Pi cam install in progress... Need some guidance

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Ok cool, I just went in the shop and did mine lol. Take them off first, then use either a vise or c-clamp to push the plunger down. Then the lock on the ratchet mechanism moves over easy with a small screwdriver and when you push the ratchet piece down you can hold it in place with a paper clip.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Ok cool, I just went in the shop and did mine lol. Take them off first, then use either a vise or c-clamp to push the plunger down. Then the lock on the ratchet mechanism moves over easy with a small screwdriver and when you push the ratchet piece down you can hold it in place with a paper clip.

Thanks man! Mine keeps slipping off the old c clamp... Might be time to buy a vice

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
thanks for the info, I got it down! Thanks for the quick reply, I owe u man

Not a problem at all. I am at work, with nothing to do at the moment, plus im on the forum allllllll day lol. Glad to see you got it down. You need any other pointer just come on back I am here till 4:30

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Not a problem at all. I am at work, with nothing to do at the moment, plus im on the forum allllllll day lol. Glad to see you got it down. You need any other pointer just come on back I am here till 4:30

Thanks a ton... I got out early today but it's about 14 deg in the garage so this is good progress for now lol

1bad95

Reaction score
Here is a vid I was watching last night bc I know squat about the timing chains, was looking to gain some knowledge.

Ford 4 6L V8 In Car Service of Timing Chain Part 01: http://youtu.be/p4eIw5Yng8U

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Here is a vid I was watching last night bc I know squat about the timing chains, was looking to gain some knowledge.

Ford 4 6L V8 In Car Service of Timing Chain Part 01: http://youtu.be/p4eIw5Yng8U

thank you! This will help a lot, I've read every article that comes up on google search so far and have been given some great advice here. This thread is why we have the best forum around! Instead of getting flamed by guys that don't know either, you guys have walked me through getting the job done properly to this stage. Sorry my work is drawn out and slow due to the temps outside, but I'll keep posting progress as I go

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
thank you! This will help a lot, I've read every article that comes up on google search so far and have been given some great advice here. This thread is why we have the best forum around! Instead of getting flamed by guys that don't know either, you guys have walked me through getting the job done properly to this stage. Sorry my work is drawn out and slow due to the temps outside, but I'll keep posting progress as I go

Progress is progress whether a lot or a little, keep plugging along

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Progress is progress whether a lot or a little, keep plugging along

Thanks for the encouragement brother! Got the other side off and the new PI cam sitting in it's new home

Other side

taking my time to get everything lined up, but I'll be using this guide tomorrow to set the timing from scratch (looks like a viable source). I didn't understand any of this until I tore it down, with everyone's help and diving into it I have learned a lot... And how I can make less mistakes next time!

http://phatdoggy.home.comcast.net/~phatdoggy/sohc_timing.htm

1bad95

Reaction score
Awesome!! Thanks for that link on the timing set up! Just bookmarked for the future

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Lot's of good info here. I plan to install my Pi cams soon and this will make it easier.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Lot's of good info here. I plan to install my Pi cams soon and this will make it easier.

I didn't plan on being a worst case scenario but I fell into it lol! Learn from my mistakes and take your time. I have lots of cell phone photos and will post them up when everything is back together successfully. Hope I can help out future enthusiasts

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Stock cam timing is straight forward unless your really dialing them in like... lapping sprocket keys.

Be sure to check your lash adjusters. Make sure they feel squishy/springy. If not either or, replace them

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If they are solid locked, place into a vise and squeeze out the oil multiple times. Or you could solid lash the cams. Youll need shims to go under the lash adjusters, but youll gain more out of the cam. It be like pi cam upgrade...upgrade

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Stock cam timing is straight forward unless your really dialing them in like... lapping sprocket keys.

Be sure to check your lash adjusters. Make sure they feel squishy/springy. If not either or, replace them

Thanks for the advice! I'll check them out and make sure everything is springy... I'll be using that video you posted to get the cam guides back in

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
If they are solid locked, place into a vise and squeeze out the oil multiple times. Or you could solid lash the cams. Youll need shims to go under the lash adjusters, but youll gain more out of the cam. It be like pi cam upgrade...upgrade

Hopefully they aren't too locked up, although I wouldn't mind getting more out of all this work lol. Looking at the engine now, it's tempting to look for a cheap set of PI heads. I just know my exhaust manifold bolts are in pretty rough condition

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online