People with NA 4V knowledge, come in here for a minute

Goldmember

Reaction score
Thanks to the good news on my 04 GT, I'm keeping it until spring, hoping to trade it for a Mach 1.

Questions:
  1. How reliable are 4V's as stock daily drivers vs a 2V? I know they run a little hotter but what else?
  2. Are there 4V-specific issues I should check for on a test drive?

Other than that my other option is an early S197 but I would rather not go there. Too many issues with the 05-06 cars I can afford.

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
From what I see this is caused by inadequate coolant flow past the #8 cylinder? Have done some reading and it looks like it's a total ***** to burp a 4V compared to a 2V once you've done any kind of cooling system service.

96gt4.6

Reaction score
From what I see this is caused by inadequate coolant flow past the #8 cylinder? Have done some reading and it looks like it's a total ***** to burp a 4V compared to a 2V once you've done any kind of cooling system service.

its actually not that hard to burp them unless your doing it the wrong way

azurebluemach

Reaction score
its actually not that hard to burp them unless your doing it the wrong way

Yup, here's a good burp procedure how-to.

http://reischeperformance.com/refill.html

Also, I've not had any heat problems that weren't my fault anyways lol. I once forgot to put back in the cooling fan fuse. DOH! The temp gauge is always straight up pointing north no ,after home fun I have or how hot it is outside. There is heat soak, just like with any car in the heat of the summer. The only thing I've noticed is when I have the AC on, she feels like she looses 100HP lol.

azurebluemach

Reaction score
As far as the ticking goes, I've heard the same thing about it being a cooling issue to the cylinders closest to the firewall. I hear my clicking along happily, but I don't thinking it's the ticking sound everyone is talking about. Mine sounds the same on both sides.

Also, I think the 4v's are just as reliable as any of the other engines of the time. The 99 4v's had some issues but they were related to the heads I believe.

If there was any advice I'd give about the 4v's, or the Mach's in general is always use the Ford coil on plugs, because they are the most reliable. Don't replace the battery with a cheapo one. Get rid of the silly plastic clutch quadrant and replace it with an aluminum one, FFRP, steeda, or Maximum Mootorsports. Also, the Maximum Motorsports clutch/quadrant/firewall adjuster kit is the best out there and will last a long time. You'll never break a clutch cable. And finally, always put the right tranny fluid in the TR-3650 because the sychros are picky. I use Mobile 1 ATF in mine. There's probably more, but that's all I can think of right now lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.