PCM wiring harness removal

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Alright so here I am asking the experts for help again. I am wanting to move the transmission harness from the main harness that comes out on the passenger side. I want to run the transmission harness through the trans tunnel somewhere so it goes under the car instead of through the back of the engine bay. I do not, however, know how to take this harness out. I know it goes through and connects to the pcm, but I don't see how to get it out short of removing the dash. Now if I have to remove the dash, I will, but I would like to do the harness move without taking the dash out. I have some pictures attached so you all can see what I am talking about.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
When I was reruning my harness I unpinned and ran everything then pin the connector. . Never finished tho. .

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yah, you will pretty much have to un-pin the trans harness wires from the PCM, pull the harness/wires through the firewall and separate from the main harness, re-route up through the tunnel, and then re-pin the PCM. I don't know if you would *have* to remove the dash, but considering that the wires are all sort of twisted around each other, and then taped, it might be very difficult to pull only the trans wires through the firewall without needing to get at the harness on the interior side of the firewall.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Yah, you will pretty much have to un-pin the trans harness wires from the PCM, pull the harness/wires through the firewall and separate from the main harness, re-route up through the tunnel, and then re-pin the PCM. I don't know if you would *have* to remove the dash, but considering that the wires are all sort of twisted around each other, and then taped, it might be very difficult to pull only the trans wires through the firewall without needing to get at the harness on the interior side of the firewall.

Ok, I understand that part of it. I have no problem un-pinning everything, I kind of thought I could get it unplugged from the pcm and pull it outside the car. Looks like I might be pulling the dash on this thing then.

On that note, I know its not a terrible job, but does anyone have a write up as far as bolt location and electrical connectors to look out for?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I deleted the antenna on mine and enlarged the hole where it went through and then rand it back through there. I did end up extending the wires about a foot but it worked.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I deleted the antenna on mine and enlarged the hole where it went through and then rand it back through there. I did end up extending the wires about a foot but it worked.

Ok, so you kept the plug for the harness in the fender well and ran your harness through the antenna hole? Or did you extend the main harness and put the plug inside the car?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online