performance chip?

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
:help2: I don't really know anything about them...just was wondering about everything. HP gains? how much? where to buy? are they worth it? opinions?

Thanks

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
With the hand held tuners that are on the market now the chips are a thing of the past. Unless you go to a dyno shop and have a custom dyno tune done that has a custom burnt chip to go in your car, like I had on my 98 :dancing6:. I got almost 20hp at the tires with mine.

OP
OP
B

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
hmm..that would explain why I havent seen barely anything about them. Thanks for your help :)

ALITL8

Reaction score
there's plenty of preformance chips still out there (i.e. hypertech, venom, etc.). that i know of there arent any handhelds for the 96-97. im going to have an SCT chip installed with a dyno tune on mine in the near future. that appears to be the best option and im expecting an increase in hp and better driveabilty/performance... thats what my tuner said :thumb:

edit:// oh yea and the price is roughly $600 for the chip and tune... supposed to be worth it ;D

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
there's plenty of preformance chips still out there (i.e. hypertech, venom, etc.). that i know of there arent any handhelds for the 96-97. im going to have an SCT chip installed with a dyno tune on mine in the near future. that appears to be the best option and im expecting an increase in hp and better driveabilty/performance... thats what my tuner said :thumb:

edit:// oh yea and the price is roughly $600 for the chip and tune... supposed to be worth it ;D

Mine was $500 for the dyno time (2 hours) chip and installation, and worth every penny

ALITL8

Reaction score
what kind of hp increase did you see? does it drive better, do you get quicker throtte response?? tell us more!!

ALITL8

Reaction score
something to do with the computer :dunno:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if you buy a handheld you want this one...
http://www.modulardepot.com/product_info.php?products_id=219

or you can get the SCT 4 Bank chip which is cheaper and allows you to store mutiple tunes that can be switched just by flipping the switch...hand helds need to remove tune and install new to switch.
I haven't heard that handhelds didn't work on 96-97 so if anyone has info on this please share.

96sohc

Reaction score
ALITL8 said:

I'm running an Xcal2 on my 96.
I can't tell you exact gains from just the Xcal as I had the PI Intake installed at the same time,
but I can tell you that my transmission shifts harder and pulls longer in each gear.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I got almost 20 at the tires with my dyno tune and the chip, it was much more snappy and very quick off the throttle. Plus it was smoother at idle.

ALITL8

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
or you can get the SCT 4 Bank chip which is cheaper and allows you to store mutiple tunes that can be switched just by flipping the switch.

i posted about this in another thread but the chip and tune is done!

SCT 4 Bank FTW :thumb: i only got 8 hp and 13 # of torque but my car runs 20x's better. i used to think our car ran good for the high mileage but now it just sings!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online