Pi cam install in progress... Need some guidance

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Cams are in, everything torqued to specs and the timing has been set from scratch. After everything was tightened down, I spun the crank and it moves free without any interference (should be good to go). The video [MENTION=14727]96blak54[/MENTION] posted saved me hours of cursing and the rocker arms went in without much trouble (although I suggest having a magnet handy for when you drop one)

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
By the way if anyone's grandparents are looking to reduce the power of their grand marquis I will let these npi cams go for a good price

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I should have swapped heads, but I like to think ill add some forced induction in the future... One ? Tho, my buddy said at top dead center the rocker arms should have some play. I have not heard of this (he's a honda guy) any input?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I should have swapped heads, but I like to think ill add some forced induction in the future... One ? Tho, my buddy said at top dead center the rocker arms should have some play. I have not heard of this (he's a honda guy) any input?

I think the play he would be talking about would be the lash adjuster, they may not hold complete tension on the cam until they are pumped up with oil. Did you pull your lash adjusters out of the heads? And just a question, but what made you go with just PI cams instead of a stage 2 npi cam? I had a really nice set of bullet stage 2's here i could have passed off for a decent price. (Don't curse me too bad, I just remembered i needed different cams for my build lol)

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I think the play he would be talking about would be the lash adjuster, they may not hold complete tension on the cam until they are pumped up with oil. Did you pull your lash adjusters out of the heads? And just a question, but what made you go with just PI cams instead of a stage 2 npi cam? I had a really nice set of bullet stage 2's here i could have passed off for a decent price. (Don't curse me too bad, I just remembered i needed different cams for my build lol)

I didn't pull the lash adjusters out so they are still full of oil in that case. I went with the pi cams because they were cheap lol. It's all still apart as far as timing cover and valve covers. What are you asking for the stage 2 cams?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Your honda buddy is right. Take out adjusters to squeeze out trash. The years of oil dirt build up gets trapped in the adjuster and locks it fully extended. That fully extended adjuster pushes the valve off the seat by a tiny bit when it shouldnt be. Although really not a problem with 2v heads, but a pandemic with 4v. Remember the '99 cobra recall? Squeezing the oil out and checking the spring or buying new ones is the fix

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Your honda buddy is right. Take out adjusters to squeeze out trash. The years of oil dirt build up gets trapped in the adjuster and locks it fully extended. That fully extended adjuster pushes the valve off the seat by a tiny bit when it shouldnt be. Although really not a problem with 2v heads, but a pandemic with 4v. Remember the '99 cobra recall? Squeezing the oil out and checking the spring or buying new ones is the fix

Thank you, I should have done this before (as you suggested). I wouldn't be opposed to buying new ones, however if they are just as good if I bleed them I'll have no problem doing that. Do they go bad easily, or just fill with gunk usually?

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score

Bled each one three times, all have returned to a nice spongy feel.... That should be nice vs $150 for a new set!

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Simple enough!
Thanks for all the help! Your advice took a minute (and some tearing down of the engine) for it to make sense to my novice mind, but has been key into gaining an understanding of this. U guys are great!

myk

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help! Your advice took a minute (and some tearing down of the engine) for it to make sense to my novice mind, but has been key into gaining an understanding of this. U guys are great!

Thank YOU for creating this thread. It'll be instrumental in my PI swap that started today...

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Thank YOU for creating this thread. It'll be instrumental in my PI swap that started today...

I feel like my ignorance has pulled some great minds out of the woodwork to help me along.... Good luck with your build! Hope I can be a resource to the future modders, like the great people of this forum have been to me

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ignorance is failure to attempt! Failure is essential to intelligence. Quiting is ignorance.

However it goes, you my friend are on the opposite spectrum of ignorance. We all here for you, one of us will know the answer.

I love to watch people grow into the sport and any info I know is considered yours. No sence in keeping it bottled. Its not doing me any good...lol

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Ignorance is failure to attempt! Failure is essential to intelligence. Quiting is ignorance.

However it goes, you my friend are on the opposite spectrum of ignorance. We all here for you, one of us will know the answer.

I love to watch people grow into the sport and any info I know is considered yours. No sence in keeping it bottled. Its not doing me any good...lol

Well thanks for the kind words and sharing of the knowledge! I have most of the hard stuff done, just been cleaning and painting the ugly parts that have seen too many years of abuse.

black paint looks better than corroded aluminum in my opinion.
This should be back together soon.

On a side note, what kind of paint do you guys use for valve covers? I've considered crylon fusion because they are plastic, but I'm not sure if I need a high heat paint instead.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
On a side note, what kind of paint do you guys use for valve covers? I've considered crylon fusion because they are plastic, but I'm not sure if I need a high heat paint instead.

When I did my cam covers, I send blasted them and used VHT high temp primer and paint on them.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Used some rustoleum BBQ grill paint for the block, took off the guides and made sure timing was set correctly for a second time. I am confident to put it all back together now... Here's some lousy cell phone pics!

And it was almost 30 degrees out, so I was able to work with the garage door open today!

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Awesome! But really 30 degrees? With the door open? You crazy man lol if it's 30 degrees down here we don't get out of our houses

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.