People who have an auto with a stall..... come in

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
If you have an Automatic Tranny and a stall please tell me what it's like driving it as a daily and/or driving it period. Tell me if it is worth it to get a 3000 stall. I was also looking at a J-Mod then later on down the road 3.73 gears.

I went to a local AAMCO transmission shop today and the guy told me I'd be a fool to put a stall in. Then another guy told me everyones stall he ever put it comes back within a week to take it back out. Then he told me that a shift kit doesn't really do anything and the J-Mod is just tricking it because it's letting more fluid out through the holes and isn't worth it.

OPINIONS!?!?!?

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
I don't have an auto in my car yet. I have been researching putting an auto in my car. What those guys from AAMMCO are saying does not jive with the guy who designed the 4R70W transmission. His name is Jerry and he designed the Jmod or Jerr's mod. Here is a link http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html# to where he talks about the Jmod. You have to understand that when they designed the auto for this car, they could not put a hard shifting auto into a production vehicle. The vast majority of people that bought auto cars new want a smooth shifting non-performance oriented transmission.

As far as the torque converter and stall goes, I would be looking at something closer to a 3400 RPM stall converter even if you have a stock motor. You will get better launches at the dragstrip.

There is a thread on here about torque converters. I would suggest reading that thread also as there is a ton of really good info in there. I think Voidfinger is working on making a writeup with all of that info into post so that eventually we might have a sticky.

Do the Jmod. It is really not all that difficult to do. Read the info in the link I provided.

Also, do a search for Johnny Langston. He drives a full weight Thunderbird to some amazing times. He has posted several times on this board and over on modulardepot.com as well.

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
jfor441 said:
I don't have an auto in my car yet. I have been researching putting an auto in my car. What those guys from AAMMCO are saying does not jive with the guy who designed the 4R70W transmission. His name is Jerry and he designed the Jmod or Jerr's mod. Here is a link http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html# to where he talks about the Jmod. You have to understand that when they designed the auto for this car, they could not put a hard shifting auto into a production vehicle. The vast majority of people that bought auto cars new want a smooth shifting non-performance oriented transmission.

As far as the torque converter and stall goes, I would be looking at something closer to a 3400 RPM stall converter even if you have a stock motor. You will get better launches at the dragstrip.

There is a thread on here about torque converters. I would suggest reading that thread also as there is a ton of really good info in there. I think Voidfinger is working on making a writeup with all of that info into post so that eventually we might have a sticky.

Do the Jmod. It is really not all that difficult to do. Read the info in the link I provided.

Also, do a search for Johnny Langston. He drives a full weight Thunderbird to some amazing times. He has posted several times on this board and over on modulardepot.com as well.

Yeah, the guy at AAMCO said that the transmission learns where to shift and learns all this stuff and if you put a shift kit in it can learn to get around it...
I don't go to drag strips and everyone who told me to get a stall said 3000 to 3200 on a stock motor to motor with mild mods.
This is my DD so keep that in mind. I've read up on TCs and the JMod it's just when a guy from AAMCO says that it kinda makes me stop and wonder... ya know?

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
Totally understand. Wait til JR gets in here. He has a lot of info and knowledge about auto transmissions. The 4R70W is electronically shifted by the computer in your car. Shift kits are not a good way o improve the shifting characteristics. Do the Jmod and I think you will be happy about it.

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been talking to him all day.
I wanted to talk to someone who actually had it in... hense the title of the thread. Get their opinion. I know what the stall does and all. I just want to talk to people who have them in already and the transition after install and stuff...

Reaction score
my96gtstang said:
Yeah, I've been talking to him all day.
I wanted to talk to someone who actually had it in... hense the title of the thread. Get their opinion. I know what the stall does and all. I just want to talk to people who have them in already and the transition after install and stuff...

JR knows his stuff when it comes to autos. hell he rebuilds the damn things, lol.

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
I know he knows his stuff. I've been talking to him all day haha
I just wanted to know from someone who has them in a daily or a car they drive often. If it's a pita or anything.

Cuz a friend told me that I wouldn't even notice I had a stall till I punched it and it hit the rpm the stall was at.

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
and the guy at AAMCO said that I would be foolish to have them cuz gas mileage is going to be sooo much worse with a stall. Plus it's not good for the tranny.

Reaction score
from what ive read and studied(even though im 5 speed) it shouldnt be bad at all. all it does in slip the clutch more till you get to the desired RPM at which time it locks up. If its a quality aftermarket unit it will hold up well. Look at all the huge deisels runnin stalls, if it was bad they wouldnt do it

Reaction score
"I" cant, lol. i dont have first hand experiance with one. so im not gonna tell you somethin i have no first hand knowledge. I beleive Jr used to run a stall

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
JR GET IN HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aha

Yeah, I mean so if it's a 3000 stall it will still move when I put it in drive without giving it gas like it does now right?
What all does it do because the guy at AAMCO made me wonder...

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
JR's definition form this thread http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=20149.0

Stall Speed - This does not mean that you need to rev your car to 3200 rpm or whatever it is before it will move. Stall speed is simply put, the speed when the front of the converter (engine side) and rear of the coverter (trans side) are moving the same speed. Now with a footbrake, you won't see the true stall speed, the car will move first, but with a trans brake you will because a trans brake locks the imput shaft. So take that into account when selecting a converter. Also, if you have a lock up unit, it doesn't matter if the stall speed is above your cruise RPM, the computer will still lock it, and your mileage will only suffer around town.

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah... JR is kind of smart when it comes to auto's. That or he is a really good bullshitter LMAO

Reaction score
ha! JR patient? lmao...you just dont know what goes on in the backroom. we aint as patient with everyone, haha

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
I guess I'm just cool. Most people on the forum seem to always get along with me very well haha.
Yall are stand up guys :thumb:
Thanks for all the stuff yall have showed me so far but I do ask a lot of questions.

Reaction score
you came about the question right, you didnt ask us for 15098827346987236 write ups on how to do it or what exhaust to pick. thats when we get evil...lol

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Well I also have a brain and even though I might be 19, I do know a lot. I just like to double check things. I make my own decisions on my exhaust haha. I just ask about things I want clarity on. Most 16 year olds ask dumb questions like that. Not me :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online