pbr caliper upgrade on 94 gt

OP
OP
D

daltonduree

Reaction score
If it's a street car, get a good set of pads and call it a day. If you want more...

I replaced my 95 GT brakes with the Mach kit (same as Cobra, but has running pony on it instead of "Cobra" - I did the fronts and rear. Also went with SS brake lines, including the one that goes from the trunk to the pumpkin. I did not grind anything. Fitment was perfect. I did not swap my MC. Pedal feels firm, car stops extremely well. I use Hawk HP+ pads. This is a very good setup IMO for not tons of money.
you didnt have to grind anything on the rear even? i already ordered the cobra brackets and rotors for the front. sold an old tool box and figured i needed new gt rotors anyways so might as well spend money once.

also i dont plan on using crappy rubber hoses. ill use the quality rubber hoses. a hose should never swell at all. only when they brake down and go bad do they do that

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
you didnt have to grind anything on the rear even? i already ordered the cobra brackets and rotors for the front. sold an old tool box and figured i needed new gt rotors anyways so might as well spend money once.

also i dont plan on using crappy rubber hoses. ill use the quality rubber hoses. a hose should never swell at all. only when they brake down and go bad do they do that

Color me dumb, but what brackets are necessary for you to put the cobra rotors on the front? I was under the impression from this very thread they weren't necessary...

I thought it just
(2) cobra rotors
(2) cobra calipers
(2 sets) brake pads

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
Just so you know the 2 piston PBR caliper found on 99-04 GTs/V6s is not the same PBR Caliper found on 94-04 Cobras, so if you think you're going to use the same calipers just with a different bracket that will not work, but also a side note 03/04 Cobra calipers had larger pistons than the 94-98 Cobras, 99/01 Cobras, Bullitts, and Machs. If I do remember correctly the 03/04 Cobra calipers are 36mm and the other Calipers are 32mm Madstang could help clarify this.

Addermk2

Reaction score
we just clearified that they are the same caliper dude.

:facepalm:

Not correct.

Just so you know the 2 piston PBR caliper found on 99-04 GTs/V6s is not the same PBR Caliper found on 94-04 Cobras, so if you think you're going to use the same calipers just with a different bracket that will not work, but also a side note 03/04 Cobra calipers had larger pistons than the 94-98 Cobras, 99/01 Cobras, Bullitts, and Machs. If I do remember correctly the 03/04 Cobra calipers are 36mm and the other Calipers are 32mm Madstang could help clarify this.

Fact: The 94-98 GT/V6 calipers are woefully inadequate for our cars. The 99-04 GT (see I said GT) PBR (brand) dual piston calipers are a direct swap for the 94-98 GT/V6. The spindle usually needs some loving right where the pistons pass across it. The brake rotor is the same part from 94-04 for all GT/V6 cars.

Fact: The 99-04 GT/V6 caliper and the 94-04 Cobra calipers are both produced by PBR. However they are not the same caliper. They do not share the same bracket, and they DO NOT use the same rotor.

Fact: 94-04 Cobra calipers share the same bracket and pad... However the calipers themselves are different. 94-98 had 38mm pistons, 99-04 had 40 pistons (some sources say 40.5mm)

Here are a couple links.
http://www.ffcars.com/forums/1585709-post2.html
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/whats-the-difference-in-cobra-front-calipers.833923/

OP
OP
D

daltonduree

Reaction score
acually i got these cheap enough i might just use them for the core charge

if i used 2001 mustang svt calipers with 13 inch rotors good hoses everything should work fine correct?
@Addermk2

OP
OP
D

daltonduree

Reaction score
aparently im wrong. thanks all for the information especially addermk2 for the info. couldve gone without the attitude. some of us are young confused and only know what we are told. thats why we are here.​

Addermk2

Reaction score
if i used 2001 mustang svt calipers with 13 inch rotors good hoses everything should work fine correct?
@Addermk2

You need the brackets with the calipers. Probably new banjo bolts too.

Where do you acquire the cobra brackets if you are upgrading a 95 gt?

You buy them with the calipers... AFAIK, there are no aftermarket companies producing JUST the brackets.

Addermk2

Reaction score
aparently im wrong. thanks all for the information especially addermk2 for the info. couldve gone without the attitude. some of us are young confused and only know what we are told. thats why we are here.​

You were told... Specifically in this thread.

Addermk2

Reaction score
but no one explained anything with pictures numbers and actual info like you. so thankyou

I beg to differ...

Negative

PBR (or equivalent) ↓

IMG_1652.JPG

Cobra ↓

90475d1266036929-1995-cobra-brakes-mustang-gt-cobra-kit2.jpg

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
Got it. Sort of. Do the brackets have a separate part number? I ask because I've been looking on rock auto also and maybe I'm blind but I haven't seen brackets listed when I'm looking at calipers.

Sorry for seeming dense guys I know what you're referring to just haven't seen them listed solo like previously mentioned.

Scratch that, found them. My bad.

OP
OP
D

daltonduree

Reaction score
Got it. Sort of. Do the brackets have a separate part number? I ask because I've been looking on rock auto also and maybe I'm blind but I haven't seen brackets listed when I'm looking at calipers.

Sorry for seeming dense guys I know what you're referring to just haven't seen them listed solo like previously mentioned.

the brackets are under brakes but not under calipers

Addermk2

Reaction score

Since everyone seems to be getting wrapped around the axle over this... lets make a general naming convention.

Are you looking for 99-04 GT/V6 calipers, or Cobra calipers?

Your answer will be responded to with part numbers and links.

the brackets are under brakes but not under calipers

now would be a good time for you to stop posting, so someone else can be helped

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
Since everyone seems to be getting wrapped around the axle over this... lets make a general naming convention.

Are you looking for 99-04 GT/V6 calipers, or Cobra calipers?

Your answer will be responded to with part numbers and links.

now would be a good time for you to stop posting, so someone else can be helped

I appreciate you helping me out. I did find as Dalton was saying that the brackets are sold separately on RockAuto however, these are the aluminum calipers WITH brackets which is what I will likely purchase.

http://www.cardone.com/Products/Product-Detail?productId=18B5122&p=rock