Pi cam install in progress... Need some guidance

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
That second one you posted worked for me! Car sounds like it's running great, idled real smooth. I guess you got it right lol. Have you been able to drive it yet?

Thanks man! Haven't driven it yet, the high tomorrow is 1 degree F... There's salt all over the roads and my ranger is already rusting pretty bad. I'll hold on till the roads are clear so I don't have two rust buckets! I'm pretty pumped tho, i just want to get some vac lines to make it idle a little smoother

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You should make a YouTube channel for videos. They turn out much better than photobucket videos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I agree... Photobucket compresses them and they look like I'm taking videos from a flip phone. I'll probably end up getting a YouTube account eventually, although I'll need some cooler videos to upload first

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I'll probably be looking to do this next. as with all swaps tho, while it's torn apart I'll want to replace other things as well... Meaning more $ to save up lol

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
It's been a few weeks and still haven't driven it (due to weather) but I finally got around to starting a YouTube account. Here's a better video.
http://youtu.be/1MY_T-KW5e8
The exhaust sounds a little choppy, but I never paid attention to it before. Bama sct x4 tuner with a few custom tunes is in route to my place, might smooth some of the choppiness

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good job man, sounds great. Wonder when we'll be able to drive them. The day after the sub-zero temps went away, we get dumped on with snow...gotta love Ohio...

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Good job man, sounds great. Wonder when we'll be able to drive them. The day after the sub-zero temps went away, we get dumped on with snow...gotta love Ohio...
Thank you sir! And and I know man, t seems like every Sunday it warms up and dumps snow. Hopefully it turns around soon

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
That is a nice car! Good work! The rules state "after completion of any mod, one must lay down hella-rubber"!

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
That is a nice car! Good work! The rules state "after completion of any mod, one must lay down hella-rubber"!
Thanks man! And that's the plan, I can't wait for this snow to clear up, been itching real bad to get this car out on the road

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Got my sct x4 tuner and custom tune installed in the car today, it wasnt snowing so i took it for a spin. It runs pretty rough and when i got back from going around the block, i saw the coolant leaking from the intake manifold. Guess its time to pull it back off and re-RTV the sucker. Hopefully this clears it up. Dont think it would idle that well if the timing was off, so i hopefully just have a manifold gasket leak

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
1. Drain the coolant down, remove intake, clean area where rtv is needed. Scrup 2inches down with some scotchbrite/steel wool and brake cleaner. Let dry clean with non residual solvent. Take red rtv and build up a nice wall, over the surface. Use new pi intake gasket! Situate gasket on surface. Lay intake on surface. Screw bolts down finger tight and walk away. Let it sit over night. Torque properly the next day and walk away. Let dry for another day. Add coolant check for leaks. More dry rtv time in this cold weather would be idea.

2. Send me your heads and ill weld up that area. No rtv needed! Ill be sure your happy with over comparable reasults of a pi head swap
[emoji6]

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
1. Drain the coolant down, remove intake, clean area where rtv is needed. Scrup 2inches down with some scotchbrite/steel wool and brake cleaner. Let dry clean with non residual solvent. Take red rtv and build up a nice wall, over the surface. Use new pi intake gasket! Situate gasket on surface. Lay intake on surface. Screw bolts down finger tight and walk away. Let it sit over night. Torque properly the next day and walk away. Let dry for another day. Add coolant check for leaks. More dry rtv time in this cold weather would be idea.

2. Send me your heads and ill weld up that area. No rtv needed! Ill be sure your happy with over comparable reasults of a pi head swap
[emoji6]

Just finished putting the intake back on! I cleaned the heck out of it, and added a decent amount of RTV. It was obvious where it was leaking, and i didnt have any along this area. The rear didnt leak, but i added a little to it as well. Gonna let it sit till sunday probably, gotta work 12s tomorrow and sat. Its amazing how much faster this went the second time around

d.garza18

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement brother! Got the other side off and the new PI cam sitting in it's new home

Other side

taking my time to get everything lined up, but I'll be using this guide tomorrow to set the timing from scratch (looks like a viable source). I didn't understand any of this until I tore it down, with everyone's help and diving into it I have learned a lot... And how I can make less mistakes next time!

http://phatdoggy.home.comcast.net/~phatdoggy/sohc_timing.htm
Do you happen to have this timing how to? The link doesn’t work

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Very simple!

Stretch the chain out like the pic. Mark them links and match them to the timing marks on the sprockets. Be sure none of the followers are in so that there is no piston to valve(ptv) interference.
8b0ce633eafc051db6695d1009ca2425.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online