth and then clean is off with some soapy water and rinse thoroughly. Let it dry. Tack it off (by tack I mean take a rag with a minimal amount of mineral spirits and just get the dust, oil, and any remaining contaminants off). Tape off what you don't want painted....don't be afraid to get crazy with the masking. Better to have ZERO overspray and alot of newspaper left over. Then spray it will semi-gloss black or flat....your preference. Light even coast. 2-3 should be good.

TIP: Put the spray paint in a bucket of hot water before painting. It makes the paint thinner and raises the car pressure for a finer coat. Less likely to encounter runs and it goes on more even. I learned this when I flat blacked a 91 Eagle Talon.

I'm going to be doing my rear insert from scratch with a rattle can. I might be a tech article outta it....

r_suh

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
get your self some sand paper....300 should be all you need really. Sand off everything that is peeling and get it all smooth. Wetsand it if you'd like for a better final product (just a spray bottle with soapy water is all you need). Get it ALL smooth and then clean is off with some soapy water and rinse thoroughly. Let it dry. Tack it off (by tack I mean take a rag with a minimal amount of mineral spirits and just get the dust, oil, and any remaining contaminants off). Tape off what you don't want painted....don't be afraid to get crazy with the masking. Better to have ZERO overspray and alot of newspaper left over. Then spray it will semi-gloss black or flat....your preference. Light even coast. 2-3 should be good.

TIP: Put the spray paint in a bucket of hot water before painting. It makes the paint thinner and raises the car pressure for a finer coat. Less likely to encounter runs and it goes on more even. I learned this when I flat blacked a 91 Eagle Talon.

I'm going to be doing my rear insert from scratch with a rattle can. I might be a tech article outta it....
tech article do it do it do it. pictures !

Brickyard

Reaction score
I wish I would have read this before I painted mine two weeks ago. I would have done a killer write up with a crapload of progress pics. It's really easy, and WELL worth it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Staff online