PCV Valve - HELP!!!

WHTEVNM

Reaction score
I was driving my car yesterday and all of a sudden it began smoking a little bit from the engine bay. When I stopped the car and popped the hood I could see oil splattered on the back of the engine bay and oil leaking out the bottom of the back of the engine. I let it cool down and while I was snooping around I found that the pcv valve on the back of the lower intake had come out of it’s place. I cleaned everything up and put the valve back in. After researching this topic I found out that there is supposed to be a little filter that sits in the grommet for the pcv valve? Mine didn’t have one. I’m kind of worried that it fell inside the intake? Is that possible? Also, is it a common problem for the pcv valves to pop out on these cars? The motor has been rebuilt so I am hoping that they just left it out and it didn’t fall inside the intake. Thanks for the help.

(no blower or turbo, the car has some bolt ons but nothing radical)

Addermk2

Reaction score
Replace the valve and grommet, and make sure your intake tube to valve cover hose is still free flowing.

OP
OP
W

WHTEVNM

Reaction score
Thanks. Should I be concerned that I didn't find the little filter in the grommet hole?

1bad9d5

Reaction score
I wouldn't be to concerned, same thing happened to me Friday but it was when I was hitting boost during my street tune with my turbo... oil shot out right to the back of the engine bay.. no filter, just replace it and you should be good

330CubeGt

Reaction score
I've seen them get pushed out, mainly its because the original all oil soaked grommet is worn out.I've seen alot of guys silicone them in even. But a new grommet should do the trick.A nice breather tank setup would help the motor breath alot better to.

-330CubeGt

OP
OP
W

WHTEVNM

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys! What is a breather tank setup and how can I do it? Is there a kit I can buy?

330CubeGt

Reaction score
You run a hose from each valve cover to a breather tank/canister with a filter on it.We did it on my brother in-laws 5.0 and used a hole saw to punch out a hole in each cover to install grommets and run a -10fitting.I will look for a pic to show you what im talking about.

-330CubeGt

toyman

Reaction score
Adding a breather adds a whole set of new issues. From the factory that circulating system to deal with oil vapors uses metered air. Adding breathers is the equivalent of a large vacuum leak. If you have that much blow-by you have other issues. Guys running boosted systems may experience blow-by to various degrees depending on the condition of the engine. For them it's cheaper to add a patch rather than to do a engine build.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Adding breathers is the equivalent of a large vacuum leak.

I disagree...

Weird, we just did a breather setup on my brother-in-law's car with no issues. Capped the pcv and ran a breather.
My cobra went from a stock pcv setup to just a filter on either valve cover and had no issue's either.

The recirculation bullshit it just emission friendly stuff you dont really need. Atleast I rip it off of every car I have ever had and ran a canister or dual filters...

-330CubeGt

toyman

Reaction score
If you didn't block off the tube from the air intake to the VC then you have metered air issue. Capping the PCV will work as well as metered air is no longer being drawn in from the air intake tube. I didn't say you can't due this. However, if the blow-by is so serious that you need breathers you have another issue. Then there are some who just think breathers look cool.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The PCV screen is under the grommet. is will be in the intake.
It's hard to see unless your looking straight down on it. The grommet from the parts house doesn't fit very snug and that's why people silicon them in.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
I've never ran breathers because they look cool.Every motor I've ever had has also had a small amount of blow by. It happens...

Why do so many racecars run breather setups on a freshly built motor if there isn't a benefit or a reason behind it.

Hell most of the people here are on a budget and their motors have a ton Of miles on them and more blow by then usual.Therefore thats why I suggested be switch to a breather setup.

But everyone has there opinions on what works for them and what doesn't. So with that said he will just have to do his research and see what he thinks would work best.

-330CubeGt

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Here is a few pics of what we did.
vy2azyha.jpg
udaqezab.jpg
yta3ehyn.jpg
a6utu8a4.jpg

-330CubeGt

kb1982

Reaction score
I prefer to vent my crankcase pressure out of the rear main seal. Do those breather fittings have baffles built into them? Ive seen some that do, and I was wondering how much oil makes its way to the can without the baffled ones.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am adding a vortech and asked the same question to anyone that I thought might know the answer. I found in the end that there is no right or wrong way just depends on what works for you. I was told to do the breather and plug the pcv and then see what happens was about the best advice I could find and trust me I looked.... It seems to be a pretty big can of worms imo.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I disagree...

Weird, we just did a breather setup on my brother-in-law's car with no issues. Capped the pcv and ran a breather.
My cobra went from a stock pcv setup to just a filter on either valve cover and had no issue's either.

The recirculation bullshit it just emission friendly stuff you dont really need. Atleast I rip it off of every car I have ever had and ran a canister or dual filters...

-330CubeGt
On a N/A car. I would not run a open breather set up. . You lose the vacuum to the crankcase.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
I know the goal is to have a vacuum in the crank case.But on regular vehicles the intake manifold is used for the source of vacuum. Basically the engine is setup to consume its own blow-by gasses.

Not a great idea if you think of it from a performance stand point because it coats the intake in oil residue and lowers the effective octane of your fuel. But it certainly is economically efficient and good for the environment... lol

Blow-by gasses with any amount of oil in them will lower the effective octane rating of your fuel because the vaporized oil will ignite at lower energy levels than 87 octane. The more of it you allow to enter the cylinder, the more you will have to worry about detonation.

-330CubeGt

BLWNBYU

Reaction score
NA there is no reason to delete the pcv...
I ran 10# of boost for almost 10 years on the stock pcv without an issue.
I am running a vented catch can now but I have yet to get a drop of oil in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online