Parking brake spring (re)install

KeeperZoo

Reaction score
Hi all,

while installing a new caliper, the parking brake return spring fell out as I was trying to hook up the cable, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to put it back. Does anyone know of a simple way to do this? I can compress the spring with a pipe wrench but there is not enough space to install it that way.
spring.png

OP
OP
K

KeeperZoo

Reaction score
I use a large pair of channel lock pliers.
Maybe I need to get a bigger pair of channel locks, couldn't compress it enough with the 12" ones I currently have.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just a stupid thought, never tried it or heard of it being done but it might work. Can you compress it, and then use a zip tie or a piece of wire to hold it compressed and slide it in and cut it off? I can't picture how its in the assembly as its been a while since I looked at it.

OP
OP
K

KeeperZoo

Reaction score
just a stupid thought, never tried it or heard of it being done but it might work. Can you compress it, and then use a zip tie or a piece of wire to hold it compressed and slide it in and cut it off?

Great minds think alike ;) I actually tried this but the zip tie snapped when I released the pressure...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

KeeperZoo

Reaction score
After spending an unreasonable amount of time on this, I finally broke down and bought pair of 16" Crescent pliers for $20. It only took a couple of minutes to install the spring with the right tool... Another time-consuming problem I ran into while working on the brake system is that the sizes of the fittings are not listed in the manual, I think I counted 5 or 6 different sizes, and a union in the passenger side wheel well, it took several orders to get the full set. And of course Ford used both bubble and inverted flares on this car, with no apparent rhyme or reason...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yup I found out about the difference of a bubble and double when I redid my brakes, and then redid a few ends.....

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Surprise..no rhyme or reason, that pushed me over the edge for a week making a clean set up for Brembos. Now you are ready to figure out how to do PBR Cobras on the rear..
IMG_1448-D.jpg

Here are PBRs front and rear.
Brembos are for sale..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online