Painting the Roof Questions

97Sleeper

Reaction score
On my 97 the roof is starting to peel and rust pretty bad so I'm going to repaint it, but I figured there's a way to get it to be just a bare roof or take off the molding that's a over the doors and rear quarter panels, still new to the mustang world so don't really know much about it, I tried finding a thread on it but didn't have any luck, is there anyway to remove those so I can get to the edges of the roof?

Thanks- Kyle

kb1982

Reaction score
This is his area of expertise [MENTION=17027]whiplash473[/MENTION]

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
On my 97 the roof is starting to peel and rust pretty bad so I'm going to repaint it, but I figured there's a way to get it to be just a bare roof or take off the molding that's a over the doors and rear quarter panels, still new to the mustang world so don't really know much about it, I tried finding a thread on it but didn't have any luck, is there anyway to remove those so I can get to the edges of the roof?

Thanks- Kyle

Well, first things first, you're probably gonna break the roof rails pulling them off. That's a pretty stupid design from Ford. The sail panels that wrap the 1/4 window will come off with three or four 10mm nuts. The studs are molded into the sail panel.

Where is the rust coming from?

This is his area of expertise whiplash473

:thumbsup:

OP
OP

97Sleeper

Reaction score
Well, first things first, you're probably gonna break the roof rails pulling them off. That's a pretty stupid design from Ford. The sail panels that wrap the 1/4 window will come off with three or four 10mm nuts. The studs are molded into the sail panel.

Where is the rust coming from?

The rust is just coming from the front in the middle above the windshield and in the crevice on the edges of the sail panels, most just caused from the car being neglected for so long, but I know it's just surface rust.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The rust is just coming from the front in the middle above the windshield and in the crevice on the edges of the sail panels, most just caused from the car being neglected for so long, but I know it's just surface rust.

There's no point in going through with this if you don't pull the windshield then. Once you can see rust it's already exponentially worse wherever you can't see.

Actually, if you could post a pic that would help out big time. Much easier to figure things out via internet with pics.

OP
OP

97Sleeper

Reaction score
There's no point in going through with this if you don't pull the windshield then. Once you can see rust it's already exponentially worse wherever you can't see.

Actually, if you could post a pic that would help out big time. Much easier to figure things out via internet with pics.
Not around the car right now but will post up a picture of the car when I get around it, so you're saying it's not worth painting the roof?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
He's saying its not worth doing if you don't do it right.

The panels and windshield need to be removed. Don't just slap paint on it.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
If the roof rust goes under the window molding/seal then the windows will need to come out and rust repaired. Otherwise the painted over rust will come back through the fresh paint in a matter of months

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online