PI Camshaft

delling3

Reaction score
I am contemplating doing a PI cam and intake swap for my NPI '96 GT. I have seen the write ups here, and watched some vids on Youtube. I know that I am late into this game - seems like most of the write-ups were done 10 years ago when these cars were still fairly new, and it seems that PI cams were once fairly easy/cheap to come by. Now it seems that the only options I can find are to spend a fair amount of dough for an set of new aftermarket cams. Does anyone know a source where I should check for alternates?

Also, at least one of the write ups here (http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?51-Truth-about-NPI-vs-PI) suggests using a NPI gasket for the intake swap, while others suggest using a PI intake gasket. Both approaches also require the use of RTV for the area where the NPI head and PI intake don't match up. Has a preference developed for which gasket to use?

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Way back when I did the intake swap on my 98 I used the PI gasket with RTV. Never had an issue with it. Of course I traded the car in a month later.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a set of Bullitt Cams PI+ that you can have for $300. They are just right, I have too many cams and not enough engines.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
So, trying to decide if I have the stomach to tackle this job. I have read many different opinions on this. Some say to use the Anderson Cam tool, others say the tool isn't foolproof, and pull the timing cover. Looking at the Haynes manual, pulling the timing cover involves dropping the oil pan, and suddenly what looked to be a reasonable amount of work becomes much more involved. Looking at the Anderson tool, and reading the directions, it seems like this thing isn't terribly simple to use, and I haven't found a video demonstrating it's use. Looking for someone who has (successfully) used the tool to help me decide if I am up to this job.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The Anderson tool works great AFTER some practice. The oil pan doesnt need to be dropped, just the 4 front bolts

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
The Anderson tool works great AFTER some practice. The oil pan doesnt need to be dropped, just the 4 front bolts
Interesting. I assume you are talking about the 4 front bolts on the oil pan? If so, how do these 4 bolts impact removal of the timing cover? I had assumed that the timing cover somehow was interlocked with the oil pan (why else would the manual call for removing the oil pan?).

sk8erord

Reaction score
Interesting. I assume you are talking about the 4 front bolts on the oil pan? If so, how do these 4 bolts impact removal of the timing cover? I had assumed that the timing cover somehow was interlocked with the oil pan (why else would the manual call for removing the oil pan?).
There are 4 bolts that go through the front of the oil pan into the bottom of the timing cover. Just remove those and make sure not to drop anything in the oil pan. It exposes about 1-1.5 inches of the front of the oil pan.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I promise we will not lead you down a rabbit hole.... only to find yourself working backwards to fix it correctly.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
So, I was talking with someone who told me that if I swap cams that I will need reprogram the ECU. Fact or fiction? I told him that I thought he was mistaken, but he was pretty insistent, and has a broader knowledge base about cars that I do . . .

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
you really dont need the anderson tool. back in the day i swapped to PI cams by taking off the timing cover and then years after that i swapped to MHS cams using the ford OTC tool (anderson copied this tool). Both ways were easy, but for a first timer, i would suggest going the long way and taking off the timing cover and chains for two main reasons: 1) you can inspect the condition of the timing guides and chains, and replace as needed and 2) so long as you set crank to the correct position and line up the marks/links on the chains to all the sprockets, you can't screw up the timing. plus, it makes it so much easier to verify that you've done everything correct and havent skipped a tooth on a gear.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
OK, I am pretty much sold on not buying the tool, if for no other reason to evaluate the timing chain tensioners, etc. I do have a question about the cams themselves. Looking at a video on Youtube, I now understand that Windsor cams have pressed on gears, while the Romeo cams have gears bolted on. I am not sure what engine is in my '96GT. So, should I plan for the worst and get a set of cam gears along with the cams?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online