Pi cam install in progress... Need some guidance

blackdemon007

Reaction score
The chain did not jump on the cam gear, and yes sir I made sure cylinder 1 was at top dead center before anything came apart. I'm going to do as you guys said and take the rockers out first, but I'm going to take the front cover off to make sure the chain didn't jump off the crank gear.

Never messed with the heads on my car but if you would like an extra set of hands, just let me know.
I'm only about 30 minutes from Akron.

I'd be more than happy to come help out - just send me a PM.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Never messed with the heads on my car but if you would like an extra set of hands, just let me know.
I'm only about 30 minutes from Akron.

I'd be more than happy to come help out - just send me a PM.

Probably gonna sit idle till next weekend but if you're in for a shit show come on over man! Ill pm you my #

Zetec_Pride

Reaction score
It will be easier to just take the timing cover off. You'll have to go to an auto parts store and borrow a harmonic balancer puller and the power steering pump is a bit annoying, but overall it will be less aggravating than the other method.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
It will be easier to just take the timing cover off. You'll have to go to an auto parts store and borrow a harmonic balancer puller and the power steering pump is a bit annoying, but overall it will be less aggravating than the other method.

Started this process but it's slow with the cold weather! The harmonic balancer was easy, are there any good tricks to getting the power steering pump removed?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Started this process but it's slow with the cold weather! The harmonic balancer was easy, are there any good tricks to getting the power steering pump removed?

Or you could just un-bolt the entire pump assembly, 3 of the bolts are very easy to get. The 4th bolt has to be done with a wrench and at that point a 10mm ratchet wrench is your best friend because that bolt is loooonnnggg winded lol.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Or you could just un-bolt the entire pump assembly, 3 of the bolts are very easy to get. The 4th bolt has to be done with a wrench and at that point a 10mm ratchet wrench is your best friend because that bolt is loooonnnggg winded lol.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll take a look at it tonight for sure. It's probably easier to put it on ramps and get it from the bottom

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Reading threads like this make me say screw swapping in these PI cams :)

For the minimal gains I don't know if it's worth it...I will find out! Luckily I have all winter before I drive it and a company truck along with my personal truck. If it was my dd I'd never go for it unless I put in some better cams. For me it's been a great learning experience, but overall a fair amount of fun/ pain

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first set of cams that I put in my car didn't go so well. I had the old cams out, and I couldn't for the life of me get the stock valve springs out, so I had it flat bedded to a shop where he finished the install and tuned the car. The second set I was able to do in the car because the valve springs didn't need changed, so I unbolted the cams, pulled the cam gear off and pulled up on it to keep tension on the chain with one hand, and layed the cam in place with the other hand and slid the gear back on...how everything went smoothly Ill never know..lol Then the 3 sets of cams that I've installed after that have been with the motor out, so it wasn't bad at all...but don't give up, the first time is always the hardest!

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
The first set of cams that I put in my car didn't go so well. I had the old cams out, and I couldn't for the life of me get the stock valve springs out, so I had it flat bedded to a shop where he finished the install and tuned the car. The second set I was able to do in the car because the valve springs didn't need changed, so I unbolted the cams, pulled the cam gear off and pulled up on it to keep tension on the chain with one hand, and layed the cam in place with the other hand and slid the gear back on...how everything went smoothly Ill never know..lol Then the 3 sets of cams that I've installed after that have been with the motor out, so it wasn't bad at all...but don't give up, the first time is always the hardest!

Thanks for the encouragement man! I won't give up on it, that's for sure. I was hoping it would go as smoothly as your second go around sounds. It's just slow going with this unmotivating weather we have here!

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea this weather blows, and its supposed to get worse next week. I still have a lot of work to do on the car before spring, but this weather is not motivating me at all...

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Stock pi cams can run with 13.1 compression tuned or should I say with flattop cobra pistons unnotched. The valve opening/close events are really close to comp264. Valve lift amount is the difference. Surprisingly Pi cams are actually really good.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Stock pi cams can run with 13.1 compression tuned or should I say with flattop cobra pistons unnotched. The valve opening/close events are really close to comp264. Valve lift amount is the difference. Surprisingly Pi cams are actually really good.

These words might be motivation enough to get me out in the frozen garage tonight

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Remember now, I stated open & closing points. The lift values relative to crank degree... completely different.
Overlap of the 264 are a tad more

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
596967c977933b645c8350527c2ce409.jpg

Do your chains like this and then line up the marks on the sprokets to the chain links.

Take off chain tentioners, look them over good, now release the backlash arm by taking a thin flat screwdriver, pressing down on the backlash lock. Take a paper clip, insert into tiny hole when you get the tentioner piston completely compressed.

Any my tricks to compressing the piston?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online