Performance Control Arms

BitchinCorolla

Reaction score
Hello all,

I gotta replace the ball joints on my Mustang. Mechanic said the control arms were rusted, and would probably have to be replaced alongside the ball Joints. I figure I’ll install some lowering springs while I’m down there, but I am wondering if I should install factory control arms or if there is a benefit to buying aftermarket control arms? Do they significantly improve performance, and if so, are there any y’all recommend? Thank you.

shovel

Reaction score
If you're not switching to coilovers at the same time I doubt there's any significant performance increase. BMR makes aftermarket control arms for factory style springs that claim to improve performance by reducing deflection (from the bushings) and they weigh slightly less but may also increase road noise because they have harder bushings. They make a set with "tall" ball joints specifically for lowered Mustangs that they claim correct for the dropped roll center which accompanies lowering a SN95 with otherwise stock geometry. That would naturally only make sense if your Mustang is lowered.
For both of my Mustangs I'm just going to put new OE style arms on.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Save money and stay stock for now. There's minimal benefit with only the arms being aftermarket.

NicksGTR

Reaction score
Save money and stay stock for now. There's minimal benefit with only the arms being aftermarket.
One thing Ford got right was their non greaseable ball joints. Alot nicer ride with the ball stud encased in neoprene than standard ball joints with zerk fittings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online