pbr caliper upgrade on 94 gt

daltonduree

Reaction score
as we all know the 94 gts had piss poor brakes. is it worth the swap to the new edge calipers? get some drilled and sloted rotors. and some good pads. is it worth the upgrade?

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've got PBR fronts on mine, they're a nice upgrade but I'd just hold out for a cobra setup.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Calipers and rotors. I'm not sure if you need lines or not but there's a chance the calipers would come with them, if not then I'd upgrade the lines anyways.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i thought the calipers between gt and cobra were the same it was just a bracket

Negative

PBR (or equivalent) ↓

IMG_1652.JPG

Cobra ↓

90475d1266036929-1995-cobra-brakes-mustang-gt-cobra-kit2.jpg

chris91

Reaction score
Cobras also utilize 13" rotors where the gt only has 11".

Honestly though if its just a street car the gt setup will be fine for you.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
its just a street car for now. i want to take it on a road course when its finished.

I'd definitely go with a cobra swap instead then.

EDIT: [MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION] maybe you can shed some light on this whole thing and what route he should take.

chris91

Reaction score
If you plan on really racing it then I'd go with a Cobra setup. If you only plan on going a couple times a good set of pads with the PBR's will work good for ya. They stop my heavy pig plenty good enough when I'm beatin on it. :D

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
[MENTION=17027]whiplash473[/MENTION] did you have to grind the spindle any to fit the pbr calipers on there

RichV

Reaction score
For the fronts, you'd need 13" rotors and Cobra calipers/bracket/pads. A little grinding of your spindle.

For the rears, you'd need the Cobra rotors, axle bracket, and grind the crap out of the GT caliper bracket, caliper is the same.

Once you do this, you will also need the Cobra master cylinder along with some hardware to make it work right. Otherwise the pedal feels like stepping into a big bag of dog-shit and all of a sudden the brakes lock-up.

As far as the GT versus Cobra setup, if you guys would run something other than cheap ass pads like Carbotech, Hawk, or even EBC. Flush the 10 year old fluid with some Valvoline synthetic DOT 3/4, and maybe add some braided lines you'd see a HUGE improvement in the braking ability. The OE GT brakes work very well, I ran them on my track car for a couple of seasons. I did have the 99-04 PBR calipers up front. The braking is very well balanced, the Cobra gear looks cool under bigger wheels but absolutely not necessary on the street. I will say that once you really start pushing the brakes (Cobra or GT) you definitely need brake cooling.

OP
OP
D

daltonduree

Reaction score
i have always been told that the gt master cylinder will run the pbrs fine just will feel a little stiffer. which i would like. my petal feels like mush now. the rear calipers from 94-04 stayed the same just a different bracket and rotor. so why do i need the cobra master cylinder to run the pbr calipers up front if others say i dont need it? how is there a difference between the gt and cobra master cylinder if they used the same caliper just utalised a different bracket and rotor?

so what i need for gt is the front calipers and brackets

for cobra i need rear brackets, front brackets, rotors all around and the pbr calipers.

correct? and i know i need new brake hoses. but im not buying braded brake lines. the cobras dont run any higher pressure and so why would i need them? rubber lines have a kevlar like weave in them to prevent swelling. a swelling like means a bad line.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
whiplash473 did you have to grind the spindle any to fit the pbr calipers on there

i had had to grind them on my 94 to get a PBR caliper on there... To my knowledge it's only 94-95 you have to do this on

Negative, but, with my car's previous owners, who knows what stories my spindles could tell.

94-95 only for grinding 96+ you won't have to.

i have always been told that the gt master cylinder will run the pbrs fine just will feel a little stiffer. which i would like. my petal feels like mush now. the rear calipers from 94-04 stayed the same just a different bracket and rotor. so why do i need the cobra master cylinder to run the pbr calipers up front if others say i dont need it? how is there a difference between the gt and cobra master cylinder if they used the same caliper just utalised a different bracket and rotor?

so what i need for gt is the front calipers and brackets

for cobra i need rear brackets, front brackets, rotors all around and the pbr calipers.

correct? and i know i need new brake hoses. but im not buying braded brake lines. the cobras dont run any higher pressure and so why would i need them? rubber lines have a kevlar like weave in them to prevent swelling. a swelling like means a bad line.

i have known many people run the Gt Master Cyl with the cobra fronts and be more hen fine with it also.

Actually on cobra the rear caliper mounting bracket different plate and different rotor. So 3 things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online