PCV valve replacement

godfearingman

Reaction score
Hi I hope I don't sound stupid or anything but is there any easy way to remove and replace the PCV valve and grommet on a 94-95 GT? I've never seen a PCV located where this one is with wiring and cruise control and throttle cables in the same vicinity as well making it even more difficult. Or should I remove the cable from the TB and gain more room to access it? Thanks in advance!

ranger56528

Reaction score
It's just a pain and removing the screen can be a challenge in itself,I can get my PCV out from driver side just takes some effort.

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
Hi I hope I don't sound stupid or anything but is there any easy way to remove and replace the PCV valve and grommet on a 94-95 GT? I've never seen a PCV located where this one is with wiring and cruise control and throttle cables in the same vicinity as well making it even more difficult. Or should I remove the cable from the TB and gain more room to access it? Thanks in advance!

i did mine with my upper intake removed and just used a small pair of needle nose pliers to remove the screen. just stick em down in there and pull it out. probably be a challenge with the upper on still.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I figured how to get a little better access to the valve and grommet but not the screen how hard is it remove and reinstall the upper manifold?

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
I figured how to get a little better access to the valve and grommet but not the screen how hard is it remove and reinstall the upper manifold?

it is actually surprisingly easy to remove the upper intake. it's like a 30 min job if you have done it a few times. just remove the throttle cable unplug all the plugs, they are pretty easy and they kinda only fit one way. remove your c.a.i. a couple vaccum lines. remove the top 5.0. cover plate on the upper intake and accsess the two bolt's underneath. there's 2 more at the back and two more at the front and wallah!! i would say deffinely replace the upper to lower intake manifold gasket and while your at it maybe the throttle body and egr gaskets two! there cheap and easy. clean up the egr and everything while your at it! replace any vaccum lines with plastic fitting adapters to make it easy would be a good idea if any look old. i redid my vaccum system and it made a huge difference on my car (mind you i had leaks). gives you a chance to clean your valve covers and everyting else wich is nice. any questions just ask and i am sure theres a nice write up and on how to somewhere on the site.!

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
it is actually surprisingly easy to remove the upper intake. it's like a 30 min job if you have done it a few times. just remove the throttle cable unplug all the plugs, they are pretty easy and they kinda only fit one way. remove your c.a.i. a couple vaccum lines. remove the top 5.0. cover plate on the upper intake and accsess the two bolt's underneath. there's 2 more at the back and two more at the front and wallah!! i would say deffinely replace the upper to lower intake manifold gasket and while your at it maybe the throttle body and egr gaskets two! there cheap and easy. clean up the egr and everything while your at it! replace any vaccum lines with plastic fitting adapters to make it easy would be a good idea if any look old. i redid my vaccum system and it made a huge difference on my car (mind you i had leaks). gives you a chance to clean your valve covers and everyting else wich is nice. any questions just ask and i am sure theres a nice write up and on how to somewhere on the site.!

Funny that you mentioned the vacuum lines most of the one's on mine are broken or missing and I don't know where the lead to so I blocked them off. You don't have an underhood picture of the vacuum lines and there routing do you? While I have the upper intake off I might as well replace the valve cover gaskets as well might buy an cobra intake I saw on craigslist while I have mine off.

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
Funny that you mentioned the vacuum lines most of the one's on mine are broken or missing and I don't know where the lead to so I blocked them off. You don't have an underhood picture of the vacuum lines and there routing do you? While I have the upper intake off I might as well replace the valve cover gaskets as well might buy an cobra intake I saw on craigslist while I have mine off.

hmm that's a loaded question lol. i dont have a pic unfortunatley. i can give ya a couple a bits of info though. i just resaecrhed the crap out of it and eventually figured it out. there should be a bundle of lines coming from the passenger wheel well. a green red yellow and i think white. all in one bundle with a connector in the middle. green goes to egr red goes to intake manifold white and yellow are for the air pump solenoids. underneath your upper intake you should have a line going from pcv to a T fitting and from the T fitting to two spots on the upper intake. there should be a lind going from the intake elbow area to the vaccum tree infront of driver side firewall. the vaccum tree should have one line going to the brake booster one line going to cruise control if u have it. another to the heat vent and ac controls. and one should be capped. there should also be another single vaccum hose goin from the wheel well area to the firewall into what look likes a electrical connector which is actually a purge solenoid valve. this one is important it vent's your gas tank fumes into your intake and can cause rough idle and gassy fumes into your cab. this vaccum line is almost always brittle hard and no good. thats a quick run down any way. it's pretty important to have them all functioning proper. can cause all sorts of problems like running really lean and burning up, rough idle, occansional stalling, hard to start. hesitation,etc....

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
hmm that's a loaded question lol. i dont have a pic unfortunatley. i can give ya a couple a bits of info though. i just resaecrhed the crap out of it and eventually figured it out. there should be a bundle of lines coming from the passenger wheel well. a green red yellow and i think white. all in one bundle with a connector in the middle. green goes to egr red goes to intake manifold white and yellow are for the air pump solenoids. underneath your upper intake you should have a line going from pcv to a T fitting and from the T fitting to two spots on the upper intake. there should be a lind going from the intake elbow area to the vaccum tree infront of driver side firewall. the vaccum tree should have one line going to the brake booster one line going to cruise control if u have it. another to the heat vent and ac controls. and one should be capped. there should also be another single vaccum hose goin from the wheel well area to the firewall into what look likes a electrical connector which is actually a purge solenoid valve. this one is important it vent's your gas tank fumes into your intake and can cause rough idle and gassy fumes into your cab. this vaccum line is almost always brittle hard and no good. thats a quick run down any way. it's pretty important to have them all functioning proper. can cause all sorts of problems like running really lean and burning up, rough idle, occansional stalling, hard to start. hesitation,etc....

The red and green are the easy one's lol the other two I don't know where they go I seen the three lines off the fender well but there all broken time the come out of the rubber fitting. Where do I get the parts to fix the broken vacuum lines and where?

lutter94

Reaction score
I did it with the intake all on, used a pic w/ 90 degree end on it. you can hook the mesh and pull out.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I did it with the intake all on, used a pic w/ 90 degree end on it. you can hook the mesh and pull out.

Thanks I didn't think about that I do have picks I can use but don't know if I need to replace mine or not I took it off and shook and it rattled going to see if I can remove it before cranking and running the car to see if it has vacuum or not do I need to have the car warm first or does it matter? Rather do it with it cold lol

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
Thanks I didn't think about that I do have picks I can use but don't know if I need to replace mine or not I took it off and shook and it rattled going to see if I can remove it before cranking and running the car to see if it has vacuum or not do I need to have the car warm first or does it matter? Rather do it with it cold lol

even if the pcv can move inside it will still need to be changed and probably 100% sure the filter below will be soaked with oil. as for the vaccum lines what you can do is remove that whole rubber fitting for the lines and get a peice of rubber hose that will fit over the plastic vaccum lines very snug and then just link them together on there own. it's a easy cheap fix. take a peice of the palstic line to the auto parts store and they should be able to find you some rubber hose.

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score

also it won't matter if the car is hot or cold. and the car should deffientley alway's have lots of vaccum from the upper intake at idle.that's how the EGR, pcv and lots of other things function.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
also it won't matter if the car is hot or cold. and the car should deffientley alway's have lots of vaccum from the upper intake at idle.that's how the EGR, pcv and lots of other things function.

I'll replace everything then in the next few days do I need to buy the motorcraft valve or are the parts stores brands okay?

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
I'll replace everything then in the next few days do I need to buy the motorcraft valve or are the parts stores brands okay?

any brand pcv should be fine. some stores will carry a different looking one but they all work. think all the ones they make for the mustang now are generic between a few years. the different looking pcv i got from napa actually routed the line better lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online