Passenger side window conversion? Anyone?

eesjunin

Reaction score
Question for all...perhaps i missed it my search..but:
Has anyone done or looked into the change and what it might require to the passenger, back seat, windows?
And what i mean by change is ability to roll them down?
Somewhere along these lines, take the concept from the convertible and apply it to the coupe?
Thoughts/opinions?

Royal96

Reaction score
I think he means what it would take to make the quarter windows roll down like in a vert.

lutter94

Reaction score
look up the removable hard top mustangs, i'm sure you could do it, maybe find a vert in a junkyard. I like the idea....b pillar would still be there though, might look weird.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I've thought about this too, my dog always rides in the back seat and likes to hang his face out the window. It would probably take some time and fabricating but I bet it's possible. If there is an easy conversion then I would do it

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Having just removed my back windows to prime/paint I can tell you it would take a fair amount of work to reshape the quarter to allow it to slide up/down. I know it seems like it would be simple but between the mechanical side to get it to move and the cosmetic side to make it look good your in for one hell for one hell of a pain in your ass if you do it all yourself, or a REALLY BIG $$$$ to pay someone to do it. And that is just labor the parts would be minimal in this case. Remember as the bill gets bigger you have to write smaller on the check.....

Royal96

Reaction score
I wonder how hard it would be to use a vert quarter panel to try and do this?
I have no idea, since I dont know how they even work on the verts.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed with ttocs, it would be really, really difficult and/or time consuming to make them roll down. If you are looking to get some ventalation back there you are better off trying something like the old mini-van/van windows where there's a catch, and you sort of pop it out and the window hinges a little to open on the catch side.

Not sure if I'm being clear, but something like this (the bottom, open part):

31nm2gMmWqL.jpg

Or like how they did it on the old cars to get some ventilation before A/C was common:

1965_AMC_Ambassador_detail_of_vent_window.jpg

68-Oldsmobile-442-Vent-Windows.jpg

27d358a6be1d3439a54d017106e78e9e.jpg

While still not easy, I suspect it's easier than trying to fabricate something to allow the rear quarter to roll down.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you might be able to make them pop out on one side like I know a number of trucks do on their back windows but taking a vert quarter and then welding/adapting it again will be a painful mix of mechanical and cosmetic

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I also have been thinking about doing this for quite some time as well. But havent gotten to where I'm actually taking measurements. or buying parts.
The screws are still turning though.

OP
OP
eesjunin

eesjunin

Reaction score
@ Royal...thanks for clarifying this.

My train of thoughts was to get everything that a convertible is using with respect to those window...cause they go down...
I would love to roll down these windows...
I am thinking a junk yard trip to see how exactly the convertible is structured to accept these and possibly using all the components from the convertible and not reusing the current windows we got...
Now its time to do it since i got the car completely apart.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would go take out the inside of the B-C pillar area inside and look at how the window is currently mounted before you look at the mechanical side. There is plenty of space in there to mount what ever mechanical pieces you need in the fender but getting it to seal and not cause more problems I think will be the biggest hurdle.

87hurricane

Reaction score
I really think the B pillar would be the biggest hurdle to overcome. I dont think the car is strong enough to support the roof without them, and I don't see how you'd ever make the vert windows work with the B pillar in place.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
should not be done but I would assume the guy that is going to do it is a bored body/paint guy that happens to have a good hard top and a totaled convertible sitting and gets a crazy idea after drinking a 12 pack and cut up both cars before he sobered up and decided not too. He woke up that next morning, saw the cars all cut up and though, "WTF was I thinking?! Oh well can't stop now...." By the time you figure in the price of a clip, the time to get the quarter off of your car, time to get it off the parts car, and THEN you start putting them together. Just when your really starting to have fun you get to start the body work and don't forget you will need to figure something out for what to do the the roof line both to just seal it from rain as well as not look stupid.... No use in blending 2/3 of the car back to the othe 1/3 so you better go paint it all and then you will have someone occasionally go crazy if they notice it. Does all this sound like its worth the price paid in $$$ and time?

If its really that important to you, it would be cheaper and even easier to find an original cobra with the hard top vert option and it will also be worth 10X then the modified version when you go to resell it.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
If its really that important to you, it would be cheaper and even easier to find an original cobra with the hard top vert option and it will also be worth 10X then the modified version when you go to resell it.

Or buy a GT convertible and buy the hard top from Smoothline.

OP
OP
eesjunin

eesjunin

Reaction score
should not be done but I would assume the guy that is going to do it is a bored body/paint guy that happens to have a good hard top and a totaled convertible sitting and gets a crazy idea after drinking a 12 pack and cut up both cars before he sobered up and decided not too. He woke up that next morning, saw the cars all cut up and though, "WTF was I thinking?! Oh well can't stop now...." By the time you figure in the price of a clip, the time to get the quarter off of your car, time to get it off the parts car, and THEN you start putting them together. Just when your really starting to have fun you get to start the body work and don't forget you will need to figure something out for what to do the the roof line both to just seal it from rain as well as not look stupid.... No use in blending 2/3 of the car back to the othe 1/3 so you better go paint it all and then you will have someone occasionally go crazy if they notice it. Does all this sound like its worth the price paid in $$$ and time?

Recall that my stang is completely apart...inside out
Little easier to configure whats what...i just need to explore what the convertable shell looks like...
and since i did own a 95 converatable...i dont recall it being much different

But some people just like to turn wrenches and work on stuff.......
Exactly...just cause no-one has done it - it doesnt mean its not feasible

Or buy a GT convertible and buy the hard top from Smoothline.
uuuummm Skip that

87hurricane

Reaction score
How are you thinking about setting up the rear windows? You aren't really considering removing the B pillar are you?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online