Perplexed

Ronnied

Reaction score
Ok here goes. As stated before I am a basic mechanic. I have the tools and the knowledge to do most repairs. With that being said most vehicles I've done have been relatively stock. Here is where I am.
96 Explorer 302, early gt engine. Stock bottom with E303 cam. Stock heads with Comp cam springs, 1.6 int, 1.7 exh Performance roller rockers, new roller lifters, BBK 70mm tb. It sounds like I have a collapsed lifter, they were soaked 4 days prior to install. High volume oil pump as well. I belive the original stamped steel rockers are 1.7 but probably wrong. Anyone think I may have a pushrod length issue? Please , I'm not looking for sarcasm, I'm married so I have that plentiful...I just need some advice. I'm not smart enuff when It comes to pushrod measurement but I can learn. Thanks in advance.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
The stock pushrod length for a roller cam 5.0 is 6.250(per the Comp Cams website)

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Ok here goes. As stated before I am a basic mechanic. I have the tools and the knowledge to do most repairs. With that being said most vehicles I've done have been relatively stock. Here is where I am.
96 Explorer 302, early gt engine. Stock bottom with E303 cam. Stock heads with Comp cam springs, 1.6 int, 1.7 exh Performance roller rockers, new roller lifters, BBK 70mm tb. It sounds like I have a collapsed lifter, they were soaked 4 days prior to install. High volume oil pump as well. I belive the original stamped steel rockers are 1.7 but probably wrong. Anyone think I may have a pushrod length issue? Please , I'm not looking for sarcasm, I'm married so I have that plentiful...I just need some advice. I'm not smart enuff when It comes to pushrod measurement but I can learn. Thanks in advance.
Hey man, we don’t kick around sarcasm when issues are involved. We are here to help to the extent of our abilities. That being said, can you pull the intake and distributor and spin the oil pump to see if the lifters are pumping up? I hate asking you to tear the car apart though. I’ve never checked pushrod length on a 302, only LS stuff, but I’d imagine it’s the same process. You’ll need an adjustable push rod for that though. There are really good videos on you tube outlining that process.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sarcasm? Here? Ok sorry I could not help myself but seriously we try to help anyone that we can. Iwarrior1016 is always good for good advice.

OP
OP
Ronnied

Ronnied

Reaction score
Thanks for the input and support, think I'll pull the upper intake and go from there. Then if so I can see what slack I may or may not have.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I would double check the oil pump
The gages may be off and you cold be running it low psi wise
Lifter may not be working properly if that is the case
Many factors with lifters and cam and oil pumps
Rotating assemblys

OP
OP
Ronnied

Ronnied

Reaction score
So for the hell of it I put the factory rockers back in, normal noise but definitely not like the rollers. I guess I should not have gone cheap.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I get the non adjustable roller rockers crane kit
Similar to the cobra 5.0 roller rockers
Very dependable and good performance
Works well pretty much any cam

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member