Passenger airbag.. not sure which route to go.

riored4v

Reaction score
Working on swapping out my black/tan interior to a full black interior. I've been collecting the pieces to just swap out instead of dying all of the pieces.

I recently picked up a passenger airbag on eBay. The listing didnt provide a color, but the pictures made it look black. Well, it arrived and it's grey. The seller said they would refund my money if I choose to go that route.

So now I have a tan airbag and a grey airbag. In my mind, it would be easiest to dye a grey airbag black rather than the tan and then I could sell my tan one. But I'm also unsure of how well a dyed one would look compared to rest of the interior.

Which route would you guys go? Dye one of the current airbags, or just sell/return and keep searching for a black one to swap in?

Tony Corley

Reaction score
I would return and get a black one. There are plenty of the out there.

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
After thinking more about it last night, I think that might the route I go. Haven't decided if I want to return or just try to sell it on my own, but I decided against the idea of dying it.

Tony Corley

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what type of packaging was it shipped to you in? I have several airbags, but have never sold any because I understand shipping is an issue.

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
It was just a normal box with peanuts in it. They had wrapped it in a clingwrap type material on the outside of the box. The driver airbag i bought though came in a normal usps box with peanuts.

Tony Corley

Reaction score
Hmm, my understanding is that is a federal offense? I know there are special boxes and wrapping they are supposed to be shipped in, along with special tags. I've never shipped one because of all the hassle it seemed to require. I like the outside of prison bars, so I would never just stick one in a box and ship it. lol.

GEORGEKLASS

Reaction score
If you can get a full refund, I would just return it. Way too many clean black bags out there for cheap.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Hmm, my understanding is that is a federal offense? I know there are special boxes and wrapping they are supposed to be shipped in, along with special tags. I've never shipped one because of all the hassle it seemed to require. I like the outside of prison bars, so I would never just stick one in a box and ship it. lol.
Im not sure why shipping an airbag would be an issue.. especially airbags from our cars where there is no way it would go off with no power to it... my understanding is theres nothing that will go off just by dropping it.. i boughy a drivers side airbag.. came in a box with newspaper

Tony Corley

Reaction score
Shipping an airbag without proper labeling and packaging is a federal offense. Contrary to your statement, they can actually be discharged by static electricity. I also understand that atmospheric pressure changes inside an airplane can possibly discharge them. As long as they are packaged and labeled correctly so that the shippers know what they are dealing with, then they know the correct precautions to take. If you send one in a regular box, unlabeled, and something happens, you are responsible. Would really suck to be charged with Manslaughter because one discharged and killed a person.

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
If you can get a full refund, I would just return it. Way too many clean black bags out there for cheap.

I've tried listing it up for sale to just see if I can unload it quickly. I could get a full refund, but the shipping back to the seller would be on me. Figure I will try to get out of it what I paid first.

JKady

Reaction score
Shipping an airbag without proper labeling and packaging is a federal offense. Contrary to your statement, they can actually be discharged by static electricity. I also understand that atmospheric pressure changes inside an airplane can possibly discharge them. As long as they are packaged and labeled correctly so that the shippers know what they are dealing with, then they know the correct precautions to take. If you send one in a regular box, unlabeled, and something happens, you are responsible. Would really suck to be charged with Manslaughter because one discharged and killed a person.

Yup, they have to be hazmat tagged if they're complete because they are an explosive device. S197's have a recall on the driver's airbag igniter and when I swap them out at work they come with 2 pages of instructions on proper tagging/labeling so Fedex knows what they're handling when it gets shipped back to Ford. The packaging isn't anything special, just cardboard and foam but the shipping info is pretty explicit about what's in the box.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online