Pats key reprogramming

J_lope82

Reaction score
96 mustang gt
I borrowed a scan tool to reprogram a new key since I bought the car with only one. The only option this scan tool gave was to erase key codes. So I erased key codes and then the car would die after start up. I erased the codes again and cycled both keys right after and now they both work. I am wondering if that’s the correct way to reprogram keys or did I just erased all key codes and now no keys are program and any key would work.

joemomma

Reaction score
Not sure, I suppose you could test with another key that you haven't programmed? Maybe buy one at Autozone (do they even sell them?) and then return it?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought that you were only able to store 3-4 codes before it was full and then needed to have the memory deleted and then you could store more but I only had to mess with it once years ago now.

OpalFrostGT

Reaction score
Not sure, I suppose you could test with another key that you haven't programmed? Maybe buy one at Autozone (do they even sell them?) and then return it?
My apologirs to you joemomma, I did not see your post. We were probably writing at almost the same time and your post popped up before mine.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
Well the new key works now when before it didnt and now the anti-theft light does not come on. I’m wondering if the anti-theft system is fully disabled. Is there even such thing?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
when you said you cycled the keys I was assuming you meant you programmed them? What does cycling mean to you?

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
when you said you cycled the keys I was assuming you meant you programmed them? What does cycling mean to you?
I moved the keys inside the ignition cylinder from off to on back to off.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I moved the keys inside the ignition cylinder from off to on back to off.
I’m not sure if by doing that they got programmed or they just work because I inadvertently disabled the anti-theft system if that is even possible.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if the car is starting then they are programmed. I Thought you had to leave the key in the ignition for 5-10 mins for it to program

1998MustangVert

Reaction score
Sorry to push into this forum, but I just ordered a few new keys to replace mine. After 23 years they are pretty beat up, one is cracked at the loop it can’t be used on a key ring anymore. I don’t know if any previous owners had keys programmed that were lost or never distributed from one owner to another… I Have seen that the max number of program keys is eight, but I’m not sure what happens if I hit that max number. Does it just stop excepting new keys, or will it override the oldest programmed keys? I can’t seem to find any information on this online. Thanks!

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
Sorry to push into this forum, but I just ordered a few new keys to replace mine. After 23 years they are pretty beat up, one is cracked at the loop it can’t be used on a key ring anymore. I don’t know if any previous owners had keys programmed that were lost or never distributed from one owner to another… I Have seen that the max number of program keys is eight, but I’m not sure what happens if I hit that max number. Does it just stop excepting new keys, or will it override the oldest programmed keys? I can’t seem to find any information on this online. Thanks!
You can erase the old ones and just program the ones you bought.

1998MustangVert

Reaction score
You can erase the old ones and just program the ones you bought.
I assume using forscan? I really don’t want to remove any keys because if they work they’ll be good to have as a spare if something happens. I also don’t want to get into using the computer because I don’t want to mess anything up.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I assume using forscan? I really don’t want to remove any keys because if they work they’ll be good to have as a spare if something happens. I also don’t want to get into using the computer because I don’t want to mess anything up.
Forscan has the capability to program new keys including the ones you already had.

1998MustangVert

Reaction score
Forscan has the capability to program new keys including the ones you already had.
I was able to use FORscan and that cable to erase and reprogram the PATS keys. My hunch was right, there was an additional key somewhere that was programmed to my car, but no more! Thanks so much for the advice!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online