peformer intake and 70mm tb

drg0227

Reaction score
I was thinking about adding peformer intake upper and lower with a 70mm tb to my 94GT.. just wondering what the gains will be and if it is really worth the money. Right now i have mac cat back with a catted x pipe, cai, 70mm MAF. Also up for any other suggestions for HP gains I was also thinking afterwards to get a SCT 4 bank chip with a tune to give it some more pep :dunno:

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
I'd also like to know since I am going with this intake and TB size....However, you would be better off getting some Thumper E7 ported heads or just save up for aluminum heads. With that said, yes I do think you will pick up power, however IMO you will lose torque. Is it worth it with stock heads....I don't know. :dunno:

ryclef331

Reaction score
you've gotta figure out what direction you want to go with the car. Your choke point is going to be the heads. BUT, if you plan on going on ahead and puttin a nice set of heads on eventually, then putting on an intake NOW isn't going to be too bad of an idea. Its really a simple swap and a performer can work with your upgrades later on. As for porting E7Es and rebuilding them....why bother. for roughly 800-900 bucks (if you look hard enough) you can get a GOOD set of ALUMINUM heads.

Not trying to force ya into anything or plug myself but check the classifieds on here. I'm selling a ported (extrude honed) performer intake, adapter elbow, AND 75mm throttle body.

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
you've gotta figure out what direction you want to go with the car. Your choke point is going to be the heads. BUT, if you plan on going on ahead and puttin a nice set of heads on eventually, then putting on an intake NOW isn't going to be too bad of an idea. Its really a simple swap and a performer can work with your upgrades later on. As for porting E7Es and rebuilding them....why bother. for roughly 800-900 bucks (if you look hard enough) you can get a GOOD set of ALUMINUM heads.

Yea you could buy a set of USED aluminum heads for $900 or you could save up $300 more and buy a set of brand new ones. See how easy it is to just say "save up alittle more". But for some people its not that easy. And I suggested the ported E7s by Thumper because they cost the SAME as the performer intake and elbow not "save alittle more and get (fill in the blank)". The ported E7s will give you more bang for the bucks over the Performer but if you plan on going with 165s or something later then I would get the intake instead now so you will have a good intake to go with the heads later.

OP
OP
D

drg0227

Reaction score
For now if i just go with my stock heads what kind of hp increase would i be looking at?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
drg0227 said:
For now if i just go with my stock heads what kind of hp increase would i be looking at?

with the intake and tb.....prob around 15-20rwhp.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Stopsign32v said:
ryclef331 said:

Yea you could buy a set of USED aluminum heads for $900 or you could save up $300 more and buy a set of brand new ones. See how easy it is to just say "save up alittle more". But for some people its not that easy. And I suggested the ported E7s by Thumper because they cost the SAME as the performer intake and elbow not "save alittle more and get (fill in the blank)". The ported E7s will give you more bang for the bucks over the Performer but if you plan on going with 165s or something later then I would get the intake instead now so you will have a good intake to go with the heads later.

"save a lil more" and then you can buy something that will work for you now AND later. Ported E7's are still that...E7's. If he is planning ANYTHING more than a mild cam and that performer intake, those heads are going to be worthless to him.

OP
OP
D

drg0227

Reaction score
okay lets say im not going to add a s/c or nething like that... and i go with the ported E7's and Performer intake and 70mm TB will i need to upgrade any of the fuel or ignition systems?... sorry for all the questions but i am a bit new to this but would like to learn more thanks guys...

ryclef331

Reaction score
24lb injectors and a maf cal'd for them wouldn't be a bad idea at all. with a combo like that, you can alway hit it with a 100shot later down the road and REALLY run a number down the track. I know a handful of local foxes with stock bottom end, intake (edelbrock, typhoon, or equivalent), e-cam, intake, and some home ported E7s running LOW 11's to even high 10's with a 150 shot. Us being a bit heavier, ya maybe slower but thats not to say it still can't roll out. It would be a great setup to run on a stock block and not have to worry about splitting it down the middle. If you wanna get really serious down the road (like I did at the time) E7's may not be the best option though. Thats my take on it.

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
"save a lil more" and then you can buy something that will work for you now AND later. Ported E7's are still that...E7's. If he is planning ANYTHING more than a mild cam and that performer intake, those heads are going to be worthless to him.

I always hate this idea because all it does it put doubt in anything short of a set of AFR 205s and Holley intake. Ported E7's aren't the best heads by far but them with a good intake and cam setup will get you close to what aluminum heads on a stock internal car will get you for a FRACTION of the cost. And then on top of that you can spray the car with a 150 shot and run mid to low 12's. Who really needs more than that on the street? I understand what you are saying completely but somewhere you have to actually think realistically. If you aren't going to build a 347 down the road the ported E7's wont be a BAD choice. :dunno: Thats all I'm saying.

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
drg0227 said:
okay lets say im not going to add a s/c or nething like that... and i go with the ported E7's and Performer intake and 70mm TB will i need to upgrade any of the fuel or ignition systems?... sorry for all the questions but i am a bit new to this but would like to learn more thanks guys...

No...with that combination you will make around 260rwhp and 290rwtq give or take some. The stock injectors and pump will support that BUT like said upgrading them will not hurt at all and infact would be a good idea. However you could run the stock stuff. If you plan on running nitrous though the stock injectors and pump are out of the question, an upgrade would be a must. Its really not that big of a deal...$100 for a 255 pump and $200 for 24lb injectors. With the ported E7's and Performer intake you would be able to run about 105-108mph in the 1/4th. If you don't know what that is comparable to you MIGHT be able to out run a stock LS1 if you can drive. :dunno:

Here is something to give you a good idea...all NEW parts, none of that "you might can find something for $xxx if you look hard enough"

Thumper ported E7 heads $595+$100 refund when you send them your stock E7 heads
Edelbrock Performer intake $499
Custom cam $325
Total $1,319

The above combination will get you about 260rwhp and 290rwtq give or take some. Here is a example of an aluminum head combination and figures below.

AFR 165 stud mount heads $1329
Edelbrock Performer intake $499
Custom cam $325
Total $2,153

The above combination will get you about 320rwhp and 335rwtq give or take some.

So in the end power = money depending on what you want will determine which way you go. Anymore questions, just ask.

Edit: Oh and about the ignition just put some 8mm-9mm wires on the car, new plugs, new stock replacement cap and rotor and leave it alone! Don't fool with a MSD ignition box or anything like that. It will gain you nothing but headaches.

OP
OP
D

drg0227

Reaction score
Thanks alot for that last post...

To get more HP than the ported e7's, are there any heads that are assembled for less than 1000 such as windsor jr or roush 200 heads or maybe neothers out there... i am on a bit of a budget but would like to get as close to 300hp as i can with the best bang for my buck up for any ideas...

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
If you're on a budget then nitrous would be your friend.

If you don't want nitrous I would look in the classifieds. You could search through all of them or simply put "WTB: heads for my 302 looking to spend $600" or whatever you can swing. I think the best place for classifieds is on Corral.

OP
OP
D

drg0227

Reaction score
whats ur take on the world heads compared to the e7 and afr

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
AFR
World Product
E7

How bout this...you tell us how much money you are willing to spend and we will tell you the best way to spend it. That would be easier.

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
If that was the case I would get some stock box AFR 165s for $1,329 from Jegs. Get your Performer intake and maybe something else. Then I would save up for the rest of the things you will need for a good HCI. I know that isn't what you want to hear because you can't use them right now but that is definately the smartest thing to do. You COULD get used parts but you won't save much. AFR heads hold their value very well and I haven't found a performer intake for less than $395.

OP
OP
D

drg0227

Reaction score
ok this is what im thinking...

typhoon intake kit - $500 upper and lower intake elbow and 70mm tb
World Windsor Jr Heads - $800
E303 cam - 200
3.73 gears - 200

I dont plan on adding much else... i just want it to be some fun while im in school, then afterwards when im out of school i plan on getting a newer car and start to mod that. With that setup what can i expect to see for HP... and later on maybe a sct 4 bank chip, They say it can free up about 25 hp... so with that said what do u think... thanks again

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
Lord you got alot to learn...You can expect to see nothing with a mail order chip. I actually saw a 03 Cobra lose power from a mail order chip. But that is another topic. What you aren't thinking about is a HCI is alittle more than Heads, Cam, and Intake. The little things will nickel and dime you to death. You will also need pushrods probably, roller rocker arms, 24lb injectors, 255lb pump, a MAF for 24lb injectors and other things I'm forgetting to make it work right. You will also need to dyno tune the car or else it will be a pain in the ass to drive. And whatever you do STAY AWAY from the POS E303 cam. Get something like a Steeda #19, Trickflow Stage1, or other cam that is more up to date. Also do you know how to change the heads and put a cam in the car? Its a WHOLE different world from changing the intake. If you don't then you also have to figure up cost to pay someone to do it..... See what I mean? The hiden costs are what will kill you here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online