Peeling clear coat on spoiler

carbuff

Reaction score
My 98 rio red v6 has a problem on the stock back spoiler. The clearcoat is peeling off. The paint under it is fine but dull. Can a shop fix this without having to mix up some red paint? I figure it would be cheaper as they probably have lots of clearcoat just laying around. I know they make a single coat red now that matches pretty well but again I think as soon as thy have to order paint to match a color it becomes expensive. Can flaking clearcoat be repaired without disturbing the basecoat?

KHub98

Reaction score
No will have to be sprayed with base and clear coat applied. Pay attention to the color below the base due to red being translucent and the base color makes a huge difference.

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
Thanks, I figured as much. What about the one step (no clear or translucent base) that they make now to simulate the 3 step process? I believe the whole one side of my car is done with this and it matches great. It would be cheaper to use that, no?

5litrarag

Reaction score
Welcome to having a Rio Red car from the mid 90s.... my Rio Red Cobra has done the same thing. Once that clear starts to fail and rmove itself from the car, the base coat will quickly degrade as well and look like shit. Plan on painting the whole car if you are keeping it.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Have you thought about repainting it yourself?
Duplicolor has a lot of options and a clearcoat too.
You just cant put cleat back on top of flaked paint because you'll still see where the original line was. It's best to sand the whole thing down to feather the edge smooth then use a high build primer to raise the flaked area back up to the surrounding area by block sanding.

KHub98

Reaction score
Yes cheaper but does not last as long this is single stage paint. If vehicle is parked outside it will fade must keep waxed. But yes will work. If you plan on keeping it base clear is the way to go.

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys. I was thinking of doing it myself but I might make it worse. LOL. A guy on craigslist was selling one with perfect paint on it but it ended up being lazer red. Bummer. Maybe Ill just remove it for a while and see how I like that look.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My 98 rio red v6 has a problem on the stock back spoiler. The clearcoat is peeling off. The paint under it is fine but dull. Can a shop fix this without having to mix up some red paint? I figure it would be cheaper as they probably have lots of clearcoat just laying around. I know they make a single coat red now that matches pretty well but again I think as soon as thy have to order paint to match a color it becomes expensive. Can flaking clearcoat be repaired without disturbing the basecoat?

No, you'll see the line where the Lear ends and the basecoat begins. Doesn't matter what you do, that line is gonna come back. If you take it to a shop and have them respray it the price difference you're talking about is not even close to being worth short cutting it like that. Just do it right and have it resprayed.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, I figured as much. What about the one step (no clear or translucent base) that they make now to simulate the 3 step process? I believe the whole one side of my car is done with this and it matches great. It would be cheaper to use that, no?
Don't use single stage paints, it's all garbage and I've yet to hear anyone in my life say "wow, that looks great" when looking at a single stage paint job.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have "repaired" a couple of spots on my car with duplicolor rattle cans. And it wasn't something easy like a wing that can be removed and painted separately. The repairs have been good for 3+ years. and you would be hard pressed to find those spots.
If done correctly the repair can be seamless and last for years.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have "repaired" a couple of spots on my car with duplicolor rattle cans. And it wasn't something easy like a wing that can be removed and painted separately. The repairs have been good for 3+ years. and you would be hard pressed to find those spots.
If done correctly the repair can be seamless and last for years.
I guess doing auto body for a living, it just becomes second nature to see things in paint that nobody else notices.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I guess doing auto body for a living, it just becomes second nature to see things in paint that nobody else notices.

your probably the 10% of the people that could actually SEE the flaws in the paint and waves in body work. The other 90% would never know or care.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online