Petrol Smell

95MUZY

Reaction score
Hi

I have a nice 95 GT convertable and love to have the top down when out and about in the sunshine but I do have a little problem when in city traffic where I get a petrol smell drifting thru the car when sitting at lights or intersections, I always blamed other cars but in reality it is my stang that is suffering this. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

Downshift

Reaction score
You could be running rich. Sometimes when im at a light I will get that smell but I have an off road x pipe so I dont have any cats to stop the smell.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Pulled you inner fender liner out on the passenger side and take a peak at all the lines and solenoids in there. Thats where your evap canister is. If the lines are rotten, they can leak fumes right into the car. See it happen a few times. Also while you're in there, you can take off the big 20lb weight in there for chassis dynamics.

OP
OP

95MUZY

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, will check it out

Cheers

Dave

OP
OP

95MUZY

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the ointers, have got to the evap canister under the fender and found that the hoses had not been fitted back to it, i guess after the RHD conversion, it certainly was causing the gas smell and now its all back in place the engine runs a whole lot better to. :D

Cheers

chrajohns0

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
Pulled you inner fender liner out on the passenger side and take a peak at all the lines and solenoids in there. Thats where your evap canister is. If the lines are rotten, they can leak fumes right into the car. See it happen a few times. Also while you're in there, you can take off the big 20lb weight in there for chassis dynamics.
you said to take off the 20lb weight on there for chassis dynamics.... what are you talking about. i am confussed!

OP
OP

95MUZY

Reaction score
Hi
The suggestion is that on the passenger side front is attached a weight, going from the inner gaurd to the front bumper support it weighs 25 lb, I have removed it (just 2 nuts) and have found no difference to the way the car feels or behaves. If you have trouble locating it let me know and I will add some photo's. I am still wondering why they put it there!!!

chrajohns0

Reaction score
muzy.... add some pics for me if you would. i havent looked for it yet. being thanksgiving and all..... thanks!

S

scarface

I wouldnt mind see a pic of the weight. Im curious why they would put it there?

OP
OP

95MUZY

Reaction score
Photos of weight

SORRY UPGRADING FORUMS, ATTACHMENT WAS ERASED, YOU NEED TO REUPLOAD!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online